mounting bindings? 3.5mm vs. 4.1mm drill bit?

Old November 11th 06, 04:47 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
superfastcarl

Default mounting bindings? 3.5mm vs. 4.1mm drill bit?

I mounted my own bindings recently (swap meet stuff) and had a local
shop function test the bindings.

After I did some reading....I found that I was supposed to use a 4.1mm
drill bit and tap through the metal (aluminum?) sheet that runs through
the middle of my skis. I only used a 3.5mm bit and didn't tap.

what's the worst that can happen? realistically?

is it worth pulling the binding re-drilling and re-tapping? will that
make it worse or better? what's the benefit of using the 4.1mm bit?

thanks...any advice appreciated and I won't sue anybody if my skis
explode.

carl

Old November 11th 06, 04:54 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
lal_truckee

superfastcarl wrote:
I mounted my own bindings recently (swap meet stuff) and had a local
shop function test the bindings.

After I did some reading....I found that I was supposed to use a 4.1mm
drill bit and tap through the metal (aluminum?) sheet that runs through
the middle of my skis. I only used a 3.5mm bit and didn't tap.

what's the worst that can happen? realistically?

I think you mean 3.6mm? Binding drills are 4.1 x 9 and 3.6 x 9. You are
correct that the 4.1 x 9mm bit is for metal lam skis and the 3.6 x 9mm
bit is for most other alpine skis. Are you sure you have metal lam skis?
I'm surprised you could screw the screw into a 3.6 untapped hole on
metal skis by hand.

Assuming you do have metal skis, I imagine the metal sheet could be
warped by the screws in undersize holes, but I wouldn't worry about it -
what are you going to do if you pull the bindings, redrill and tap, and
the screws don't hold in the now butchered holes?

Ski on them until they die. It's too late now, so get on with your
season. If you have premature failure, chalk it up as a learning experience.

Old November 12th 06, 07:35 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
superfastcarl

actually I"m not sure it's a full sheet of metal in there. It's a
middle layer...but it could also be a layer of some sort of weave that
has metal in it, but not a full sheet. They're K2 Axis skis...not sure
what year.

I was always under the impression that skis that required a 4.1mm bit
usually had it stamped or written on the skis themselves.

at any rate...I'm not too worried about it at this point. I've got a
relatively low DIN setting for my skier type so the chances of me
puling the binding out before I pop out of the binding first is slim.

thanks,
Carl

On Nov 11, 8:54 am, lal_truckee wrote:
superfastcarl wrote:
I mounted my own bindings recently (swap meet stuff) and had a local
shop function test the bindings.

After I did some reading....I found that I was supposed to use a 4.1mm
drill bit and tap through the metal (aluminum?) sheet that runs through
the middle of my skis. I only used a 3.5mm bit and didn't tap.

what's the worst that can happen? realistically?I think you mean 3.6mm? Binding drills are 4.1 x 9 and 3.6 x 9. You are