Opportunity to get involved in pro skiing

Old August 20th 16, 08:58 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Richard Henry

Default Opportunity to get involved in pro skiing

Killington is looking for volunteers to help out with a World Cup race Thanksgiving weekend.

http://digital.vpr.net/post/killingt...vents#stream/0

From what I remember of Thanksgiving time in Vermont, they may be asking for people to shovel crushed ice onto the course from trucks.
Old August 21st 16, 01:50 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
pigo[_2_]

On Saturday, August 20, 2016 at 2:58:12 PM UTC-6, Richard Henry wrote:
Killington is looking for volunteers to help out with a World Cup race Thanksgiving weekend.

http://digital.vpr.net/post/killingt...vents#stream/0

From what I remember of Thanksgiving time in Vermont, they may be asking for people to shovel crushed ice onto the course from trucks.

In my time in skiing a world cup race is/was very different than "pro skiing". Is that still the case. I attended many world cup races and was involved "behind the scenes". The pro races I've seen were always dual format, more like celebrity races only with good skiers. I'd recommend participating in world cup though.
Old August 22nd 16, 01:04 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Ron C

On 8/20/2016 4:58 PM, Richard Henry wrote:
Killington is looking for volunteers to help out with a World Cup race Thanksgiving weekend.

http://digital.vpr.net/post/killingt...vents#stream/0

From what I remember of Thanksgiving time in Vermont, they may be asking for people to shovel crushed ice onto the course from trucks.

Interesting. I've never done a high level racing event (though I
was on the jury for some regional races) but did judge one
of the pro mogul tour events at Killington a bunch of years ago.

I also got to shadow judge a World Cup freestyle event at Lake Placid.
[Very cool judging next to other (apprentice) international judges.]

I'm guessing my experience as an official would have been quite
different from any volunteer experiences.

IMHO, being part of an event is always an interesting experience.

==
Later...
Ron C

Old August 22nd 16, 01:31 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
pigo[_2_]

On Sunday, August 21, 2016 at 7:04:54 PM UTC-6, Ron C wrote:
On 8/20/2016 4:58 PM, Richard Henry wrote:
Killington is looking for volunteers to help out with a World Cup race Thanksgiving weekend.

http://digital.vpr.net/post/killingt...vents#stream/0

From what I remember of Thanksgiving time in Vermont, they may be asking for people to shovel crushed ice onto the course from trucks.

--

I didn't volunteer on the mountain. I was a regular season shuttle driver that got the assignment to "hang out" and provide transportation around town when racers or officials wanted a ride somewhere. To the market, post office, or whatever. I also shuttled between the hotel and race hill. And a couple of times I took the Austrian and/or Swiss team over to Brighton in the wee hours to train. The snow was minimal in PC in that early season.

Some of the highlights we taking Heidi Zurbriggen around town and showing her some of the sights, driving Ingomar Stenmark (privately with the Elan rep) to the airport and same for the entire Swiss womens team. I had an all access pass that allowed me to dine in the athlete dining room and go anywhere on the hill. It was great fun. I still have the hat signed by the Zurbriggen's and the pass signed by Tomba, Stenmark and many others.