Smuggler's Notch Ski School

Old January 13th 04, 01:33 AM
Leslie Santoro

Default Smuggler's Notch Ski School

We are considering a ski week at Smuggler's Notch this year instead of our
usual trip to Gray Rocks in Quebec. We are very concerned that we have been
spoiled by the Snow Eagle Ski School at Gray Rocks (which is generally
considered in the top ten in North America.)

Could someone who has been both places comment on the quality of Smuggs' ski
school in comparison to Gray Rocks? We have a six year old that we want to
get a _really_ good start, as well as 10 & 12 year olds who are ready for
the black diamonds.

Thanks
Leslie

Old January 13th 04, 02:59 AM
houseslave

I don't have any information on the ski school but I can tell you that the
lifts at Smugglers are very outdated. Last time I checked they didn't even
have a Quad. To make matters worse they had no cushions on their lifts so
we were sitting on freezing cold metal the whole trip up the moutnain (maybe
they fixed this-I would call and ask). It was not very comfortable.
Killington in comparison has 2 heated Gondolas. If you want less traffic
try Sugarbush. Good luck

Old January 13th 04, 04:14 PM
Chris

I go to Smuggs at least once or twice a year and you will find the ski
school fine and quite informal. I was there on the first week of January,
and one day I was the only student on my level, one the other two days, we
were two. You should have no problem with the school.

The hills (3 mountains, one for beginners) is far more challenging than Grey
Rocks and Tremblant. It is a great family resort. but can be boring if you
do not ski. This is not Grey Rocks or Tremblant or Killington as far as
amenities, but you will not have the crowds either. While the lifts are
outdated, there is no waits, and you will not find the crowds on top of the
hills that you will get at Tremblant for example.

Chris

.net...

Old January 16th 04, 12:20 AM
Wai Chan

"Leslie Santoro" wrote in
.net:

We are considering a ski week at Smuggler's Notch this year instead of
our usual trip to Gray Rocks in Quebec. We are very concerned that we
have been spoiled by the Snow Eagle Ski School at Gray Rocks (which is
generally considered in the top ten in North America.)

Could someone who has been both places comment on the quality of
Smuggs' ski school in comparison to Gray Rocks? We have a six year
old that we want to get a _really_ good start, as well as 10 & 12 year
olds who are ready for the black diamonds.

We also go to Smuggs' at least once a year. As a family resort, I don't
think you can do better. Unless you're fuzzy about the lack of luxury/fast
lifts, I would not be too concerned about the transport system either. I
much rather not wait in line or bumping into ppl on the slopes than to sit
on cushioned seat or a heated gondola. On frigid cold days like today,
however, ...

As for the lessons, you will not be disappointed with their Adventure
program for the 6-year old. IMHO, and many others will agree, they have one
of the best programs around. Not do they offer top notch effective children
lessons, they also have abundant non-ski activities during their breaks.
They have something (e.g. magic show, story telling, science show, etc)
going on everyday between 2:30 and 4 prior to pickup. (not mentioning all
the kid's stuff at night) And, don't forget the cookie race every Friday (I
think). We are now onto our third child with their program. Our 4- and 7-
year olds have been skiing far above normal standards and I would credit
much of that to Smuggs' kid's coaching staff.

From what you're telling me, I assume that your 10 and 12 year olds are now
no longer wedging. That is what they call Level 5 and up. At these levels,
kids no longer have the same festivities during camp. At 2:30pm, they can
either ski with their parents or get shuttled to join up with the younger
ones to watch the shows. Oh, and no cookie race. Their race is down a
pretty nice mid-blue race course similiar to Nastar's. They all now meet at
Sterling/madonna (their upper intermediate and expert mountains) instead of
Morse (mainly greens). My then 6-year old daughter last year was a Level 5
and she had the time of her life. Being noticably younger and smaller
didn't stop her coach from taking her onto some of the more challenging
bumps and glades. She had experienced and learnt tons from that program and
made it to Level 6 by the last day. The point is that the coaches are
motivated to make the child to excel and to get the parent's to get their
money's worth.

Now, onto the adult lessons... Because I have not had any experience taking
lessons elsewhere to speak of, I really can't compare that to any other
adult programs. All I have to share is that I have always had a good time
and learnt quite a bit from them. But, I don't know and don't think their
instructions really stands out from the others either. Afterall, I didn't
end up being a super-skier. Then again, it is likely that it is just me.

BTW, when you speak of terrain rating, Smuggs' is known to be quite tough,
especially on the Sterling and Madonna side. You will find some of the
ungroomed blues to be comparable to blacks in many resorts. I have skied a
handful of resorts in the East and I consider myself to be a generally
comfortable easy-black skier. I have yet skied many of Smuggs' blacks and
definitely not with ease with the ones that I've done.

W R Chan from Upstate NY
(to respond, remove ### from email address)

* I have no stinking sig *

Family Skiing - three months - with school teacher - non commercial venture alan General 0 July 25th 04 10:56 AM
Skiing all winter, for high school credit Lew Lasher Nordic Skiing 0 March 25th 04 01:49 AM
Hazens Notch Vermont sam Nordic Skiing 0 January 15th 04 02:51 AM
SNOWBOARD SCHOOL IN TIGNES Andy European Ski Resorts 2 November 19th 03 07:49 PM
European school holidays 2004 paul European Ski Resorts 1 July 29th 03 09:41 AM