Hey Astropax! Pineapple Express!!!

Old January 20th 04, 10:41 PM
Jeff Davis

Default Hey Astropax! Pineapple Express!!!

Check out this URL:

http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/Saltlake/sat...eWv.16km.shtml

That low pressure sets up south of Valdez and cranks all that warm, moist
air propogating out of the eastern pacific right over the west coast. If
the jet flattens out and it hits us head on...
--
According to John Perry Barlow, "Jeff Davis is a truly gifted trouble-maker."

Old January 21st 04, 01:53 AM
AstroPax

On 20 Jan 2004 23:41:27 GMT, (Jeff Davis)
wrote:

Check out this URL:

http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/Saltlake/sat...eWv.16km.shtml

That low pressure sets up south of Valdez and cranks all that warm, moist
air propogating out of the eastern pacific right over the west coast. If
the jet flattens out and it hits us head on...

I smell a splitting system. Keep your fingers crossed.

-Astro

Old January 22nd 04, 12:40 AM
AstroPax

wrote:

Check out this URL:

http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/Saltlake/sat...eWv.16km.shtml

That low pressure sets up south of Valdez and cranks all that warm, moist
air propogating out of the eastern pacific right over the west coast. If
the jet flattens out and it hits us head on...

I smell a splitting system. Keep your fingers crossed.

Sunday and/or Monday *might* be good.

Regardless, if I was in California, or Colorado ;), for example, and
I wanted to have a high probability of experiencing a Oootah Powder
day(s), I would definitely keep a very close eye on this system and
start to make my plans accordingly.

I would say that right now it's about a 60/40 shot that Sunday or
Monday will be a good day.

From the NWS SLC Area Forecast Discussion:

---
LATEST MODELS STILL DEPICT A STRONG COLD FRONT ARRIVING SATURDAY
NIGHT AS A NORTHERN STREAM TROF/JET STREAK CUTS ACROSS THE NORTHERN
GREAT BASIN. THERE IS ALSO A SOUTHERN STREAM PORTION THAT TRACKS
THROUGH SOUTHERN CA/BAJA. GFS ENSEMBLES IN RELATIVE GOOD AGREEMENT
WITH THE H5 TROF TIMING AND PATH. HIGH CLOUD COVER THICKENS ON
SATURDAY IN ADVANCE OF THIS SYSTEM WITHIN SOUTHWEST-WEST FLOW. IF
THIS COLD FRONT ARRIVES AS PROGGED IT SHOULD FINALLY MIX OUT THE
VALLEYS AND BRING A SHOT OF SIGNIFICANT SNOW TO MOST NORTHERN AREAS.
---

-Astro

---
maximum exposure f/2.8
http://www.xmission.com/~hound/astro/03-04/index.htm
---

Old January 22nd 04, 02:17 AM
Jeff Davis

In article ,
AstroPax wrote:
Regardless, if I was in California, or Colorado ;), for example, and
I wanted to have a high probability of experiencing a Oootah Powder
day(s), I would definitely keep a very close eye on this system and
start to make my plans accordingly.

There's another one right behind it, and that high pressure has collapsed
into Washington State. Whistler is getting it now. The propogation is
deteriorating WNW of Hawaii but that's 2000 miles of ocean this storm
covers. I'm a big fan of light, continental powder snow, so I'll wait.
The inversion is over.
--
According to John Perry Barlow, "Jeff Davis is a truly gifted trouble-maker."

Old January 22nd 04, 03:32 PM
klaus

AstroPax wrote:
Regardless, if I was in California, or Colorado ;), for example, and
I wanted to have a high probability of experiencing a Oootah Powder
day(s), I would definitely keep a very close eye on this system and
start to make my plans accordingly.

I'll maka my plans like I usually do. When I look out the window in
the morning.

-klaus

Old January 23rd 04, 01:12 AM
Jeff Davis

In article ,
klaus wrote:
I'll maka my plans like I usually do. When I look out the window in
the morning.

I was watching the lid blowing off the top of the Grand Teton this
afternoon. Here it comes! Montana is getting hammered tonight. There
is a low pressure system tagging along behind at 40 degrees N latittude
and 140 degrees W longitude. 72 hours and counting. And the moster behind
it is propagating from ESE of Hawaii to N of the Allutians in the Bering
Straight. When these storm systems dump on the 8" of loose surface
hoar we've accumulated, people are going to die if they don't use good
route finding and decision skills. I'll be digging some pits before
I trust my ass in any natural avalanche chutes.
--
According to John Perry Barlow, "Jeff Davis is a truly gifted trouble-maker."