Car hire in Utah

Old January 12th 04, 03:20 PM
scottabe

Default Bob Thompson accuses me of his crimes.

in article , pigo at
wrote on 1/12/04 5:39 AM:

"Michael Dart" wrote in message
In ,
pigo typed:
"Alan Rowland" wrote in message
I'm planning my first ski trip from the UK to the US, staying in
Salt Lake City from Mar3-17, and driving to all the local resorts,
and I'm about to organise a hire car. I have a couple of questions:
do I need a 4wd or snow chains? And which hire companies (based at
the airport) would you reccommend for low cost? Thanks,

Al

My bil might be here about that time from Coventry.

I would get 4wd if you are coming here to ski the crap out of it. If
you can take not getting up if we get nailed it's not necessary. The
other option would be to take the bus up if we get nailed. 2wd will
almost always get you to the bus stop at the bottom of the canyon.
Personally? The few extra bucks are worth it. The few thousand extra
I pay for a 4wd truck is justified the first time I push the button
and don't have to get out and dig or push. But budget is a
consideration. If it takes 2wd to be able to afford the trip, it's
doable.

Look me up when it gets close. We'll go have a warm one.

pigo

How reliable are the busses for getting up the Cottonwoods in bad weather?
I'm going to be out there about the same time Mar 7-12. there is a bus

stop
right in front of the hotel we're staying at in Midvale. The cars,

Pontiac
Sunfires, we rented last year barely made it up there on sunny days.

I don't use them but my sense is that if traffic is going they are going.
They might get crowded in those conditions.

As far as the sunbird goes, you probably just had to peddle faster.

Cooking in and taking your lunch could make up the difference in a car
rental. So it really depends on your priorities and budget. I would get here
and scrounge for any way to get up. Beyond that, if it's one more months
payment on the credit card, or bringing a sandwich (that's probably worth
$100/wk at least) that's a personal decision that you have to make.

Mike - and I don't care what Scott says about you. ;^)

Nah. Who does? Since he knows where I live and I suspect he is closing in on
where I work, I have to consider that.

This from a stalking wacko who has posted my home address and gone after my
license. Fair is fair, isn't it?
Any reason you "suspect" that I'm closing in on where you work? Got any
evidence, or are you just making up another whopper to accuse me of what
you've been doing for years?

But, I have! It almost would be a
welcome hassle because he *has* stepped up to the line but not all the way
over it. We're waiting. The only fret is when and where he "goes postal".
Too bad that political correctness has taken us to a point that ignores
public safety.

Unlike this sick ****, I don't stalk in real life. But I am tempted. Too
bad that law enforcement doesn't put people in jail for making false
allegations, defaming, stalking,a nd harassing.
More sick, insane lies from Bob Thompson, Stalker.
Hey, coward?
Planning on Utah around the end of the month. How about I give YOU a chance
to go postal and give YOU a chance to step over the line?
Did it five times already. You never showed, like the coward you are.

Old January 12th 04, 09:59 PM
Michael Dart

Default Car hire in Utah

In ,
Sven Golly typed:
"Michael Dart" wrote in
:

How reliable are the busses for getting up the Cottonwoods in bad
weather?

More reliable than 2wd cars but not as reliable as 4x4. Seems to me
if the canyons are open but subject to 4x4 or chains required, the
busses still run 80% of the time.

That's good to know, thanks!

Mike

Old January 12th 04, 10:04 PM
Michael Dart

In ,
pigo typed:
[...]

That's true. Thanks.

snip

See you in March!

Hope to.

Mike

Old January 12th 04, 10:29 PM
Walt

Alan Rowland wrote:

I'm planning my first ski trip from the UK to the US, staying in Salt Lake
City from Mar3-17, and driving to all the local resorts, and I'm about to
organise a hire car. I have a couple of questions: do I need a 4wd or snow
chains? And which hire companies (based at the airport) would you reccommend
for low cost? Thanks,

The important question to ask is "why are you going to Utah?" There
seems to be two standard answers:

1) To ski the bottomless powder after a legendary Wasach dump.
2) To get in some enjoyable skiing in the mountains.

If you're going for the first reason, be ready to be disappointed,
'cause powder dumps are not guaranteed. But if you're looking for
powder you need to do everything you can to be able to take advantage of
a dump if it does happen. That means staying at the resort, or at least
4WD+chains.

If you're going for the second reason (which is most of us, whether
we're willing to admit it or not) any standard rental car that holds
your gear should suffice. If LCC/BCC is impassible, you can still
probably drive around to Park City and ski one of the three resorts
there. Or take the bus up the mountain. Your chances of bagging powder
will be greatly diminished, but most likely you'll still be able to ski.

So it really depends on what you're there to do. I'd feel pretty stupid
if I crossed an ocean looking to ski powder only to be stopped 15 miles
short because I was too cheap to pop the extra $100 for 4WD.

Personally, I don't bother with 4WD since I could give a rat's ass about
powder, and I try to watch my ski budget so that I can maximize the
number of days I get out on the slopes. YMMV.

And if you do rent 4WD, please remember that it doesn't make you
invincible. 4WD will help you get moving again if you stop in an
unfortunate place, but it isn't that much better at holding the road
than a front wheel drive car. On snowy days the ditches are full of
cowboys in SUV's and pickup trucks.

As for rental car vendors, avoid Dollar at all costs. They'll take your
reservation and not have any cars when you get there. Any of the other
major companies are pretty acceptable and more or less interchangeable.
Avis is the best IMHO, but I'm not willing to pay more than a 10%
premium rent from them.

Have fun on your vacation. Wish I was going.
--
//-Walt
//
Old January 12th 04, 11:08 PM
Ted

"Walt" wrote in message
Alan Rowland wrote:

[...]

Very good post, expecially the 4x4 part.

Old January 12th 04, 11:12 PM
Ted

"Walt" wrote in message
Alan Rowland wrote:

[...]

Other people drive too fast no matter what conditions

http://tv.ksl.com/index.php?nid=5&sid=69092

Old January 13th 04, 12:42 AM
C. Parker

"pigo" wrote in message

[...]

Do you really think a 4wd is that important that late in the year? We will
be there the following week, March 18 thru 24, and the difference between a
4wd and a full size Fwd is huge, price wise. $233 more at the cheapest place
I could find.

C.

Old January 13th 04, 01:00 AM
scottabe-is-a-dick

Default Michael Dart, Asshole

scottabe blathered in message

You fit right in here, asshole. No objection to false allegations of child
molestation, taunting rape survivors, real life felonies, gross defamation.
Pigo is your kind of guy, eh?
Rsa is your kind of place.
No ethics, no morals, no decency.

One thing we can count on, always hearing from the pathetic little man
with the tiny penis!
Old January 13th 04, 01:01 AM
Terry Morse

C. Parker wrote:

Do you really think a 4wd is that important that late in the year? We will
be there the following week, March 18 thru 24, and the difference between a
4wd and a full size Fwd is huge, price wise.

Alta averages 92 inches of snowfall in March.
--
terry morse Palo Alto, CA http://www.terrymorse.com/ski/
Old January 13th 04, 01:02 AM
scottabe-is-a-dick

scottabe blathered in message
Unlike this sick ****, I don't stalk in real life. But I am tempted. Too
bad that law enforcement doesn't put people in jail for making false
allegations, defaming, stalking,a nd harassing.
More sick, insane lies from Bob Thompson, Stalker.
Hey, coward?
Planning on Utah around the end of the month. How about I give YOU a chance
to go postal and give YOU a chance to step over the line?
Did it five times already. You never showed, like the coward you are.

The pathetic little man with the tiny penis strikes again! Yahoo.