Help - Brother wants to visit and ski Vail

Old August 6th 07, 06:30 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Marty

Default Help - Brother wants to visit and ski Vail

My brother and I are planning a family vacation. We live in Longmont
and mostly ski Copper, WP, and Eldora and single days elsewhere when
my daughter has a race at some other resort. He lives in Florida.

Here's the deal, he (my brother) has his heart set on Vail. I don't
want to buy a 3 out of 5 day pass at Vail when I can have a season
pass for about the same price at Copper or WP (Rocky Mountain Pass) or
the Colorado Pass (A-Basin, Keystone, Breck plus limited days at Vail
and Beaver Creek). Plus, we're planning on being in Summit county for
5 days! I don't want to just ski 3 days when I could ski 5. A 5 out
of 7 day pass at Vail is way more than either the Rocky Mountain Pass
or the Colorado Pass.

He's concerned about transportation. We'll have two vehicles up there
and Frisco has free public transportation to Copper (and other resorts
too from what I recall).

Other than what I've stated above (which should be enough), how else
can I convice him that Vail is NOT the way to go?
--
Marty

Old August 6th 07, 06:52 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Walt

Marty wrote:

Here's the deal, he (my brother) has his heart set on Vail.

Other than what I've stated above (which should be enough), how else
can I convice him that Vail is NOT the way to go?

Tell him about the 90 minute lift lines.

And the Texans w/ Bogners.

That should do it.

//Walt
Old August 6th 07, 07:04 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Richard Henry

On Aug 6, 11:30 am, Marty wrote:
[...]

You will get little help here. It is the unofficial (but often
stated) position of RSA that as many people as possible should ski at
Vail*. So by all means encourage your brother and as many of your
family as possible to spend every available day at Vail, no matter the
cost.

*That keeps them away from the good ski areas.

Old August 6th 07, 07:08 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
VtSkier

Marty wrote:
[...]

Let him go to Vail via a day pass. The rest of you
go where you want. He obviously "needs" the Vail
experience.

Vail-are you experienced?
Old August 7th 07, 09:23 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
bumpfreaq

On Aug 6, 2:30 pm, Marty wrote:
[...]

Hi Marty,

Hope your summer is going well. Seems to me that he needs to go to
Vail to see his vacation as a success. How about driving him to
Summit County via Loveland Pass? That way he gets a fairly close up
view of ABasin. Get the Colorado Pass and let him see the splendor/
horror that is Vail then take him to ABasin the next day. That should
be enough for him to reassess his desires from a much different point
of view. Three more days and five options for him to pick from....
should be interesting to see what his preference turns out to be.

Heh heh..... maybe get him to agree to pay for parking too..... free
at the Basin, how much will it be next season at Vail?

Old August 7th 07, 12:28 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
bdubya

On Mon, 06 Aug 2007 15:08:48 -0400, VtSkier
wrote:

Marty wrote:
[...]

Yep. No reason to knock yourself out trying to convince him, just let
him do a day at Vail and then take him somewhere else. Let the
mountains do the talking.

bw
Old August 7th 07, 07:34 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Marty

On Aug 6, 12:30 pm, Marty wrote:
Other than what I've stated above (which should be enough), how else
can I convice him that Vail is NOT the way to go?

Thanks for the replies.

Summer is going well, thanks foir asking Chris.

I'm familiar with these Texans, but what is Bogners?

Well, I think I have him convinced. We're set to book a place in
Frisco. From there, we can ski anywhere. I'm leaning towards Rocky
Mountain passes again for the girls and I. Not sure what he wants to
do yet. He's got a 5th grader, so, she'll be skiing with the 5th
grade pass. Maybe the rest can use our friends and family discount
tickets from our pass purchase. Then, maybe, I'll head west from
Frisco for a day at Vail, and yes, I'll make him pay for parking. Is
there not free parking with shuttle service there?

Thanks again for the input.
--
Marty

Old August 7th 07, 08:14 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Walt

Marty wrote:
I'm familiar with these Texans, but what is Bogners?

A Bogner is an expensive clown suit that the Ski Patrol mandates for
beginners and Texans. It warns other skiers to stay out of the way
because this person is out of control.

See this collection: http://www.fluorescentrompersuits.co.uk/pics1.html

Not all genuine Bogners, but you get the idea.

//Walt
Old August 7th 07, 08:48 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Marty

On Aug 7, 2:14 pm, Walt wrote:
Marty wrote:
I'm familiar with these Texans, but what is Bogners?

A Bogner is an expensive clown suit that the Ski Patrol mandates for
beginners and Texans. It warns other skiers to stay out of the way
because this person is out of control.

See this collection: http://www.fluorescentrompersuits.co.uk/pics1.html

Not all genuine Bogners, but you get the idea.

//Walt

Ah! Thanks for clearing that up for me. :-)
--
Marty

Old August 8th 07, 11:13 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
ant[_5_]

Walt wrote:
Marty wrote:
I'm familiar with these Texans, but what is Bogners?

A Bogner is an expensive clown suit that the Ski Patrol mandates for
beginners and Texans. It warns other skiers to stay out of the way
because this person is out of control.

I"'ve seen some quite nice Bogner outfits, very sleek and understated. You
only know they're Bogner because of the tiny little logo, sometimes just on
the buttons.

--
ant
Don't try to reply to my email addy:

Bode's brother hospitalized after motorcycle accident Marty Alpine Skiing 3 October 13th 05 04:00 PM
visit giorgio Alpine Skiing 2 December 11th 04 06:57 AM
Brother Down Gary Jacobson Nordic Skiing 11 June 24th 04 12:12 PM
Visit to Denver Kenneth Salzberg Nordic Skiing 6 March 17th 04 12:40 AM
TR Utah visit Ken Roberts Nordic Skiing 5 February 3rd 04 06:23 PM