"Climate changes melting tourism in Swiss Alps"

Old March 14th 06, 12:20 AM

Vincent Walker wrote:
lal_truckee wrote:

Vincent Walker wrote:
The theory is that the reversing of polarity was the
reason that Mars eventually lost its atmosphere.

What theory is that, pray tell?

I saw this on Nova on PBS. Basically besides gravity the atmosphere is believed to be held in
place by magnetic forces. As the molten cores of the terran planets cool over time their
magnetic fields reverse and weaken. Mars, by the combination of its smaller size and
position in the solar system - theoretically of course - eventually lost its ability to hold an
atmosphere in place.

You do know you either hoaxed yourself or they hoaxed you? (I won't
comment on which I think happened.) The Earth's mag field has reversed
numerous times; it has nothing to do with the atmosphere. Cooling cores
are not the driver, either.

The last reversal was about 780,000 years ago.
Old March 14th 06, 12:41 AM

klaus wrote:

The Real Bev wrote:
VtSkier wrote:

The Real Bev wrote:
Vincent Walker wrote:
The Real Bev wrote:

Isn't there a reason it's called Greenland rather than Whiteland?

Scientists are now saying that the Earth is reversing it's polarity. All
compasses will wind up pointing south. Imagine what that'll do. The
theory is that the reversing of polarity was the reason that Mars
eventually lost its atmosphere. Oh well.............

Forget that crap, where can I get a reversable compass?

Actually it won't matter, as long as you know your
compass will point south instead of north. It'll
be like learning the metric system by throwing away
your imperial measuring devices and buying metric
devices.

No it won't!

Just don't fly that day.

No problem.

OK, smartass, will east and west switch too? Does it rotate or flip?

Nature never flips. Besides, it's already a crap shoot. It's called
magnetic declination.

OK, Mr. Scientist, will magnetic south be exactly where magnetic north is
now, or will it be in a slightly different place, or maybe even on the
actual rotational pole?

One more thing that English majors don't know...

--
Cheers,
Bev
Old March 14th 06, 12:43 AM

Vincent Walker wrote:

The Real Bev wrote:
OK, smartass, will east and west switch too? Does it rotate or flip?

One thing's for sure, you're going to need your SPF 150. The question
that I have isn't the increased radiation going to heat the atmosphere
and if we are in the middle of this process - maybe just maybe this is
the primary reason for Global Warming. If you recall all the debate
about the Ozone layer, maybe the loss is related to the magnetic field
reversal. I'm not saying that CO2 isn't a contributing factor but maybe
the major reasons for Warming are well beyond our control. That would be
a real kick in the ass.

Especially for the Sierra Club.

Old March 14th 06, 01:17 AM

The Real Bev wrote:
VtSkier wrote:

The Real Bev wrote:

Vincent Walker wrote:

The Real Bev wrote:

Isn't there a reason it's called Greenland rather than Whiteland?

Scientists are now saying that the Earth is reversing it's
polarity. All
compasses will wind up pointing south. Imagine what that'll do. The
theory is that the reversing of polarity was the reason that Mars
eventually lost its atmosphere. Oh well.............

Forget that crap, where can I get a reversable compass?

Actually it won't matter, as long as you know your
compass will point south instead of north. It'll
be like learning the metric system by throwing away
your imperial measuring devices and buying metric
devices.

No it won't!

OK, smartass, will east and west switch too? Does it rotate or flip?

It'll be whatever the Bureau of Standards decides it is.
It's all arbitrary anyway.

Now how's that for a (non) answer?
Old March 14th 06, 01:19 AM

Vincent Walker wrote:
lal_truckee wrote:

Vincent Walker wrote:

The theory is that the reversing of polarity was the
reason that Mars eventually lost its atmosphere.

What theory is that, pray tell?

I saw this on Nova on PBS. Basically besides gravity the atmosphere is believed to be held in
place by magnetic forces. As the molten cores of the terran planets cool over time their
magnetic fields reverse and weaken. Mars, by the combination of its smaller size and
position in the solar system - theoretically of course - eventually lost its ability to hold an
atmosphere in place.

Hmmm. It's my belief that Mars has an atmosphere. It's
not as dense as Earth's, and it's high in CO2, but it's
there.

Could you 'splain to me how magnetism can possibly hold
an atmosphere in place?
Old March 14th 06, 02:22 AM

Vincent Walker wrote:
VtSkier wrote:

Could you 'splain to me how magnetism can possibly hold
an atmosphere in place?

Combination of magnetism and gravity was how it was explained to me. There are enough
gaseous ions with + and - charges in the atmosphere to be affected by magnetism. I know
water (therefore water vapor) is polar in nature and I am fairly certain Ozone is as well (also
being inherently unstable). Yes Mars does have an atmosphere but one school of thought
suggests that the recent evidence of running water on the planet indicates that at some point
in its past the atmosphere was much denser. As the planet cooled and it's field weakened,
the atmosphere significantly thinned out. Correct me if I'm wrong but they have found
evidence that water existed on Mars yet they haven't actually found any. Nobody is saying
that this is fact - it's a theory. It's interesting to talk about but I'm certainly not offering it as
empirical fact. We could talk about whether or not Jupiter is actually an unignited star. Who
knows.

Ions tend to react with static electricity charges, but I have
never heard of them reacting very much to magnetism. Or rather,
I haven't heard of planetary magnetism being strong enough
to react with atmospheric ions.

Cosmic rays are quit another thing. They are so highly charged
that any polarity can deflect or attract them.

Having or not having liquid water is not the same as having or
not having an atmosphere. There is certainly evidence of erosion
on Mars. The cause of this erosion is still very much up in the
air. We have wind driven erosion here on Earth. The Loess beds
of Europe and North America are strong evidence for it. What
we have is the softening effect of water erosion. We can't detect
what the surface effects of wind erosion are here on earth
except for areas that have soft materials to blow around and
are blown around all the time, like deserts and beaches.

Consider Mons Olympus. It is a dead volcano. It is very, very
old. It has signs of erosion all over it. If it were here on
earth, it wouldn't be much bigger than Mount Ascutney, another
dead volcano, here in Vermont.

If there was liquid water on Mars at some time in the past,
which is quite a different quest than finding an atmosphere,
it was so long ago that it didn't have time to reduce Mons
Olympus to the size it should be if water were there to do
the work.

As for Jupiter, it has long been thought to be Sol's alter
ego as part of a binary system. Its lunar "children" are nearly
planets themselves, and the the only other liquid water in
the Solar System may well be found on one of those moons.
Nobody knows if Jupiter is unignited or if its "flame" went
out. It does give off huge amounts of energy, which is why
there may be liquid water on one of its moons.
Old March 14th 06, 03:24 AM

Vincent Walker wrote:

The Real Bev wrote:

Isn't there a reason it's called Greenland rather than Whiteland?

Scientists are now saying that the Earth is reversing it's polarity. All compasses will wind up
pointing south. Imagine what that'll do. The theory is that the reversing of polarity was the
reason that Mars eventually lost its atmosphere. Oh well.............

I heard about this reversing-polarity thing, and I want more details on
this. Will Ellesmere Island (now the center of magnetic north) become
the center of magnetic south instead?

Old March 14th 06, 03:27 AM

The Real Bev wrote:

VtSkier wrote:

The Real Bev wrote:

Vincent Walker wrote:

The Real Bev wrote:

Isn't there a reason it's called Greenland rather than Whiteland?

Scientists are now saying that the Earth is reversing it's
polarity. All
compasses will wind up pointing south. Imagine what that'll do. The
theory is that the reversing of polarity was the reason that Mars
eventually lost its atmosphere. Oh well.............

Forget that crap, where can I get a reversable compass?

Actually it won't matter, as long as you know your
compass will point south instead of north. It'll
be like learning the metric system by throwing away
your imperial measuring devices and buying metric
devices.

No it won't!

OK, smartass, will east and west switch too? Does it rotate or flip?

Well, your existing compass can't flip, because it's made the way it is.
If I understand right, while the north end of the needle now points to
Ellesmere Island, now the south end will. But you know what? It ain't
no big deal. Right now, you line up the north-marked end of the needle
with north on the dial; if it reverses, you just line up the
south-marked end of the needle with north on the dial, and bingo, you're
pointed at Ellesmere Island the way you used to be. East is still east
and west is still west and never the two shall meet.

Old March 14th 06, 05:06 AM

In article ,
The Real Bev writes:
OK, smartass, will east and west switch too? Does it rotate or flip?

It doesn't matter because at the point where the polarity switches the
earth is going to spin backward. So the sun will still rise on the east...

bruno.
Old March 14th 06, 05:20 AM

The Real Bev wrote:

OK, Mr. Scientist, will magnetic south be exactly where magnetic north is
now, or will it be in a slightly different place, or maybe even on the
actual rotational pole?

Highly doubtful it would be even close to anything mirrow image of
now. Same for rotational pole.

-klaus