banff? whistler, fernie?...

Old June 22nd 05, 12:20 PM

Default banff? whistler, fernie?...

I am currently planning my trip to the Canadian Rockies. I am having
trouble deciding where to go. I am 21. Have snowboarded once. Love to
party. Cant decide between Banff, Whistler, Big White, Silver Star,
Fernie, Panorama. Any information/ experience/knowledge on the
afformentioned places will be greatly appreciated. Pursuade me please.

Cheers.

Old June 28th 05, 12:44 PM
Slaughterhouse

wrote in message
oups.com...
I am currently planning my trip to the Canadian Rockies. I am having
trouble deciding where to go. I am 21. Have snowboarded once. Love to
party. Cant decide between Banff, Whistler, Big White, Silver Star,
Fernie, Panorama. Any information/ experience/knowledge on the
afformentioned places will be greatly appreciated. Pursuade me please.

Cheers.

Ok, Banff has three places to go: Lake Louise, Sunshine Village, and
Norquay. I would scratch Norquay off your list right off the bat. Sunshine
Village was a lot of fun as no matter where you went it was never the same.
Amazing scenery although it can get quite crowded in the bowl by the
Sunshine Inn. The people there are friendly. Seeing as Banff is an
International destination everything costs alot of money, the place is
packed with tourists from ALL over the globe so you will never know what is
around the bend on a run, and tons of Aussies. I have been in hottubs where
everyone formed cliques in their respective languages. The entire thing was
a great experience though for this Alberta boy.
Panorama is on the other side of the border in B.C. I don't know what
Panorama is like in their powder season but avoid the spring season there.
Panorama has more locals and Albertans than an International scene. The
people there are even more friendly than Sunshine and oddly enough the
employees there all wear a name tag stating WHERE they are from (England,
New Zealand, Winnipeg lol...). It makes for interesting conversation.
Panorama grooms their runs at night and if you go at the wrong time of the
season, it turns the entire slope into a super hard crust of very slick ice.
Make sure you carry a sharp edge and a helmet. This usually breaks down
around noon, where everything turns to slush. Keep in mind this in the
beginning of April during the spring season.
I heard Silverstar is supposed to be awesome, maybe somebody here has been
there?

Old June 28th 05, 03:30 PM
stuart

"Slaughterhouse" wrote in message

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Silver Star is a fantastic place for everone. Lots of long longeasy green
runs and double blacks as well. Powder slightly heavy when they get it. All
below the tree line pretty much..

Old July 4th 05, 10:25 AM
Paul Healy

Kicking Horse and Red Mountain along with Fernie are the most exciting of
the interior resorts but Whistler offers the best all round package as long
as it does not rain. Snow is coastal and sometimes heavier. The Boot pub at
Whistler is normally pretty lively next to the Shoestring Lodge. There is
plenty of nightlife at Whistler but the rest have little nightlife. Silver
Star is a nice quiet resort and Putnam Creek area is pretty good even though
some of the runs are short. It has a shared ticket with Big White, a very
intermediate area but with good dry snowfall and a decent base even in poor
snow seasons like this year.
Panorama often gets thin snow cover and was hard/icy this March I can
testify to that. If going to Banff it's best to have a rental car than
relying on a bus. Sunshine has some decent runs as does Lake Louise for all
abilities.
Paul

oups.com...

Old December 3rd 05, 07:36 AM

If you're thinking paties and all, I would suggest Whistler over Banff.
Banff on the other hand should be much cheaper. Staying at Banff or Lake
Louise - pick Banff as you will not get much partying done at Lake Luise.
Some more info about Banff and Lake Louise
http://www.jacksnest.com/ski/index.htm

Happy boarding.

"Slaughterhouse" wrote in message

oups.com...