Serre Chevalier

Old October 30th 07, 02:49 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Paul Schofield

Default Serre Chevalier

Hi, we ski as a multi-ability group (some beginners, some 1 week skiers up
to semi-advanced skiers) in January and this year someone has suggested
Chalet hotel Grand Aigle in Serre Chevalier. Does anyone have any experience
of the ski resort here and specifically this hotel?

Any input gratefully received

--
Paul Schofield

Old October 31st 07, 09:59 AM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Excess

On Oct 30, 2:49 pm, "Paul Schofield" paul_AT_sonifex_DOT_co_DOT_uk
wrote:
Hi, we ski as a multi-ability group (some beginners, some 1 week skiers up
to semi-advanced skiers) in January and this year someone has suggested
Chalet hotel Grand Aigle in Serre Chevalier. Does anyone have any experience
of the ski resort here and specifically this hotel?

Any input gratefully received

--
Paul Schofield

Have visted quite a few hotel in Serre Chevalier but not this one. As
you are probably aware Serre-Che is a group of 4 main villages which
are fairly different. Which one are you looking to go to?
Ski area has improved dramatically since it was taken over by
Compagnie des Alpes a few years ago. The links between each ski area
are considerably better. Overall there is some great quality skiing
for all levels and it is snowsure. Best of skiing is in Chantemerle
for all levels and Monetier for the more advanced for in my view.
Briancon is not as good, particularly if snow is poor.
more on my last trip to Chantemerle on
http://peakretreats.blogspot.com/200...iing-trip.html

more on Serre-Chevalier http://www.peakretreats.co.uk/ski/serre-chevalier.htm

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
XS
Peak Retreats http://www.peakretreats.co.uk
Ski Collection http://www.skicollection.co.uk

Old October 31st 07, 10:36 AM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Paul Schofield

ups.com...
wrote:
[...]

Thanks - useful info on your nice website as well. The hotel is in
Villeneuve (is that classed as SC1400?) near to Club Med.

As you say I realised that the resort is in fact 4 villages, but I'm sure
how well connected they are. Is it fairly easy to ski from one area to
another or a bit of a trek? Are there free buses connecting the villages?

From a beginners point of view are there simple runs down to the villages in
all the resorts or are some best avoided - obviously important for
Villeneuve.

I've also read in a review - from a couple of years ago - that there are a
lot of drag lifts. Is this still true and if so are they likely to have to
be used by beginners regularly?

Cheers

Paul

Old November 1st 07, 11:44 AM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Excess

Thanks - useful info on your nice website as well. The hotel is in
Villeneuve (is that classed as SC1400?) near to Club Med.

Villeneuve is indeed Serre-Che 1400. I think Le Grand Aigle is not a
proper hotel. It's a hotel run by a UK tour operator so I would not
expect to find French food if that's what you like. The Club Med is
well located though.

As you say I realised that the resort is in fact 4 villages, but I'm sure
how well connected they are. Is it fairly easy to ski from one area to
another or a bit of a trek? Are there free buses connecting the villages?

Villeneuve is well connected to the rest of the ski area and there is
a very good bus system that runs from Monetier (through Villeneuve,
Chantemerle) right to Briancon (nice place to visit for the day) but
you won't need to use this for skiing.

From a beginners point of view are there simple runs down to the villages in
all the resorts or are some best avoided - obviously important for
Villeneuve.

There are plenty of easy slopes in Villeneuve. In Chantemerle it's
good because the beginner slopes are at the top of the first cable car
station at 1900. Nice views and better snow than at the bottom.

I've also read in a review - from a couple of years ago - that there are a
lot of drag lifts. Is this still true and if so are they likely to have to
be used by beginners regularly?

You can manage without using a drag but for complete beginners there
will invariably be use of some drags. They have upgraded the ski area
recently.