beginner question...

Old January 24th 04, 12:06 PM
Bob

Default beginner question...

Im 50 years old and would like to try the new shaped skis. I tried
skiing 10 years ago on the old narrow skis and could not pick it up as I
was not getting good instruction I feel as Im average coordinated but
nervous of getting hurt.Anyhow Im wondering if the new wide skis need a
lot of knee action to turn as my knees are not what they used to be.I
live in Ohio where the intermediate hills seem a bit intimidating to
beginners such as myself.Any help woul be appreciated.Thanks Bob

S=B2

Old January 24th 04, 05:07 PM
Iain Miller

"Bob" wrote in message
Im 50 years old and would like to try the new shaped skis. I tried
skiing 10 years ago on the old narrow skis and could not pick it up as I
was not getting good instruction I feel as Im average coordinated but
nervous of getting hurt.Anyhow Im wondering if the new wide skis need a
lot of knee action to turn as my knees are not what they used to be.I
live in Ohio where the intermediate hills seem a bit intimidating to
beginners such as myself.Any help woul be appreciated.Thanks Bob

The new skis are shorter and much easier to turn. If your knees are wearing
out investigate taking Glucosamine/Chontroitin (helps stabilise/rebuild
cartlidge - though its not a miracle cure!). There is quite a good
explanation of what the stuff does at
http://www.healthspan.co.uk/articles...ticle8_dc.aspx . Also do some
exercise to build up your quads/thighs as that will help support your
knees - I have an elliptical trainer which is very good for beefing up your
legs & completely non-impact. Neoprene knee supports help by keeping the
joints warm when you are skiing. If your knees are really wobbly then maybe
some kind of brace would help - not cheap though and you need to go to
someone who knows what they are doing to get fitted for it and buy it.

Finally, depending on what you weigh, any excess weight you can lose before
you ski will help a lot. An orthapedic surgeon freind of mine once explained
that the load that your weight puts through your knees is amplified
something like six times when you do an activity like skiing.

HTH

I.

Old January 25th 04, 11:53 AM
Bob

Thank you as Im already doing all the things you mentioned I may try it
again with instruction this week.Bob

S=B2

Old January 30th 04, 09:44 PM
kenny

Skiing is an inheritly dangerous sport. Please consider this even if you
ski good cause it is the other person that can hurt you if you are not
aware of your suroundings. I know someone that blew out a knee when
someone else ran into them.
Good luck, as it is some of the best fun you can have.

Old February 2nd 04, 12:03 PM
Brian Sniatkowski

Go for it. The newer shaped skis do make the sport easier to pick up.
With a lesson or two, you should be ready to go. Have fun!

Old February 4th 04, 11:58 PM
rich s.

Bob wrote:

Im 50 years old and would like to try the new shaped skis. I tried
skiing 10 years ago on the old narrow skis and could not pick it up as I
was not getting good instruction I feel as Im average coordinated but
nervous of getting hurt.Anyhow Im wondering if the new wide skis need a
lot of knee action to turn as my knees are not what they used to be.I
live in Ohio where the intermediate hills seem a bit intimidating to
beginners such as myself.Any help woul be appreciated.Thanks Bob

yeah, make sure you take some beginner lessons, if you do not have
your own skiis, most resorts have beginner lesson packages that supply
everything relatively cheap.