Pain in left forearm after starting boarding

Old March 1st 04, 03:37 PM
Ralph Kent

Default Pain in left forearm after starting boarding

Hello all

I started boarding about 10 days ago and am loving it. However, as a
former skier I am noticing its taking a lot more out of my 31 year old
body. One injury that doesn't seem to be going away is in my left
forearm. I thought to begin with this was just a product of it being
tired from constantly pushing me up onto my heelside edge, and that it
would go away. Now I'm starting to wonder if I've either lightly
fractured it in a fall (don't recall anything too major) or
alternatively its tendonitis. I have booked to see the doctor on
Wednesday, I was just wondering if I could pick the brains of people
who've been doing it for longer than me and might have experienced
similar. Pain only really manifests itself when I try to grip
something tight, or try to rotate my forearm. No visible bruising or
swelling on the forearm, so clearly not badly broken (if at all).

many thanks
Old March 1st 04, 03:44 PM
og

If you don't remember doing it it's probobly a strain or bruise. There's a
lot of little bones in your wrist that can bang together and cause pain. I
guess it's worth checking
out..

om...

Old March 1st 04, 05:06 PM
Baretta

Sound similar to what happened to me when I started out. I think it was just
an awkward fall on it but it ached for a week. Same thing, no swelling or
bruising - just pain. Promptly started wearing wrist guards to avoid it
happening again. Recovered OK and its been fine so far. Aslo, Try to board
with closed fists to avoid fingers being bent back when you try to brace a
fall. Found it easier to just tuck and roll with the fall instead of trying
to brace it with my hands and arms - less painful too.

Old March 1st 04, 07:15 PM
Edmunde Lee

Pain only really manifests itself when I try to grip
something tight, or try to rotate my forearm. No visible bruising or
swelling on the forearm, so clearly not badly broken (if at all).

many thanks

Beginning snowboarding subjects your body to many unfamiliar
stresses... namely, as you mentioned, repeatedly pushing yourself up
off the ground =) If lifting yourself onto your heelside is causing
you grief, flip over and push off onto your toes.. it may be the
awkward angle of your wrists when trying to get up this way.. keep
your wrists straight, and push off with your knuckles perhaps.

I used to have sore arms/triceps from this, especially when first
starting off.

If this is your only gripe.. consider yourself lucky..

Sounds like you need to hurt something else, to a greater extent, to
get your mind off the tender arm.. go hit the pipe. =D

I try my very, VERY best to avoid the doctor's office, at all costs..
that's where the sick people go.. right? With all due respect, most
people are far to quick to suggest a visit to the doctor... at least
that's my paranoid opinion.

Bruises and bumps heal.. unless something is actually jutting out from
your arm, like a bone, ski pole, etc.. just rest up. There's usually
very little a doctor can do for you for a typical, non-critical
injury, aside from prescribe medication to take your mind off the
pain, that and tell you stay off the slopes for a week or so.

That being said, take two shots of burbon and call me in the mourning.
Old March 1st 04, 07:16 PM
Ace

If you don't remember doing it it's probobly a strain or bruise. There's a
lot of little bones in your wrist that can bang together and cause pain. I
guess it's worth checking
out..

I agree, it's probably bruised. Same thing happened to me when I
started. Good to see a doctor, though, you never know.
Eric
Old March 1st 04, 07:51 PM
Mike T

If you don't remember doing it it's probobly a strain or bruise.
There's a
lot of little bones in your wrist that can bang together and cause

pain. I
guess it's worth checking
out..

I also agree.

Doing and undoing your bindings (from any position) can work your
forearms in ways that you're not used to. I experienced the same thing
when I started snowboarding, and again when I started using plate
bindings!

Old March 2nd 04, 12:51 AM
The Aikidoka

Ralph

I too had this same thing when I began....I started two years ago at age 36.

I used to get this little twinge down my forearms at different times....it
is most likely in fact related to a strained muscle (if it is the same type
of twinge running donw your arm) from pushing yourself up.

Quick tip...as others have mentioned:

Particularly when beginning, learn to get up from your toeside edge instead.
I perfected this little rocking method that I use after strapping into my
bindings. From the seated position, I rock back, bringing my knees a bit to
my chest, as I start to have my board come back down, I rotate the board and
roll to my stomach side on my knees. Rather than let the board come all the
way down, I've timed it so I simply plant the toe edge and stand up right
then.

Practice a few times at home and you'll see.

May seem like a minor point, but when you are learning and getting up a
lot...particularly at altitude, this can seriously diminish your fatigue
over the course of a long day riding.

The only time I get up heelside anymore is when I'm sitting over on the
steeps at the edge of a run...then I simply stand up and go...

Hope this helps...

aiki

Old March 2nd 04, 08:56 AM
Ralph Kent

Thanks to all for all for the advice. why I am getting up on the
heelside - force of habit I suppose - I find it easier to make good
turns from going from left to right (I'm regular) than vice versa. So
all things being equal, on a run I'll try to make that my first turn
to get me into my rhythm. But of course you are all right, I should
start with my knees in the mountain - its clearly a lot easier to get
up that way. And no, I'm not a fat lardy just 'cos I'm over 30!