Controlling Speed Down the Fall Line

Old January 20th 04, 09:36 PM
MattB

Walt wrote:
klaus wrote:

Ahh, but there's the difference between AT/Pinna. The Pinna would
drink the beer if he found it open, under a bridge, and warm. Pinnas
are just like that. Well unless it's Kurs or Kokanee.

Even in the winter?

I don't know about you, but if I found an open beer bottle in the snow
with warm yellow liquid in it, I don't think I'd drink it. Chance are
it'd taste just like Coors.

OK, as a Pinna myself (part time) I have to say that I would not drink the
Coors, or Coors-like liquid.
Maybe that's just the Alpine in me, but I just wouldn't do it!

Matt (now if it was a sealed Chimay that would be a different story)

Old January 20th 04, 10:09 PM
lal_truckee

Walt wrote:
klaus wrote:

Ahh, but there's the difference between AT/Pinna. The Pinna would
drink the beer if he found it open, under a bridge, and warm. Pinnas
are just like that. Well unless it's Kurs or Kokanee.

Even in the winter?

I don't know about you, but if I found an open beer bottle in the snow
with warm yellow liquid in it, I don't think I'd drink it. Chance are
it'd taste just like Coors.

Maybe the trick is to leave it in the snow a little longer? After all,
Kuirs is drunk (by those willing to drink it) at near freezing
temperatures so that the tastebuds are unresponsive...

In any case, if someone was to put one of my Urquels (capped, of course)
in the snow I'd just have to pull it out and leave it in the sun to warm
up to a passable drinking temperature.

Old January 21st 04, 08:44 PM
Frank Wiles

Interesting thoughts.

How about this though: all this if fine on open, groomed slopes but how
about when the snow isn't groomed and you are screaming down a narrow trail.
I've seen it done - kind of hopping from side to side (ski to ski) and
slowing yourself down that way - but how do you do it. I'm fine on the wide
and groomed (thanks to Lito's video), but hopelessly lost on chutes and
narrower trails (10 to 20 feet wide), especially with wild snow.

I guess it's more a question of what to do with wild snow, since I can
manage a fall-line descent on the groomed with no problem. So, what's with
this hopping from side to side thing - and how do you do it?

Cheers

Old January 21st 04, 08:57 PM
Monique Y. Herman

On 2004-01-21, Frank Wiles penned:
Interesting thoughts.

How about this though: all this if fine on open, groomed slopes but
how about when the snow isn't groomed and you are screaming down a
narrow trail. I've seen it done - kind of hopping from side to side
(ski to ski) and slowing yourself down that way - but how do you do
it. I'm fine on the wide and groomed (thanks to Lito's video), but
hopelessly lost on chutes and narrower trails (10 to 20 feet wide),
especially with wild snow.

I guess it's more a question of what to do with wild snow, since I can
manage a fall-line descent on the groomed with no problem. So, what's
with this hopping from side to side thing - and how do you do it?

Are you talking about jump-turns, or something different?

Are the people you're seeing really slowing themselves down that much,
or do they just maintain control while at speed in varying conditions?
When I'm picking my way down a mogul run, a few turns at a time, I often
see others making beautiful, continuous, tight turns. It makes me
wonder if they're really skiing the same run as me, or if maybe I'm
hallucinating. They're not taking it slow, but the precision of their
movements can give that impression.

My last lesson helped me a ton with narrow spots. The instructor was
able to get me to make much smaller-radius turns than I ever had before.
He also got me much more comfortable choosing a place to turn and
following through (as opposed to my previous method, which he called
"shopping"). Once I had tighter turns and greater confidence in my
ability to turn where I needed to, runs effectively widened for me,
because the 10% to either side was now useable, as opposed to scary.

--
monique

Old January 21st 04, 09:44 PM
Frank Wiles

Monique,

Seems more like "jump turns" to me, though I'm not sure that they are
actually jumping - perhaps kind of a hop movement. The turn is very tight
with the body moving in pretty much a strait line directly down the fall
line. I'm not sure if its for speed control. but given the steepness of the
runs it seems like it must be. Again, I'm talking about off-piste skiing
as I think the element of "wild snow" or manky, crusty, unpredictable
conditions is the key factor here. In groomed conditions one could simply
make very tight turns as you describe, but in these conditions they simply
don't work (at least for me).

Frank

Old January 21st 04, 10:34 PM
lal_truckee

Frank Wiles wrote:
Interesting thoughts.

How about this though: all this if fine on open, groomed slopes but how
about when the snow isn't groomed and you are screaming down a narrow trail.
I've seen it done - kind of hopping from side to side (ski to ski) and
slowing yourself down that way - but how do you do it. I'm fine on the wide
and groomed (thanks to Lito's video), but hopelessly lost on chutes and
narrower trails (10 to 20 feet wide), especially with wild snow.

I guess it's more a question of what to do with wild snow, since I can
manage a fall-line descent on the groomed with no problem. So, what's with
this hopping from side to side thing - and how do you do it?

Used to be a standard clinic excercise: find moderately steep slope,
start at top with skis accross the fall-line, chest down the fall-line;
and make as many jump turns as you can in the available distance,
without changing chest direction. Get's you used to controlling your
skis off the snow, and being precise in placement back onto the snow.
Looks kindo dorky, tho.

Old January 22nd 04, 05:08 PM
lal_truckee

John Red-Horse wrote:

In article ,
wrote:

Used to be a standard clinic excercise: find moderately steep slope,
start at top with skis accross the fall-line, chest down the fall-line;
and make as many jump turns as you can in the available distance,
without changing chest direction.

As the terrain gets tricker, I guess one is ready to graduate to:

http://www.earnyourturns.com/article.../pedal_hop.htm

I just had a thought - can pinnas pedal-hop? Or does the loose heal
allow the skis to tangle in such a manuver? I don't believe I've ever
seen one attempt a p-h, but that says nothing - seeing anyone attempt a
p-h is pretty rare.