Skiing in Michigan for beginners

Old January 17th 04, 09:25 PM
EldredP

Default Skiing in Michigan for beginners

I'm looking to go skiing with my girlfriend and her kids on monday. The girl
is 9, the boy is almost 4. What's a good resort near Detroit for 4 rank
beginners? Hopefully, we can get some easy lessons and get down the hill at
least ONCE...g
Since Monday is a holiday, are the hills even OPEN?

Eldred
--
Homepage - http://www.umich.edu/~epickett
Member

Remove SPAM-OFF to reply.
Old January 20th 04, 04:55 PM
paul m

Sorry, this is coming too late to go on MLK day.

Mt. Holly is really close to detroit (45minutes apx.), and while its not what I
think of as a "great" resort, as I live in Utah, I did want to mention how much I
was impressed by the lesson that my dad got there last christmas. We went the
friday after christmas which is normally a *very* busy day, but while my dad's
lesson wasn't private (ie, 1 on 1) it ended up that way since there was nobody
else with him. The woman (who's name i forget. sorry!) was really patient and
talented, and I couldn't suggest the experience more. While it *was* busy,
especially by my tough standards, there weren't so many people that beginners
would feel intimidated by the onslaught.

Anyhow, thats my vaguely applicable two cents.
Paul

Old January 20th 04, 05:26 PM
EldredP

[...]

Thanks for the info. We didn't go yesterday, but we would still like to try
it. We'll probably go some saturday or sunday morning early - like right when
they open...g

Eldred

Old January 22nd 04, 05:59 PM
Walt

EldredP wrote:

I'm looking to go skiing with my girlfriend and her kids on monday. The girl
is 9, the boy is almost 4. What's a good resort near Detroit for 4 rank
beginners? Hopefully, we can get some easy lessons and get down the hill at
least ONCE...g

See http://newsupnorth.com/cgi-bin/msianpr.pl?eventid=000362

Discover Michigan Sikiing is a program that includes a beginner
lesson, rental equipment and a beginner-area ski lift pass Twenty
ski facilities are offering the package, which will be honored from
January 5 through January 31, 2004. The price for the Discover
Michigan Skiing program is $30 for adults and $20 for children
seven to 14 years old.

That's as good a deal as you'll find anywhere. But you only have two
weekends left to take advantage of it.

As for which hill to go to, there are four within an hour of Detroit.
Three of them participate in the Discover Michigan program: Mt.
Brighton, Mt. Holly, and Pine Knob.
If your umich.edu url is any indication of your location, Mt Brighton
would be the closest place to go. It's where I learned, and it's a
perfectly adequate place to learn to ski.

Mt. Holly is a nicer place to ski, and they have their beginner slopes
somewhat sheltered from the more advanced slopes so you don't have to
contend with other skiers whizzing by as you're trying to learn. They
also have a magic carpet lift which is much easier on beginners than the
rope tows.

Pine Knob is OK too, but not as nice as Holly.

The fourth resort, Alpine Valley, would also be a reasonable choice -
like Holly, they have a separate beginner area.

For more info, check out the following sites:
http://www.goski.com/resorts/rusami/michigan.htm
http://www.ski-guide.com/statemap.cfm/MI.htm
http://www.michiganskier.com/skiguide.htm

Good luck. Have fun.

Since Monday is a holiday, are the hills even OPEN?

MLK day is one of the busiest days of the ski season. Of course the
hills were open.

--
//-Walt
//
Old January 23rd 04, 12:10 AM
EldredP

In article , Walt
writes:

EldredP wrote:

I'm looking to go skiing with my girlfriend and her kids on monday. The

girl
is 9, the boy is almost 4. What's a good resort near Detroit for 4 rank
beginners? Hopefully, we can get some easy lessons and get down the hill

at
least ONCE...g

See http://newsupnorth.com/cgi-bin/msianpr.pl?eventid=000362

Discover Michigan Sikiing is a program that includes a beginner
lesson, rental equipment and a beginner-area ski lift pass Twenty
ski facilities are offering the package, which will be honored from
January 5 through January 31, 2004. The price for the Discover
Michigan Skiing program is $30 for adults and $20 for children
seven to 14 years old.

That's as good a deal as you'll find anywhere. But you only have two
weekends left to take advantage of it.

Aw, crap - a deadline. I'll have to see if we can catch one of the last two
weekends...

As for which hill to go to, there are four within an hour of Detroit.
Three of them participate in the Discover Michigan program: Mt.
Brighton, Mt. Holly, and Pine Knob.
If your umich.edu url is any indication of your location, Mt Brighton
would be the closest place to go. It's where I learned, and it's a
perfectly adequate place to learn to ski.

Actually, I only *work* in Ann Arbor. I live in Oak Park.g

Mt. Holly is a nicer place to ski, and they have their beginner slopes
somewhat sheltered from the more advanced slopes so you don't have to
contend with other skiers whizzing by as you're trying to learn. They
also have a magic carpet lift which is much easier on beginners than the
rope tows.

Pine Knob is OK too, but not as nice as Holly.

The fourth resort, Alpine Valley, would also be a reasonable choice -
like Holly, they have a separate beginner area.

For more info, check out the following sites:
http://www.goski.com/resorts/rusami/michigan.htm
http://www.ski-guide.com/statemap.cfm/MI.htm
http://www.michiganskier.com/skiguide.htm

Good luck. Have fun.

Since Monday is a holiday, are the hills even OPEN?

MLK day is one of the busiest days of the ski season. Of course the
hills were open.

It's probably a good thing we didn't go Monday, then. :-)
Thanks for the info!

Eldred
--
Homepage - http://www.umich.edu/~epickett