Summer skiing - wife/kids dips in the pool, I go skiing

Old February 17th 07, 09:27 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Mads Bondo Dydensborg

Default Summer skiing - wife/kids dips in the pool, I go skiing

Hi all

Its no secret, that I am more interessted in skiing than my wife. So, in
order to go skiing more, I just got this weird idea: Is it possible to go
somewhere in Europe during the summer (July), where I can go skiing while
the kids and the wife spend the time at the beach? Possible just beach like
(outside) climate, combined with a pool? I was thinking perhaps Austria
(skiing on a gletcher).

Any ideas? Any ideas outside Europe, but still within a "middle class family
vacation budget" (originating from Denmark, btw).

Regards,

Mads

--
Mads Bondo Dydensborg http://www.madsdydensborg.dk/

Who do you trust? Nobody? Good, let's put Nobody in charge then...

- The Register on TCPA/Palladium, 20021109

Old February 17th 07, 11:11 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Alan Clifford

On Sat, 17 Feb 2007, Mads Bondo Dydensborg wrote:

MBD
MBD Its no secret, that I am more interessted in skiing than my wife. So, in
MBD order to go skiing more, I just got this weird idea: Is it possible to go
MBD somewhere in Europe during the summer (July), where I can go skiing while
MBD the kids and the wife spend the time at the beach? Possible just beach like
MBD (outside) climate, combined with a pool? I was thinking perhaps Austria
MBD (skiing on a gletcher).
MBD
MBD Any ideas? Any ideas outside Europe, but still within a "middle class family
MBD vacation budget" (originating from Denmark, btw).
MBD

Isn't there a real snow, indoor slope in Dubai?

--
Alan

( If replying by mail, please note that all "sardines" are canned.
There is also a password autoresponder but, unless this a very
old message, a "tuna" will swim right through. )

Old February 18th 07, 07:45 AM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
pg

"Mads Bondo Dydensborg" wrote in message
. ..
| Hi all
|
| Its no secret, that I am more interessted in skiing than my wife. So,
in
| order to go skiing more, I just got this weird idea: Is it possible to
go
| somewhere in Europe during the summer (July), where I can go skiing
while
| the kids and the wife spend the time at the beach? Possible just beach
like
| (outside) climate, combined with a pool? I was thinking perhaps
Austria
| (skiing on a gletcher).
|
| Any ideas? Any ideas outside Europe, but still within a "middle class
family
| vacation budget" (originating from Denmark, btw).

The glaciers at Les Deux Alpes or Tignes in France. Despite the addition
of the new indoor pool complex, combined with the various sports and
activities available on the lake at Tignes, I still think 2 Alpes is a
considerably more attractive summer destination. Loads to do for the
kids there. Two hair-raising (plastic) summer luge runs, quad biking,
mountain biking, grass skiing, tennis, hiking, an adventure park, bungee
jumping, horse riding, white water canoeing or rafting (more sedate
variations available)... you name it the resort offers pretty much the
whole spectrum of summer activities and sports.

Nothing to stop the skier joing in too - the Jandri gondolas to the
glacier open around 7.15 - 7.30 am, and the glacier closes just after
lunch. You're usually back down by 2 pm latest.

In July, especially the first two weeks, it's not that busy, and the
snow conditions on the glacier are (hopefully) better. You can find very
reasonably priced self-catering accommodation, otherwise I would highly
recommend the Lutins hotel (quite cheap, comfortable, very friendly
hosts, 30 seconds walk from the Jandri lift) or a little further afield,
the Cret, run by Jeremy Edwards (of the European Ski School).

An excellent local British ski instructor, Charlotte of Easiski
(http://www.easiski.com/) will also organise accommodation, lift passes,
give you all the gen on the resort, etc, if you'll take a lesson or two!

I've been several times with kids from 6 to 18, they (and I) had a great
time.

Pete
http://mysnowsports.com

Old February 18th 07, 10:10 AM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe

On Feb 17, 10:27 pm, Mads Bondo Dydensborg
wrote:
Hi all

Its no secret, that I am more interessted in skiing than my wife. So, in
order to go skiing more, I just got this weird idea: Is it possible to go
somewhere in Europe during the summer (July), where I can go skiing while
the kids and the wife spend the time at the beach? Possible just beach like
(outside) climate, combined with a pool? I was thinking perhaps Austria
(skiing on a gletcher).

Any ideas? Any ideas outside Europe, but still within a "middle class family
vacation budget" (originating from Denmark, btw).

Regards,

Mads

Suggest Les Deux Alpes in France as it has the largest skiable glacier
in Europe. There is no beach but over 40 different activities
including nice outdoor pool with sun loungers for the wife! See
http://www.peakretreats.co.uk/french.../loadindex.201
which the Summer ski page.

XS
www.peakretreats.co.uk

Old February 18th 07, 03:30 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Matt T

On 17 Feb, 22:27, Mads Bondo Dydensborg wrote:
Hi all

Its no secret, that I am more interessted in skiing than my wife. So, in
order to go skiing more, I just got this weird idea: Is it possible to go
somewhere in Europe during the summer (July), where I can go skiing while
the kids and the wife spend the time at the beach? Possible just beach like
(outside) climate, combined with a pool? I was thinking perhaps Austria
(skiing on a gletcher).

Any ideas? Any ideas outside Europe, but still within a "middle class family
vacation budget" (originating from Denmark, btw).

Regards,

Mads

--
Mads Bondo Dydensborg http://www.madsdydensborg.dk/

Who do you trust? Nobody? Good, let's put Nobody in charge then...

- The Register on TCPA/Palladium, 20021109

I'd go with Deux Alpes for July as well, even though I live in Tignes
and love it to death. We've got the Tour de France arriving in the
middle of July and it's going to be very busy - I know a lot of
accomodation's already booked up and prices are pretty high.

You could always base yourself somewhere between Deux Alpes and Tignes
and take day trips? Don't know how feasible this really is, just an
idea.

Also - anyone heard if they're planning to open Le Fornet this summer?
I don't know what the situation is with the new snow canons and t-bar
replacement up there. Embarassingly, have yet to make it that far this
season :-o

Matt

Old February 18th 07, 06:34 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Michael Chare

"Mads Bondo Dydensborg" wrote in message
. ..
Hi all

Its no secret, that I am more interessted in skiing than my wife. So, in
order to go skiing more, I just got this weird idea: Is it possible to go
somewhere in Europe during the summer (July), where I can go skiing while
the kids and the wife spend the time at the beach? Possible just beach like
(outside) climate, combined with a pool? I was thinking perhaps Austria
(skiing on a gletcher).

Any ideas? Any ideas outside Europe, but still within a "middle class family
vacation budget" (originating from Denmark, btw).

Perhaps you should learn to windsurf (or kitesurf which I think is proably
easier to learn but much more dangerous)

(or persuade you kids that skiing is fun!)

--

Michael Chare

Old February 18th 07, 07:26 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Mads Bondo Dydensborg

Michael Chare wrote:

Any ideas? Any ideas outside Europe, but still within a "middle class
family vacation budget" (originating from Denmark, btw).

Perhaps you should learn to windsurf (or kitesurf which I think is
proably easier to learn but much more dangerous)

Ah, I used to windsurf - was actually quite good - from about 83 to 93.
Unfortunately, I got an injury in my back around 93, and has been a little
worried about windsurfing from that point. These days, when I mount a board
(and years go between that event), I tend to get depressed by my current
abilities with it... :-/. (Seriously, I can not believe how much strength I
appear to have lots in the upper body. One is getting old.).

(or persuade you kids that skiing is fun!)

The 6 year old loves it. The wife and the 2 year old is "the problem".

But thanks! Perhaps I should give windsurfing some more thought. Skiing is
just more rewarding, given my current situation.

Regards,

Mads

--
Mads Bondo Dydensborg http://www.madsdydensborg.dk/

United States Patent 6,368,227:
A method of swing on a swing is disclosed, in which a user positioned on a
standard swing suspended by two chains from a substantially horizontal tree
branch induces side to side motion by pulling alternately on one chain and
then the other.
-- This is not a joke - go look it up.

Old February 18th 07, 09:27 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
john elgy

pg wrote:

"Mads Bondo Dydensborg" wrote in message
. ..
| Hi all
|
| Its no secret, that I am more interessted in skiing than my wife. So,
in
| order to go skiing more, I just got this weird idea: Is it possible to
go
| somewhere in Europe during the summer (July), where I can go skiing
while
| the kids and the wife spend the time at the beach? Possible just beach
like
| (outside) climate, combined with a pool? I was thinking perhaps
Austria
| (skiing on a gletcher).
|
| Any ideas? Any ideas outside Europe, but still within a "middle class
family
| vacation budget" (originating from Denmark, btw).

The glaciers at Les Deux Alpes or Tignes in France. Despite the addition
of the new indoor pool complex, combined with the various sports and
activities available on the lake at Tignes, I still think 2 Alpes is a
considerably more attractive summer destination. Loads to do for the
kids there. Two hair-raising (plastic) summer luge runs, quad biking,
mountain biking, grass skiing, tennis, hiking, an adventure park, bungee
jumping, horse riding, white water canoeing or rafting (more sedate
variations available)... you name it the resort offers pretty much the
whole spectrum of summer activities and sports.

There is also a couple interesting via ferrata in the Veneon valley, one
finishing in Les Deux Alpes itself.

Old February 19th 07, 07:40 AM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Mads Bondo Dydensborg

john elgy wrote:

The glaciers at Les Deux Alpes or Tignes in France. Despite the addition
of the new indoor pool complex, combined with the various sports and
activities available on the lake at Tignes, I still think 2 Alpes is a
considerably more attractive summer destination. Loads to do for the
kids there. Two hair-raising (plastic) summer luge runs, quad biking,
mountain biking, grass skiing, tennis, hiking, an adventure park, bungee
jumping, horse riding, white water canoeing or rafting (more sedate
variations available)... you name it the resort offers pretty much the
whole spectrum of summer activities and sports.

There is also a couple interesting via ferrata in the Veneon valley, one
finishing in Les Deux Alpes itself.

Hi.

What is a "via ferrata" ? (Or am I misreading your comment here?)

Regards,

Mads

--
Mads Bondo Dydensborg http://www.madsdydensborg.dk/

It is a look [of indecision and fear] I know well - if he had been a
subordinate commander in battle I would have immediately relieved him of his
command.

General Sir Michael Rose, Former Commander of the UN Protection Force in
Bosnia, on Pres. Bushs 5 minutes lack of reaction to the attack on the World
Trade Center. 2004.07.01

Old February 19th 07, 08:17 AM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Alex Heney

On Mon, 19 Feb 2007 09:40:13 +0100, Mads Bondo Dydensborg
wrote:

john elgy wrote:

The glaciers at Les Deux Alpes or Tignes in France. Despite the addition
of the new indoor pool complex, combined with the various sports and
activities available on the lake at Tignes, I still think 2 Alpes is a
considerably more attractive summer destination. Loads to do for the
kids there. Two hair-raising (plastic) summer luge runs, quad biking,
mountain biking, grass skiing, tennis, hiking, an adventure park, bungee
jumping, horse riding, white water canoeing or rafting (more sedate
variations available)... you name it the resort offers pretty much the
whole spectrum of summer activities and sports.

There is also a couple interesting via ferrata in the Veneon valley, one
finishing in Les Deux Alpes itself.

Hi.

What is a "via ferrata" ? (Or am I misreading your comment here?)

Permanently roped (usually with metal "ropes") routes across the
mountains.

--
Alex Heney, Global Villager
You will never be younger than you are today..

summer skiing Nordic Skiing 0 June 7th 04 03:44 AM
Summer skiing not in South America? Marco Cattaneo European Ski Resorts 3 May 12th 04 07:32 AM
Skiing in Utah BRL Nordic Skiing 5 November 25th 03 06:43 PM
Summer Skiing in the Pyrenees David Off European Ski Resorts 1 August 25th 03 11:20 AM