Tell me about Utah

Old February 18th 07, 12:41 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine.moderated
news.charter.net

Default Tell me about Utah

This is my first trip out west and I'm going into SLC Feb. 23-25. I have
accomodations already: 2 nights in SLC and 1 in Park City. I ski very
little, but skied a lot 20 years ago (I'm an intermediate with a lot of
energy). Can you tell me about the best mountains, lift lines, nightlife.
Where would you do your skiing?

Thanks in advance!
Dewey

Old February 18th 07, 01:16 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine.moderated
lal_truckee

news.charter.net wrote:

I'm an intermediate with a lot of energy.

Park City will be fine.

Old February 19th 07, 12:58 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine.moderated
Mike

"news.charter.net" wrote in message
Can you tell me about the best mountains, lift lines, nightlife.
Where would you do your skiing?

Thanks in advance!
Dewey

I got in trouble skiing out of bounds and very nearly had my inter-mountain
tix yanked (after an resort employee told me I could ski between PC ski
resort and Deer valley?) It's very nice though. I might try the next
canyon south, Snowbird? etc. I remember having to overcompensate on the
hydration though; in the desert, you know.

The nightclubs you have to be a 'member' to get in but since it was dead
when I was there, they cut a 'deal'. Club Ringo on PCs main drag.

Old February 19th 07, 04:20 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine.moderated
Janet

Mike wrote:
"news.charter.net" wrote in message
Can you tell me about the best mountains, lift lines, nightlife.

Where would you do your skiing?

Thanks in advance!
Dewey

I got in trouble skiing out of bounds and very nearly had my inter-mountain
tix yanked (after an resort employee told me I could ski between PC ski
resort and Deer valley?) It's very nice though. I might try the next
canyon south, Snowbird? etc. I remember having to overcompensate on the
hydration though; in the desert, you know.

The nightclubs you have to be a 'member' to get in but since it was dead
when I was there, they cut a 'deal'. Club Ringo on PCs main drag.

Or have a "member" "sponser" you. Sometimes you can just walk in and ask
if someone will "sponser" you. There was a term the local used for
this, but I don't remember it now - it was quite some time ago...

Janet

Old February 19th 07, 04:18 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine.moderated
Walt

news.charter.net wrote:
This is my first trip out west and I'm going into SLC Feb. 23-25. I have
accomodations already: 2 nights in SLC and 1 in Park City. I ski very
little, but skied a lot 20 years ago (I'm an intermediate with a lot of
energy). Can you tell me about the best mountains, lift lines, nightlife.
Where would you do your skiing?

Two days in SLC and one in PC? Spend one day in Big Cottonwood Canyon
(Solitude or Brighton) one day in Little Cottonwood Canyon (Alta) and
one day at Park City ( Park City Mountain Resort ).

Avoid Brighton on Saturday (kids ski free, so it's mobbed with LDS
families). Alta can get crowded on Saturday too. Solitude will not be
crowded. Can't really say about PC, haven't been there enough.

All the resorts mentioned have a variety of runs and you should be able
to find terrain to suit you at any of them. Buy your passes in town to
save some $$$. http://www.canyonsports.com/tickets.html

Nightlife? If you ski like you're supposed to, you won't have any
energy for nightlife. But you may find this useful:
http://www.slcparty.com/Laws.htm

good luck have fun.

//Walt

Old February 20th 07, 03:40 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine.moderated
klaus

Janet wrote:

Or have a "member" "sponser" you. Sometimes you can just walk in and ask
if someone will "sponser" you. There was a term the local used for
this, but I don't remember it now - it was quite some time ago...

This is now illegal.

-klaus

Utah Beer Jeff Alpine Skiing 87 November 11th 05 12:28 AM
Jackson (and Utah) pre-trip report lal_truckee Alpine Skiing 1 March 10th 05 04:10 AM
TR Utah visit Ken Roberts Nordic Skiing 5 February 3rd 04 07:23 PM
Search Resumes for 3 Utah Snowboarders i n k Snowboarding 0 December 27th 03 06:55 PM
Ski Utah! [email protected] North American Ski Resorts 1 September 13th 03 01:19 PM