Early ski in Yellowstone

Old August 13th 03, 01:47 AM
GR

Default Early ski in Yellowstone

Is there reliable snow around Thanksgiving in Yellowstone for XC?
What is the quality of said snow?
Thanks,
gr

Old August 13th 03, 11:25 PM
Michael Motek

My guess is that is a bit early but you might get lucky. You might try
giving Yellowstone Expeditions a call/email. I've gone with them a
couple of times and they are very helpful:

http://yellowstoneonline.com/yellowstoneexpeditions/

In article , greif1
@nospamrochester.rr.com says...

Old August 14th 03, 02:53 AM
Gene Goldenfeld

Lots of camps and team practices are held there that week and have been
able to sustain themselves over the years because the snow is usually good,
right into town. Like Rob, the year I went we had to go up into the hills
to ski and it was icy many days. What a memory. That was my first year of
pretense at serious skiing -- I had never skated before they had us try out
in front of everybody to be placed in groups. Every morning and afternoon
we'd jump in the rickety old van with John Downing driving and Torbjorn
riding shotgun and him jumping out every 5-10 minutes to readjust the
chains, which were awfully noisy on one side.

Gene

Old August 14th 03, 11:29 AM
Jay Tegeder

I went to the Yellowstone Camp during Thanksgiving in '96. I went with
two other guys. We drove out from the Twin Cities and left some of the
best early season skiing we had in years in Minnesota. The drive
through North Dakota was difficult in places because of blowing snow.
When we got to West Yellowstone, there was snow everywhere. We skied
the Reandevouz Trails the whole time there. We just skied and did not
participate in the instruction camp. We talked to all of the ski reps,
hung out with Torbjorn, Dick Hunt and Downing at the evening
exposition. Among the skiers there were Suzanne King, Ingrid Butts,
Ben Husaby, John Bauer and Pat Weaver. Weaver skied at a real slow
pace due to the altitude so we skied with him for awhile.

Jay Tegeder
"On the podium if the right people don't show up!" JT

Old August 14th 03, 03:40 PM
sknyski

Forget WY. Too iffy around Thanksgiving. Go to Silver Star in BC or,
believe it or not, Tahoe. A number of times I have made grand plans
to take a big trip over t-day to kick off the season, then I realize
that I just should have stayed home (i.e. Tahoe).

bt
Old August 14th 03, 05:06 PM
Chris Cline

Hi Gary-
There is *usually* reliable snow in West Yellowstone
at Thanksgiving. In a bad year, the snow may be too
sparse in town, but there is usually skiing on a
plateau above town. You have to travel a bit, but not
bad.

They have a GREAT thanksgiving weekend ski clinic
there, which I heartily reccomend-- they have
divisions for all skill levels, and I guarantee that
you will go back home with a season's worth of
technique things to work on. As a testament to the
snow conditions, I don't think they've ever had to
cancel a clinic.

Chris Cline
SLC, UT

http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com

Old August 17th 03, 03:08 AM
Gary Jacobson

I can't remember a Thanksgiving- well I recall one, that I didn't ski
somewhere in New York State.
The year I recall not skiing it was 70 F, and I went for along trail run
with shorts on. Maybe like 1989.

Warning, warning, OT......That warm Thanksgiving during my dog took off and
got lost 10 miles from home. We spent hours on the roads looking for her. No
one searching ,ever saw her but a guy at Mohonk Gate House said he saw a dog
walk by with blood all over. Later at night she made it home- presumably by
way of trails. She lived out the rest of her very exciting life with a
perfect arch shaped piece of ear missing. Some animal must have taken a
chomp out of it. Maybe a rabid turkey.

Gary Jacobson
Rosendale, NY

"GR" wrote in message
Is there reliable snow around Thanksgiving in Yellowstone for XC?
What is the quality of said snow?
Thanks,
gr

Recommendations for Weekend Sking in Early December in Europe Daithi European Ski Resorts 9 February 24th 04 07:01 AM
Early 03-04 Ski Deals? Spider General 7 November 25th 03 01:55 PM
early snow three valleys NIC ATKINSON Snowboarding 0 November 6th 03 03:38 PM
what is the best place to ski in New England early december? Mark Webb Snowboarding 1 August 25th 03 03:40 AM
Early season in St Anton Ralf Langanke European Ski Resorts 9 July 22nd 03 10:02 PM