Alum vs graphite poles for touring

Old November 21st 10, 03:58 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
gr[_2_]

Default Alum vs graphite poles for touring

So today I actually compared alum poles to some low end graphite and
they really are a lot lighter! But for touring in the woods where poles
get stuck on things occasionally, or fallen onto, are graphites really
strong enough or are they prone to breakage (instead of bending like alum)?
Old December 1st 10, 02:11 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
jeff potter

On Nov 20, 10:58*pm, gr wrote:
So today I actually compared alum poles to some low end graphite and
they really are a lot *lighter! But for touring in the woods where poles
get stuck on things occasionally, or fallen onto, are graphites really
strong enough or are they prone to breakage (instead of bending like alum)?

Knock on carbon... I use carbon poles for touring but I protect em
with my life. They're great and needed for huge day trips. But I bring
duct-tape and a pole insert, etc. If you hit carbon with your knee
while it's planted you get to hear a "pop!" Yet if you don't bend it
and give it that fatal sharp blow it's supertough. When I first used
carbon 20 years ago I broke a pole. I have maybe broken one more since
then. Other ski racers break a pole every year. I've fallen maybe 100
times with my best poles and they're still fine! (Praise be!). Still,
I know how to fall -- I sacrifice my body, kinda. Also, there's a way
to lift/swing a pole when you're falling on it to PIVOT it out of the
way instead of LEVERING it. It's a lot like clearing a slalom gate. I
do stay aware when skiing in settings where there might be pole
entrapment in brush -- then I'll just not plant em. G'luck! --JP
outyourbackdoor.com
Old December 5th 10, 09:20 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
gr[_4_]

On 12/1/2010 9:11 AM, Jeff Potter wrote:
On Nov 20, 10:58 pm, wrote:
[...]

I guess I will just stick with my alum poles. I am always getting them
hung in brush, or half stuck in frozen mud that grabs a pole out of my
hand (sometimes pulling the handle off!). Not so much falling on them
(don't fall so much anymore!)
Is there a lot of difference in non-metal materials (carbon,graphite,
fiberglass, etc), or is it really the epoxy/resin that is so fragile?
gr
Old December 22nd 10, 06:03 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

On Nov 20, 10:58 pm, *wrote:
[...]

metals are pliable unlike plastics and fibers. If you bend an Al pole
you just bend it right back against your knee. I have no trust in
carbon in the wilderness (as well as up in the sky as in the new
Boeing dreamliner). I don't fall much either but you just never know.
Old January 1st 11, 03:05 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Art

On Nov 20, 10:58 pm, *wrote:
[...]

Lightweight aluminum alloys aren't all that plastic. If you bend an
aluminum pole out in the woods, it's best not to try straightening it
until you get home. A lot of times they'll bend once, but snap on the
way back.
Old January 1st 11, 05:00 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
flebow

On Sat, 1 Jan 2011 07:05:12 -0800 (PST), Art
wrote:

On Nov 20, 10:58 pm, *wrote:
[...]

This has happened to me w aluminum poles while skiing
I also bent and broke one as a wading staff while fishing

Fred
Old January 4th 11, 12:26 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

On Jan 1, 12:00*pm, flebow wrote:
On Sat, 1 Jan 2011 07:05:12 -0800 (PST), Art
wrote:

On Nov 20, 10:58 pm, *wrote:
[...]

My Al poles made for skiing (Rossi's) went through several bend-
straightening cycles. As for walking staffs I only use Ti since those
see way more abuse than ski poles. Very easy to make, too (got a 1" OD
Ti pipe on ebay for ~$100 and wrapped with bike handlebar tape).