Snowboard swivel devices

Old August 16th 03, 09:55 AM
Dan Morgan

Default Snowboard swivel devices

I've recently seen some devices (e.g. Swivler and SpinU 180) which say
that they let you spin your front binding round for easier walking.
Has anyone got any experience of these, cos they seem like a good
idea, but I'm not convinced...

Thanks for any responses

Dan
Old August 17th 03, 12:57 AM
Gary

no way! i have always told my friends it would be awesome to have
something like that. now they have them! i might just have to try it
out. it would also make riding the lift easier, that is, if you could
swivel it in midair...

Old August 18th 03, 05:23 AM
Bruce Chang

Yikes.. $115 US? That's quite a bit... =o' Dont' know if I'd pony up
that much money for it.. Maybe if it was closer to $50..

-Bruce

"Dr Bob Holt" wrote in message
http://www.frontssnowboarding.com/

--
http://www.endlesswinter.co.uk
"When Hell freezes over, I'll snowboard there too"

"elb" wrote in message
In article ,
says...
This device sounds as if it would solve me getting knee
strain on the tows.

That's the only situtation I can think of that such a thing would be of
any benefit. For skating, it just sounds like a great way to break an
ankle.

- elb

Old August 18th 03, 02:16 PM
Snowboardripper

Do not buy this item if you are a serious snowboarder. There was a
guy a snowboard camp that had a swivel and it actually came loose all
the time. This makes it very deadly. Imagine going down a steep and
you front foot moves, or imagine going over a huge kicker and as you
rotate the the binding also rotates or you are on a rail and it
decides to come loose. This goes in the same group as step ins. For
some people they are great but for jibbers and serious riders these
are useless toys.

This things are ment for the people that snowboard once a year or get
sucked into buying it when they get there first board.
Old August 18th 03, 02:46 PM
Mike T

This goes in the same group as step ins. For
some people they are great but for jibbers and serious riders these
are useless toys.

IMHO you weakened your argument by bringing up step-ins. A number of
serious riders both at my local mountain and on this newsgroup have good
reasons for using step-ins.

Back to the topic at hand...

Am I correct in understanding that the idea is to use one of these on your
front foot only? Your front foot would be higher off the board than your
back foot. It doesn't take much of that to ruin your form, and worse yet,
your knees and hips.

Your stance is about more than your front foot angle, folks. Back foot
angle, stance width, and offset from center also come into play. Allowing
freedom in one of the four doesn't help much at the end of the day. Sure,
it might be good for changing the front foot angle for skating, but at the
cost of ruining your form while actually riding, not to mention putting your
knees and hips into an awkward position?

I'm with Switters - just learn to skate with your current stance. Practice
enough and you'll get it. If you live someplace where it snows, practice at
home if you like.

And if you use these things, please do something to raise your back foot to
the same height as your front one!

Mike T

Old August 20th 03, 11:12 AM
Dan Morgan

Thanks to everyone for their responses, I think I'll stick with my
first thought, which was "nice idea, but not for me"!

Cheers

Dan
Old August 20th 03, 02:15 PM
Tiburon27

Some binding company came up with the idea like 10 years ago. I didn't buy
into it then and I won't buy into it now. The idea is that it's for the
front foot only and it's *supposed to* lock into place when skating and when
riding.