N. Rockies Huts?

Old October 29th 05, 01:58 AM
Ed Huesers

Default N. Rockies Huts?

Kurt Knisely wrote:
Anyway, has anyone seen a backcountry ski hut page recently?

http://www.kk.org/cooltools/archives/000685.php

Ed Huesers
Http://www.grandshelters.com
Old October 31st 05, 05:48 PM
klaus

Kurt Knisely wrote:
In article , Ed Huesers says...

Kurt Knisely wrote:
Anyway, has anyone seen a backcountry ski hut page recently?

http://www.kk.org/cooltools/archives/000685.php

Where do you put the woodstove in one of those?

Next to the flatscreen TV. Opposite the generator and outhouse.

-klaus

Old October 31st 05, 08:11 PM
Ed Huesers

Kurt Knisely wrote:
Anyway, has anyone seen a backcountry ski hut page recently?

Ed Huesers says...

Kurt Knisely wrote:
Where do you put the woodstove in one of those?

The heat comes from the heart.
Ya gotta wanna,

Ed Huesers
http://www.grandshelters.com
Old November 3rd 05, 12:55 AM
Ed Huesers

Kurt Knisely wrote:
Anyway, has anyone seen a backcountry ski hut page recently?

Kurt Knisely wrote:
David's site is back up:
http://www.math.utah.edu/~eyre/rsbfaq/huts.html

Bah, the anti-christ.
I see the page needs a bit of work, in the Vail area anyway. Dead
links and I didn't see any F.S. ones like I stayed in twenty years ago.

Ed Huesers says...

Kurt Knisely wrote:
Where do you put the woodstove in one of those?

Ed Huesers says...
The heat comes from the heart.
Ya gotta wanna,

I wanna, but I'm not sure my co-conspirators from Park City and SLC want
to--city folks, you know the type :-).

That happens. Check out the last guy [from NZ, no less] in this thread.
Friends abandoned him to go drink beer and that was it...
http://www.telemarktalk.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=10795

I'd like to set up a few iceboxes and
use them as shelters around my place.

The guys in the Txtons put em on ridge tops to take breaks before
the ski down. I tend to put em on ridge tops too but for the view.

Might keep the beer from freezing?

Possible, we buried a case in the floor of our old snow cave and it
wasn't frozen two weeks later. I think it was getting some ground heat
and the snow was probably right below freezing.

Sure beats a tent (other than a tent in the Springtime isn't too bad).

It can freeze in spring but usually not bad enough to freeze your
water bottle. I pretty much only use tents during the summer season. And
even then with all the turons, I tend to do day trips through the summer.

'Shoulda bought one when they were on sale.

We had one small increase in the 7 years now. Mostly the tool is the
full meal deal. You get all sizes and last year we added a fifth size
without an increase. If that's what you mean by sale...
Give me a call or... the addies on the web page work, this one don't.

Ed Huesers
Http://www.grandshelters.com
Old November 9th 05, 01:22 AM

Kurt Knisely wrote:
David's site is back up:
http://www.math.utah.edu/~eyre/rsbfaq/huts.html

Bah, the anti-christ.
I see the page needs a bit of work, in the Vail area anyway. Dead
links and I didn't see any F.S. ones like I stayed in twenty years ago.

Did I offend you in a previous life?

David

Old November 19th 05, 03:23 AM

Ed Huesers wrote:
David's site is back up:
http://www.math.utah.edu/~eyre/rsbfaq/huts.html

Bah, the anti-christ.
I see the page needs a bit of work, in the Vail area anyway. Dead
links and I didn't see any F.S. ones like I stayed in twenty years ago.

David scribe:
Did I offend you in a previous life?

Heh, no.
You see who I am, I'd think. The comment was a bit tongue in cheek but:
Over the years, I've checked out a lot of the posters home pages
when they post trip reports and I find that most go up and ski down
through the day. I never see or hear mention of overnighters unless it's
a hut trip.
The F.S. comment... The one I stayed in was nice, we cooked one
*big* pot of stew on the stove when we were out skiing. From scratch
with fresh veggies. Skied over partially covered logs with the early
season conditions.
It was a good trip that I'll never forget but I do prefer the
experience of choosing my own camp site.
The dead link was the sled construction one and there is a booklet
for download he http://www.skipulk.com
I've been using the model he sells and it's pretty unbelievable how
well it tracks. But the booklet explains all his trials and tribulations
and a person can make up their own mind as to what type of sled they
want to build.
Also, thanks for you time on the page.

Ed Huesers
Http://www.grandshelters.com
Old November 19th 05, 03:27 AM

Kurt Knisely wrote:
I believe he may have been raised by wolverenes in a cave...a snowcave.

You peaked.

Ed Huesers
Http://www.grandshelters.com
Old November 20th 05, 10:00 PM

Ed Huesers wrote:

You see who I am, I'd think. The comment was a bit tongue in cheek but:
Over the years, I've checked out a lot of the posters home pages
when they post trip reports and I find that most go up and ski down
through the day. I never see or hear mention of overnighters unless it's
a hut trip.

Well, it is an acquired taste to go winter camping, and expensive as
well. For people that go once a year or less, the appeal of a warm hut
is a big draw. Cheaper than all the other **** you'd need to be
comfortable. And frankly, building a snowcave sucks compared to just
walking in and building a fire.

The F.S. comment... The one I stayed in was nice, we cooked one
*big* pot of stew on the stove when we were out skiing. From scratch
with fresh veggies. Skied over partially covered logs with the early
season conditions.

There yah go. Tough to leave the XGK going while you're out. Whereas
if you'd gone camping it would have been freeze dried. Again. Other
advantages of a hut: grrls, dry clothes, climbing out of the sleeping
bag and putting on the boots isn't the toughest part of the day, fire,
boardgames..

It was a good trip that I'll never forget but I do prefer the
experience of choosing my own camp site.

More than that, going where there are no huts.

The dead link was the sled construction one and there is a booklet
for download he http://www.skipulk.com
I've been using the model he sells and it's pretty unbelievable how
well it tracks. But the booklet explains all his trials and tribulations
and a person can make up their own mind as to what type of sled they
want to build.

All sleds suck. Get over it. Suffer through it. I prefer the absolute
minimal sled with rope brake.

Also, thanks for you time on the page.

Yes, thanks Dave. Comin' up this way this winter? Drop me a line, or
I'll see you between the parking lot and the chutes.

Usenet is the BetaMax of the internet discussion protocols. Better
protocol, but people just don't get it. If we made everyone go back to
1200 baud modems, web protocol discussion groups would die. And it
would be a good thing. But that is a metadiscussion better saved for
summer.

-klaus

Old November 22nd 05, 01:24 AM

klaus wrote:
Well, it is an acquired taste to go winter camping, and expensive as
well.

Heh, I drank scotch for many years. Acquired taste was what people
said about that too. I must be one for getting suckered into things.
Course, being raised on the cold plains of ND might have some
influence. I think there was one spell that was -30 for three weeks back
when it used to get cold.
Expensive though? It don't need to be.
I started out on X-mart wool and it served me quite well. There's
always those thrift shops to. Army wool pants were my favorite for many
years/pairs. Sure, people looked at me kinda funny but I wasn't on trail
much and didn't see that many people.
My food is the same food I eat at home so that expense is a
constant. Last year I started experimenting more with fresh vegies and
this year I'll be bringing a fresh salad on every trip.

For people that go once a year or less, the appeal of a warm hut
is a big draw. Cheaper than all the other **** you'd need to be
comfortable.

I can see that, once a year, but a lot of you guys go skiing nearly
every week and must have the gear.

And frankly, building a snowcave sucks compared to just
walking in and building a fire.

I find myself being trapped in a cabin with having to take the
clothes off, but now I go out when ever I want. I'm dressed just warm
enough to stand outside for 15 or 30 minutes before I have to go back in
to warm up. If I stay semi active, I can stay outside as late as I want.
Those cabins get kinda drafty too when the fire goes down during the
night.

The F.S. comment... The one I stayed in was nice, we cooked one
*big* pot of stew on the stove when we were out skiing. From scratch
with fresh veggies. Skied over partially covered logs with the early
season conditions.

There yah go. Tough to leave the XGK going while you're out.

I don't worry about the canister stove I use.

Whereas if you'd gone camping it would have been freeze dried. Again.

No, no. I swore that crap off back in 79.
I precook all my foods and eat them cold. Smoked beef brisket is
pretty good. Deboned chicken is convenient. Soft boiled eggs are great.
My favorite is lobster but it's a bit expensive when landlocked.
The only thing I use the stove for is melting snow for water and
that's not hot water.

Other advantages of a hut: grrls

Yep, got those:
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.b...53157e19605b5c

dry clothes

Yep, got those, around my neck and my arm pits is the only place I
sweat.

climbing out of the sleeping bag and putting on the boots
isn't the toughest part of the day

Again... as long as the boots don't freeze. It the ice phase
conversion that sucks all the heat out of the toes. I don't sleep with
my water or boots and haven't had them freeze in the last eight years now.

fire

I've found that they have their disadvantages too.

boardgames..

Well, I carried a deck of cards for eight years and never used them.

It was a good trip that I'll never forget but I do prefer the
experience of choosing my own camp site.

More than that, going where there are no huts.

No tracks, you mean.

The dead link was the sled construction one and there is a booklet
for download he http://www.skipulk.com

All sleds suck. Get over it. Suffer through it. I prefer the absolute
minimal sled with rope brake.

Ya wouldn't believe...
I've used a few different homemade sleds and have seen local guides
using them. None even come close. I haven't seen or used the high end
sleds though. I like them a lot and will be using the sled on most
overnighters this season.

Yes, thanks Dave. Comin' up this way this winter? Drop me a line, or
I'll see you between the parking lot and the chutes.

Usenet is the BetaMax of the internet discussion protocols. Better
protocol, but people just don't get it. If we made everyone go back to
1200 baud modems, web protocol discussion groups would die. And it
would be a good thing. But that is a metadiscussion better saved for
summer.

You guys have been around a lot longer than I. I don't particularly
like the web based groups.

Ed Huesers
Http://www.grandshelters.com