Sierra at Tahoe?

Old March 22nd 11, 10:13 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Richard Henry

Default Sierra at Tahoe?

Because of family obligations, I will have a free day in the
Sacramento area Monday April 4. I am considering driving up to Sierra
at Tahoe. It looks like the biggest Tahoe-area resort where I have
never skied.

Any opinions or advice?
Old March 22nd 11, 11:11 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
twobuddha twobuddha is offline
Banned

On Mar 22, 4:13*pm, Richard Henry wrote:
Because of family obligations, I will have a free day in the
Sacramento area Monday April 4. *I am considering driving up to Sierra
at Tahoe. *It looks like the biggest Tahoe-area resort where I have
never skied.

Any opinions or advice?

Sure. I think you should provide me with the contact info of the SPD
officer you claim is your buddy. You know, the one who was going to
harass me, question me, arrest me, and charge me with calling you a
dickless psychopathic pathological liar and all around asshole.
The one I've never heard from. Sort of like your good friend Bob
Thompson stating he had "reported" me to Canadian LE and gotten me
banned from entering Canada. Odd that I am sitting here in Whistler,
after a fabulous day of skiing, eh?
How humiliating for both of you. Major league
ppppppuuuuuussssssiiiiiiieeeeessssss for even thinking of being such
lying piece of **** cowards in the first place, and certainly major
league fools who ****ed themselves in public.
How embarassing.
BWHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
Old March 23rd 11, 02:13 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
snowbender

On Mar 22, 4:13 pm, Richard Henry wrote:
Because of family obligations, I will have a free day in the
Sacramento area Monday April 4. I am considering driving up to Sierra
at Tahoe. It looks like the biggest Tahoe-area resort where I have
never skied.

Any opinions or advice?

Excellent skiing, and mostly powder skiing; nevertheless, trail runs
become very bumping by midday, powders are thick, so be prepare for
it. And stay out the "untrack," unless you want to get stuck in it. (I
got stuck on knee-deep snow only two steps into it.)

Good luck,
snowbender

Ps Oops, you were talking about April 4th, well, probably will be
spring skiing by then.
Old March 23rd 11, 07:28 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
VtSkier

On 03/22/2011 07:13 PM, Richard Henry wrote:
Because of family obligations, I will have a free day in the
Sacramento area Monday April 4. I am considering driving up to Sierra
at Tahoe. It looks like the biggest Tahoe-area resort where I have
never skied.

Any opinions or advice?

If you like eastern skiing (except for snow conditions)
you'll like Sierra at Tahoe. Nice trails, some open
woods, big wide steep slopes tree lined. I personally
like Kirkwood and Alpine because they are above timber
line with huge open spaces. Sierra is too much like
home (not that that's a bad thing). It's just that if
I fork over money to ski, I want a different experience.

Old March 23rd 11, 09:27 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Richard Henry

On Mar 23, 2:37*pm, Ted Waldron wrote:
In article
,
*Richard Henry wrote:

Because of family obligations, I will have a free day in the
Sacramento area Monday April 4. *I am considering driving up to Sierra
at Tahoe. *It looks like the biggest Tahoe-area resort where I have
never skied.

Any opinions or advice?

Go to Kirkwood instead.

Been there already.
Old March 23rd 11, 10:32 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
VtSkier

On 03/23/2011 11:13 AM, snowbender wrote:
On Mar 22, 4:13 pm, Richard wrote:
Because of family obligations, I will have a free day in the
Sacramento area Monday April 4. I am considering driving up to Sierra
at Tahoe. It looks like the biggest Tahoe-area resort where I have
never skied.

Any opinions or advice?

Excellent skiing, and mostly powder skiing; nevertheless, trail runs
become very bumping by midday, powders are thick, so be prepare for
it. And stay out the "untrack," unless you want to get stuck in it. (I
got stuck on knee-deep snow only two steps into it.)

Good luck,
snowbender

Ps Oops, you were talking about April 4th, well, probably will be
spring skiing by then.

I have skied Sierra at Tahoe with IS/Snowbender. I've actually
skied there a couple of times. Usually hook up with nice people
to ski with. Joined one group of people who liked to go REALLY
fast. Fun, but a little 'tight sphinctered' on garden variety
rental skis.

Actually Sierra at Tahoe feels a lot like skiing at home. Trail
skiing (as opposed to huge open slopes ala Kirkwood and Alpine),
bumps, lower elevation tends to make snow a little heavier but
truly pleasant skiing.

If you want my opinion, try Homewood on the west side of the
lake about midway. Easy if highway 89 is open, don't bother
if it's closed.

Drive into the parking lot down at lake level and see a rather
modest base lodge and a single lift that shortly disappears
over the crest of the hill and so looks rather puny.

So you say to yourself, "Crap, do I really want to ski here?"

So go get a trail map to see what there really is. The first
thing you note on the map is the announcement that "WE ARE
BIGGER THAN WE LOOK." And they are right.

Here's the scoop. Once at the top of that puny lift, you are
at a mid-mountain area with restaurant (it's a huge tent) and two
lifts, each going up separated ridges. You ski down the ridge
of choice looking in both directions to decided on a line you
like, trail, woods, open, you choose. Ski it to the drainage
at the bottom of the ridge and ski a cat track back to the
lift area. Fun, neat, lots of diversity for what is really
a fairly small ski area.

Old March 24th 11, 12:16 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine

On Wed, 23 Mar 2011 15:27:08 -0700 (PDT), Richard Henry
wrote this crap:

Because of family obligations, I will have a free day in the
Sacramento area Monday April 4. *I am considering driving up to Sierra
at Tahoe. *It looks like the biggest Tahoe-area resort where I have
never skied.

Any opinions or advice?

Go to Kirkwood instead.

Been there already.

me too.

Vote for Palin-Brown in 2012. repeal the nightmares.

Old March 24th 11, 12:39 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Dave Stallard[_4_]

On Mar 22, 7:13*pm, Richard Henry wrote:
Because of family obligations, I will have a free day in the
Sacramento area Monday April 4. *I am considering driving up to Sierra
at Tahoe. *It looks like the biggest Tahoe-area resort where I have
never skied.

Any opinions or advice?

I skied there a few years ago, on a hot day in April. The snow was
sticky like nothing else I have ever experienced. You'd hit a patch
of sticky snow at any speed, your knees felt like they were going to
explode inside. Made me long for a no-exposed-skin day in NE.

Still, it seemed like a nice place otherwise. Very laid-back and
unpretentious.

Dave
Old March 24th 11, 01:30 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine

On Mar 23, 6:39*pm, Dave Stallard wrote:
On Mar 22, 7:13*pm, Richard Henry wrote:

Because of family obligations, I will have a free day in the
Sacramento area Monday April 4. *I am considering driving up to Sierra
at Tahoe. *It looks like the biggest Tahoe-area resort where I have
never skied.

Any opinions or advice?

I skied there a few years ago, on a hot day in April. * The snow was
sticky like nothing else I have ever experienced. * You'd hit a patch
of sticky snow at any speed, your knees felt like they were going to
explode inside. * Made me long for a no-exposed-skin day in NE.

Still, it seemed like a nice place otherwise. *Very laid-back and
unpretentious.

Hey, Dickless Dave? I skied Whistler today. Told my friends how you
didn't mention you were there until you were leaving, and then snuck
through Seattle wearing double diapers. One of my buddies who has
read some of the filth you have posted offered to meet you anytime you
are in town to discuss what a cowardly, stalking freak you are.
DIAPER UP!!!!!!!
Old March 24th 11, 02:46 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
lal_truckee

On 3/23/11 4:32 PM, VtSkier wrote:

If you want my opinion, try Homewood on the west side of the
lake about midway. Easy if highway 89 is open, don't bother
if it's closed.

89 is closed between South Shore and Homewood (as every winter) due to
avalanche. To get to Homewood you'd have to circle the lake widdershins
making it a long drive.

But I'd agree Homewood tops Sierra at Tahoe; just approach from North Shore.