Speed: Boards vs. Skis??

Old November 30th 10, 07:08 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Richard Henry

Default Speed: Boards vs. Skis??

On Nov 30, 9:05*am, "Norm" wrote:
"downhill" wrote in message

Where does "camber" and "caster" come in?
caster is the degree of what used to be called kingpin inclination it is
the center of the shaft that the spindle rotates on when it turns,
changing the caster affects how much force is needed to turn steering
wheel among other things.
camber is tilt of tire top to bottom the increase in camber helps with
the grip of tire in turns adds more drag in straights
toe would be your next question that is pointing the front of tire more
towards the center of car Toe in or away from the center Toe out this is
one of the adjustments for getting the car to initiate or start a turn

To compare (loosely) with skiing, Caster would be how far forward or
backward you are leaning, Camber would be how much you tilt (edge) the
ski or skis, and toe in would refer to whether or not you are in a
snowplow. The term camber we actually use in relation to skis means
something else entirely, how much the skis are preflexed end to end.

Or you could change the side cut and base cut angles this would be *a
camber change.

By side cut base cut are you referring to the angle at which the edges are
ground? In this case, yes, this does bias the camber, but not as much as a
small change in the edging by the skier. Skiers have the advantage over
autos that they can dynamically change some of these adjustments to suit
conditions, whereas cars, for the most part, have a predetermined ideal
designed to suit most conditions and need a trip to the shop to make
changes.

Traditionally, when discussing skis the term sidecut refers to the
difference in width between the front, middle and tail of the skis. We have
to be careful not to redefine already commonly used terms. We have seen what
confusion that can lead to. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think
sidecut has an equivalent in the automobile.

Turning radius?
Old November 30th 10, 07:55 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
twobuddha twobuddha is offline
Banned

On Nov 29, 7:17*pm, VtSkier wrote:
On 11/29/2010 09:18 PM, lal_truckee wrote:

On 11/29/10 4:04 PM, VtSkier wrote:
Such fun to go
digging for your skis.

Powder cords.
$1 worth of hardware store cord or fabric store ribbon.
Or
$12 packaged and sold by the resort shop to the forgetful.

Oh, yeah. And you know I own such. Trouble is
I didn't remember to bring them for my rental
skis. AND it was the PNW (Baker) where real
deep powder is fairly rare.

Real deep is rare at Baker? A mountain that regularly leads the
nation in total snowfall?
Not only a blowhard, but a transparently stupid blowhard coward.
Old November 30th 10, 08:00 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
twobuddha twobuddha is offline
Banned

On Nov 30, 6:25*am, snoig wrote:
Yes, apparently skiers have caught up, but it was snowboarders who
started X races, and the skiers were to catch up. Nevertheless, as
I've said, racing is a "controlled" environment; the integrity of the
skiing [knowledge] also including "line" selection, that's why I'd
like to see the head-to-head Chinese downhill's result to see who is
faster. But really, this question (boards vs skis speed) is like to
ask "which 'rifle' is more accurate?" no matter how you industry
argues/presents your data, I would still say that depends on the
"shooter," not the "rifle."

Skiers haven't 'caught up', they were always faster. *That's why
boarder vs. skier X never really caught on. *And if boarders were
faster in the begining, then where are those race results to prove
it? *Never mind, we're all used to you ignoring the facts.

I LOVE IT!! Irony meter wins the X Games Supercross!!! How ****ing
stupid is this dumb****?
Oh, yeah. He hangs out here. Allow me to point out where this idiot
ignored the facts.
A. Snowboarders invented X races. Ichie never claimed they were
faster than skiers, the statement clearly means that skiers started
doing the same kind of races and tricks and "caught up" to
snowboarders.
B. Ichie never said boarders were faster, dumb****. He said they
invented boardercross, basically.
C. Given all the lies and defamations and blatantly obvious
falsehoods normal in this ********, and given that this asshole has
never, ever called one of his buddies out on his dishonesty (Brain
Fried Bob), for this hypocritical asshole to claim that anyone ignores
the fact makes my irony meter want to become a snowboarder.
Old November 30th 10, 08:01 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
twobuddha twobuddha is offline
Banned

On Nov 30, 7:12*am, pigo wrote:
On Nov 30, 7:25*am, snoig wrote:

**I haven't seen anything that you posted that
most of us here haven't mastered by the time we graduated from high
school. *

I didn't learn to ski until my mid twenties. Other than
that...............hit/nail/head

If there was ever any greater testimony that snoig is a lying bull****
artist, being praised by Brain Fried Bob confirms his status as an
asshole.
Hit, nail, head.
Old November 30th 10, 08:27 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
VtSkier

On 11/30/2010 09:30 AM, downhill wrote:
VtSkier wrote:

He mumbled something about doing a drill with gloves between knees. I
ski like a hockey player the knees never get close.

and I also have learned to ski with two feet. If it's REALLY
slick my skis are two feet apart.

lowers CoG

Wider wheelbase, less apt to tip over ;-]

Wider track
wheelbase would be length of skis
track is distance between tires or skis

Thanks, but why can't I have a wider
wheelbase = track AND a longer wheelbase =
length of skis?
Old November 30th 10, 09:07 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
downhill

VtSkier wrote:

Wider wheelbase, less apt to tip over ;-]

Wider track
wheelbase would be length of skis
track is distance between tires or skis

Thanks, but why can't I have a wider
wheelbase = track AND a longer wheelbase =
length of skis?

I did not make up the terms, I learned from the SCCA GCR general
competition rules that that is the terms used to describe those
measurements.

please do not go Itchy on me!
Old November 30th 10, 09:11 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
downhill

VtSkier wrote:

He mumbled something about doing a drill with gloves between knees. I
ski like a hockey player the knees never get close.

and I also have learned to ski with two feet. If it's REALLY
slick my skis are two feet apart.

lowers CoG

Wider wheelbase, less apt to tip over ;-]

Wider track
wheelbase would be length of skis
track is distance between tires or skis

Thanks, but why can't I have a wider
wheelbase = track AND a longer wheelbase =
length of skis?

wheelbase
http://www.bobbybrownracing.com/def_details.cfm?g_id=88
track
http://www.bobbybrownracing.com/def_details.cfm?g_id=2
Old November 30th 10, 09:35 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine

On Nov 30, 2:07*pm, downhill wrote:
VtSkier wrote:
Wider wheelbase, less apt to tip over ;-]

Wider track
wheelbase would be length of skis
track is distance between tires or skis

Thanks, but why can't I have a wider
wheelbase = track AND a longer wheelbase =
length of skis?

I did not make up the terms, I learned from the SCCA GCR general
competition rules that that is the terms used to describe those
measurements.

please do not go Itchy on me!

With any luck, he will go Richard Walsh on you, threaten your life,
give your real name, reveal your identity, and encourage wack jobs to
shoot you. Like he did to me.
You can throw in lie, defame, stalk, etc. That's his MO. Coward,
freak, fraud, fake, all around asshole.
Old December 1st 10, 12:14 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
twobuddha twobuddha is offline
Banned

On Nov 30, 3:55*pm, Ted Waldron wrote:
In article ,

*VtSkier wrote:
On 11/29/2010 09:18 PM, lal_truckee wrote:
On 11/29/10 4:04 PM, VtSkier wrote:
Such fun to go
digging for your skis.

Powder cords.
$1 worth of hardware store cord or fabric store ribbon.
Or
$12 packaged and sold by the resort shop to the forgetful.

Oh, yeah. And you know I own such. Trouble is
I didn't remember to bring them for my rental
skis. AND it was the PNW (Baker) where real
deep powder is fairly rare.

*I agree with this statement.

Mt. Baker rarely gets snow, or it is more this slush found in most
Slurpee machines, *with the same color as those coke slurpees.

I remember the time when Mt. Baker was closed for a couple days in 1998,
because they had no snow *it has happened a couple times afterwards,
when they close the entire mountain because the lack of snow. *They had
to shovel the stuff in to the area. *They had to use all the brackish
water from the drought ridden Nooksack river.

*They also closed the backcountry gates, because it was too dangerous
with the lack of snow..

There are lines on some of the chairlift *towers showing how low the
snow was, it was sad, sad times for all. *It was like the Atacama Desert
of ski areas.

* Opps, that was the Mt. Baker in the evil parallel universe, sort of
like that Mirror Mirror Star Trek Episode. *

However in both universes every one wears a goatee, including the women.

Oh Vtskier, about your Baker, offer, I am going to be gone most of the
winter, I may be skiing in the Mammoth/Tahoe area in February, but if
you go to Baker and the PNW, try to get to Inland BC. or Mt. Washington
on Vancouver Island.

Try to enjoy such a desolate place like Mt. Baker, think of Vail, while
skiing there.

Stop at the Frosty Inn at Maple Falls, and have a Snowcap Ale at the end
of your sad day at Baker.

No surprise these two freaks ski together. One thing for su
Dickless Walsh will never be man enough to ski Mt. Baker if he knows I
am there. He's a coward, but not a stupid coward: he's threatened my
life and that gives me all kinds of wonderful options if I ever see
the freak.
Old December 1st 10, 12:23 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Norm

"downhill" wrote in message
Norm wrote:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think
sidecut has an equivalent in the automobile.

We could twist it a bit and take a formula car and the sidepods between
the wheels could be referred to as the side cut, formula cars looking down
plan view on would have a coke bottle shape narrow in middle.

we coiuld if those pods affected the turning radius of the vehicle, but i
don't think they do, do they?

not that any thing ever gets taken out of context on this group.

Coursenot, couldnthappen...