Whistler in early/late March, or Tahoe?

Old January 11th 04, 12:50 PM
William Ball

Default Whistler in early/late March, or Tahoe?

Hi
planning another jaunt across the pond [from Scotland]. I did Colorado a
couple of years back, and this time I'm pretty set on Whistler with Tahoe
running a close second.

My concern about Whistler though is the weather/snow, as I've heard it can
get foggy and the snow gets heavy. When's the better chance of having good
weather/snow - early March or late March? If I want to ski mush in the fog
I can do plenty of that 80 miles up the road here in Scotland without flying
4000 miles. Is the risk of bad weather/snow in March enough for anyone to
think Tahoe's a better bet? Other attraction of Tahoe is I could do a
different area every day [I cover a lot of miles and get bored easily], not
sure how much variety/size there is at Whistler - sure its big for North
America but it's not "European-big". Current attraction of Whistler is the
transfer, as I'll be using up some air-miles and I can get flights to
Vancouver or SF, but not Reno, so Tahoe would be a drive from SF. (Can't
get a free flight to SLC either, to that was Utah out).

Anyone any idea of relative costs too? The Pound/US Dollar is great for us
Brits right now, and having been to the States many times over the last 20
years I know what my pound/dollar will buy. Never been to Canada though, so
interested in the relative costs of Whistler versus Tahoe.

Any any other comments gratefully received. I should maybe add that as this
is my annual break from the wife and kids so I go to ski [early to bed, hit
the slopes early] so relative merits of nightlife and non-skiing activities
has no real interest.

Thanks

Willie

Old January 12th 04, 03:41 AM
dingblade

lets compa

Tahoe
Whistler

Acreage 2000 7071
Vertical Rise 2212' 5280'
Trails 46
200+
Longest Run 2.5 miles 7 miles
Lifts 9
33
$ per 1 GBP 1.84 USD 2.34 CDN
Season Nov-April Nov-Aug

.... tough call Willie. if you like small, expensive "boutique" type resorts
with limited terrain, tahoe might be the way to go. keep in mind, you could
fit over 3.5 tahoes inside of 1 whistler. whistler is literally and
figuratively the biggest for terrain and variety in the north american ski
universe by a very, very long shot. you could spend 2 weeks there without
skiing the same run twice, and it has some of the best lift-accessed and
user-friendly backcountry riding anywhere. to add insult to injury, it's
also a good deal cheaper for you to ski and stay there.
as far as what the weather will be in march in either place, i'll let you
know as soon as you tell me the winning numbers for next weeks powerball
lottery .

Old January 12th 04, 01:45 PM
Steve Haigh

William Ball wrote:

Hi
planning another jaunt across the pond [from Scotland]. I did Colorado a
couple of years back, and this time I'm pretty set on Whistler with Tahoe
running a close second.

My concern about Whistler though is the weather/snow, as I've heard it can
get foggy and the snow gets heavy. When's the better chance of having good
weather/snow - early March or late March? If I want to ski mush in the fog
I can do plenty of that 80 miles up the road here in Scotland without flying
4000 miles.

You can't compare Whistler to Scotland. Even if Whistler is mush at
least it'll be deep mush. I've skied excellent powder at Whistler in
March. Whistler stays open until June, so don't worry about the snow.
Yes, it can rain. Take a waterproof. Don't bank on getting a tan.

Is the risk of bad weather/snow in March enough for anyone to
think Tahoe's a better bet? Other attraction of Tahoe is I could do a
different area every day [I cover a lot of miles and get bored easily], not
sure how much variety/size there is at Whistler - sure its big for North
America but it's not "European-big".

Yes it is. If you look at the total number of lifts it may not be as
many as the 3 valleys or Espace Killy, but if you look at the quality of
terrain the lifts access and the amount of trails they have it easily
competes with the big European resorts. Whistler is comparable in size
to places like Flaine or St Anton. For the back country and steep skiing
I'd say Whistler has as much as Val d'Isere and a lot of it it is even
easier to access. The tree skiing (good at anytime, essential in poor
weather) is better and more extensive than any I've seen in Europe.

Current attraction of Whistler is the
transfer, as I'll be using up some air-miles and I can get flights to
Vancouver or SF, but not Reno, so Tahoe would be a drive from SF. (Can't
get a free flight to SLC either, to that was Utah out).

Yep, the Xfer from Whistler is easy. Take a bus unless your accomodation
is a long way out in which case you may need a car.

Anyone any idea of relative costs too? The Pound/US Dollar is great for us
Brits right now, and having been to the States many times over the last 20
years I know what my pound/dollar will buy. Never been to Canada though, so
interested in the relative costs of Whistler versus Tahoe.

The Canadian dollar has been very weak against the pount (and U$) for a
long time now, Whistler is cheap for a Brit used to skiing in Europe and
is considered cheaper than the US (but it is catching up, Whistler is
very expensive compared to other Canadian resorts).

Any any other comments gratefully received. I should maybe add that as this
is my annual break from the wife and kids so I go to ski [early to bed, hit
the slopes early] so relative merits of nightlife and non-skiing activities
has no real interest.

What a shame! There are some great pubs in Whistler.
Old January 12th 04, 05:40 PM
Terry Morse

"dingblade" wrote:

Tahoe Whistler

Acreage 2000 7071
Vertical Rise 2212' 5280'
Trails 46 200+
Longest Run 2.5 miles 7 miles
Lifts 9 33
$ per 1 GBP 1.84 USD 2.34 CDN
Season Nov-April Nov-Aug

That's a very misleading chart in some ways--and factually wrong in
others. First of all, there is no such ski resort called "Tahoe".
There are about a dozen individual ski areas in the Tahoe region.
For a single Tahoe area, the largest vertical is 3500', the longest
run is 5.5 miles, the largest single acreage is 4800 acres, all at
Heavenly Valley. The season runs into June most years; I've skied on
20' of base in June before, at Alpine Meadows. Squaw Valley often
opens its upper terrain for the 4th of July weeekend, conditions
permitting.

Combined, there are 151 lifts and 23,000 acres of terrain in the
Tahoe area.

keep in mind, you could fit over 3.5 tahoes inside of 1 whistler.

Actually, you could fit 3.2 Whistler/Blackcombs in Tahoe's
lift-served terrain.

to add insult to injury, it's
also a good deal cheaper for you to ski and stay [at Whistler].

Lift ticket prices are $39 at Sugar Bowl (every day) and Alpine
Meadows (every day except holidays), and lodging can be had for as
little as $50 per night.

as far as what the weather will be in march in either place, i'll let you
know as soon as you tell me the winning numbers for next weeks powerball
lottery .

Whistler will be foggy and wet most of the month, with occasional
rain at the base. If you see the sun one day in seven, consider
yourself lucky. Tahoe area will be sunny most of the month. Average
number of sunny March days in Tahoe: 23.

--
terry morse Palo Alto, CA http://www.terrymorse.com/ski/
Old January 13th 04, 09:03 PM
Bob Gersten

Old January 20th 04, 11:20 PM
William Ball

OK, Whistler it is. Flights booked & B&B booked for March
....and yes, the exchange rate does look pretty good - so much so I'm taking
my son skiing in Austria in February now too as I can do that plus Whistler
for what I expected to spend on my US/Can alone )