where to go

Old October 27th 03, 11:52 AM
?

Default where to go

been skiing for a couple of years have been going to same resort
Risoul in France. would like to here of resorts in same area. could
anyone recommend somewhere?
Old October 27th 03, 12:07 PM
1210

"?" wrote in message
m...
been skiing for a couple of years have been going to same resort
Risoul in France. would like to here of resorts in same area. could
anyone recommend somewhere?

I here you.

Old October 27th 03, 04:59 PM
lal_truckee

? wrote:

been skiing for a couple of years have been going to same resort
Risoul in France. would like to here of resorts in same area. could
anyone recommend somewhere?

Mesaage reposted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe where I expect you'll find
pertinent advice.

Old October 27th 03, 06:11 PM
PG

"lal_truckee" wrote in message
? wrote:

been skiing for a couple of years have been going to same resort
Risoul in France. would like to here of resorts in same area. could
anyone recommend somewhere?

Mesaage reposted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe where I expect you'll find
pertinent advice.

Risoul and Vars combined give you a sizeable domain of over 100 miles of
runs so for similar scope down south you could try Pra-Loup which when the
link to Val d'Allos is open, is of similar size. Risoul and Pra-Loup are
about as 'picturesque' as each other, so you won't see much improvement
there! I've found Risoul to be a friendly, welcoming place despite
appearances, whereas Pra-Loup doesn't quite have the same atmosphere and is
poorly arranged with only a couple of bars/restaurants on the snowfront,
most of the resort being an annoying walk of at least 200 yds or so. For
anyone looking for an hotel in Pra-Loup, I'd recommend the Ours Blanc -
ski-in, ski-out, friendly and relaxed, lively at night. Pra-Loup is close to
Barcelonnette (10 mins by car), a town with a really Provençal feel, and
some other nice little resorts nearby - especially Carole Merle's home,
Sauze Supersauze (with its own snowpark from early Jan 2004).

Les Orres is probably the most snowsure of the southernmost resorts, often
the first resort to open and last to close. Smaller version of Pra-Loup,
50-60 miles of pistes. Has a great World Cup downhill and other challenging
runs. Impossible to park near the centre most of the time, average
facilities.

Orcières-Merlette is more of a family resort, better facilities all round
for kids, with an good leisure centre (two pools, bowling, cinema, skating
rink). Big drawback here despite the altitude (1850m) is that it is mainly
south-facing and depending on conditions towards the close of the season,
slush abounds, and not just at resort level. Again around 60 miles of marked
runs, although they have been threatening to extend it for years now (small
addition last couple of years, but I hear they've slowed things down for the
major project, short of money).

Slightly smaller, Puy Saint Vincent with 35/40 miles of marked runs,
concrete jungle as with the above.

Superdévoluy is the ugliest, most depressing resort I have visited - one
huge building houses the lot. At 1500m it has an end of the road, lack of
investment feel about it. But when the link to the attractive village resort
of La Joue is open, it's a good, sizeable domain on a par with Orcières at
60 miles or so.

Last but not least, Serre Chevalier has the best skiing imo with 160 miles
of runs, although towards Briançon at the lower end of the valley they are
often in pretty poor condition towards the end of the season. Technically in
the southern Alps (northern edge of dept 05), the villages have more of a
Savoie feel. Prices (lift tickets and accommodation/restaurants) reflect
this, especially in the highest village, Monetier les Bains (1500m).

I won't bother with the smaller resorts, some of which I prefer to the
above, but only because I used to only spend a day or two in each when
conditions were right so didn't get bored.

Pete