Johan Olsson

Old December 17th 08, 06:43 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Anders

Default Johan Olsson

"The secret behind the 28-year-old skier's big surprise win in Davos
is a unique increase of maximal oxygen consumption. It is a result of
the efforts that have been made within the national team under Gunde
Svan's command that a skier like Johan Olsson has been able to climb
that last step up to the podium. He has managed to increase his VO2max
from a value of 80 to 85-86. It's quite unusual to make such a
development in his age and at his level.
- It tends to get more difficult after 25. To win a World Cup race you
need a VO2max between 85 and 90 and I believe I can continue to
increase mine.

A higher maximal aerobic capacity has made it possible for Olsson to
maintain his good technique throughout the race. Before the season
Johan let coach Joakim Arvidsson make over his training plan.
- We have the same schedule as the girls have had for the past few
years.
Simply explained it means a periodized condition training, where
intensive periods alternate with easier periods.
- When it's intensive, it's more intensive than I've done behind. But
there is also a freedom within the program that suits me.

Olsson has changed his approach also in his strength training and he
has worked with a mental coach as well."

Anders
Old December 17th 08, 04:05 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

Helgerud hits the Swedish men, or at least Olsson? The apparent
empirical problem with the block interval plan is those on it, so far
mainly women, do very well early in the season and then get sick and
fade. The only exception I can think of is Becky Scott, but I never saw
anything from her about what she actually did, except that she didn't
track hours, only second or third-hand claims from others.

Gene

Old December 19th 08, 01:31 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

On Dec 17, 12:43*am, Anders wrote:
[...]

Just curious, what is the source for this article?
Erik
Old December 19th 08, 06:02 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Anders

On Dec 19, 4:31*am, wrote:

Just curious, what is the source for this article?

http://www.aftonbladet.se/sportblade...icle3991257.ab (BTW,
like the commentator, I've never heard of Joakim Arvidsson.)

Poor form not to name the source, I know. (The Norwegian source was
Nettavisen.)

Anders