Norway takes 1st and 3rd in Swedish Vasaloppet!

Old March 7th 04, 12:36 PM
Greg Fangel

Default Norway takes 1st and 3rd in Swedish Vasaloppet!

1 Anders Aukland 177 Norway Vasaloppet 03:48:42
2 Raul Olle 6 Estonia Vasaloppet 03:48:54
3 Jörgen Aukland 2 Norway Vasaloppet 03:50:43
4 Oskar Svärd 1 Sollefteå SK Vasaloppet 03:50:58
5 Marco Cattaneo 199 Italy Vasaloppet 03:50:59
6 Daniel Tynell 7 Falun/Borlänge SK Vasaloppet 03:51:01
7 Peter Edén 239 IFK Umeå Vasaloppet 03:51:27
8 Lars Carlsson 238 IFK Umeå Vasaloppet 03:51:31
9 Stanislav Rezac 3 Czech Republic Vasaloppet 03:52:03
10 Karl-Gunnar Skjönsfjell 186 Norway Vasaloppet 03:52:12
Old March 7th 04, 02:02 PM
Terje Mathisen

Greg Fangel wrote:
1 Anders Aukland 177 Norway Vasaloppet 03:48:42
2 Raul Olle 6 Estonia Vasaloppet 03:48:54
3 Jörgen Aukland 2 Norway Vasaloppet 03:50:43
4 Oskar Svärd 1 Sollefteå SK Vasaloppet 03:50:58
5 Marco Cattaneo 199 Italy Vasaloppet 03:50:59
6 Daniel Tynell 7 Falun/Borlänge SK Vasaloppet 03:51:01
7 Peter Edén 239 IFK Umeå Vasaloppet 03:51:27
8 Lars Carlsson 238 IFK Umeå Vasaloppet 03:51:31
9 Stanislav Rezac 3 Czech Republic Vasaloppet 03:52:03
10 Karl-Gunnar Skjönsfjell 186 Norway Vasaloppet 03:52:12

May I remind you all what I predicted/hoped for a few days ago:

Terje Mathisen wrote:

Anders Lustig wrote:

"Gary Jacobson" wrote in
message .. .

May I boldly predict a win for Stanislav Rezac this year. That's my
hope, and it is surely a possibility.

Seconded.

I'm hoping for one of the Aukland brothers, Jørgen has been very close
a few times, and Anders did win Marcialonga.

1971: First Norwegian victory

All together now: "...and the last Norwegian victory!":-)
Well, in any case, the *only* Norwegian victory. So far...

I know!!! :-(

I've already twisted somthing in my shoulder, otherwise I'd do a Jay T
and dislocate it patting my own back. :-)

Terje

--
-
Old March 7th 04, 02:42 PM
Gary Jacobson

Well my hopes were dashed.
It seems that Aukland won decisively.

These FIS marathon races are interesting as the factors that come into play
get amplified over time. I assume that as they are always head to head and
flatter than 50 km WC courses, strategy and psychological gamesmanship is a
bigger issue than in say the Hollenkollen 50.

I find it interesting that a WC skier like Anders can do well in such a wide
variety of events, like "short" pursuits and the 90km. Vasaloppet. Makes me
wonder if other WC skiers could just jump into FIS marathon cup races and
dominate them. Maybe across the board their physiological adaptations and
training are specific enough for these "easy and long" races. I wonder what
skier has had good results in a single year or two in both sprint and
marathon distances.

The idea of the FIS Marathon Cup was, I believe, to offer older WC skiers,
and skiers not able to truly compete in WC events a venue to show their
strengths.

BTW, my buddy who is just about to finished his 31st (or 32nd) Vasaloppet, a
nonSwede, is Jan Vadlejch who happens to be the manager of Rezac.

I must say that there is something about the skiers from former Soviet
dominated countries, like Olle and Rezac that gets me to root for them.

Gary Jacobson
Rosendale, NY

Old March 7th 04, 03:18 PM
Terje Mathisen

Gary Jacobson wrote:

Well my hopes were dashed.
It seems that Aukland won decisively.

In retrospect, yes.

Watching it, it didn't really seem that clear-cut until shortly before
the finish, even though Vegard Ulvang commentation for NRK said that it
was a done deal almost as soon as Andres had made his second break (from
Olle) at the 7 k marker, and quickly got 3-4, then 5-6-7 seconds.

Remembering last year, I was still worried until they got onto Main
street Mora. :-)

These FIS marathon races are interesting as the factors that come into play
get amplified over time. I assume that as they are always head to head and
flatter than 50 km WC courses, strategy and psychological gamesmanship is a
bigger issue than in say the Hollenkollen 50.

I find it interesting that a WC skier like Anders can do well in such a wide
variety of events, like "short" pursuits and the 90km. Vasaloppet. Makes me
wonder if other WC skiers could just jump into FIS marathon cup races and
dominate them. Maybe across the board their physiological adaptations and
training are specific enough for these "easy and long" races. I wonder what
skier has had good results in a single year or two in both sprint and
marathon distances.

I think the real issue here, and the reason Anders could start in his
first Vasalopp ever and win it exactly as planned, was due to several
factors:

a) Anders' brothers have skied it before, and Jørgen has been very close
a couple of times, which meant that he _knew_ that it was possible.

After all, Anders has won one or two mass start world cup events due to
his immensly strong double poling.

b) With so much double poling, having world class ski preparation that
gives near-optimal glide all the way is even more crucial than in a long
distance WC event like Holmenkollen.

c) For the first time ever, Norway actually sent a team, and spent the
required time in the weeks previously to study the course, test skis,
and plan their strategy.

The idea of the FIS Marathon Cup was, I believe, to offer older WC skiers,
and skiers not able to truly compete in WC events a venue to show their
strengths.

BTW, my buddy who is just about to finished his 31st (or 32nd) Vasaloppet, a
nonSwede, is Jan Vadlejch who happens to be the manager of Rezac.

I must say that there is something about the skiers from former Soviet
dominated countries, like Olle and Rezac that gets me to root for them.

I agree absolutely. Even after they started to beat the norwegians, the
estonian skiers have been popular.

Terje

--
-
Old March 8th 04, 02:02 AM
Mitch Collinsworth

On Sun, 7 Mar 2004, Terje Mathisen wrote:

b) With so much double poling, having world class ski preparation that
gives near-optimal glide all the way is even more crucial than in a long
distance WC event like Holmenkollen.

Yes! This is what I was wondering about in the message I posted a few
days ago. Got no response so maybe nobody here really knows. Do these
guys in the lead pack do anything particularly special, such as using
unusually stiff skis or unusually short kick wax zones, in order to
really optimize glide? Once they're in the draft they *appear* to not
have to work terribly hard to stay in the pack... at least until they
hit an uphill and have to KDP or stride a bit.

-Mitch

Old March 8th 04, 09:59 AM
Tomas Bystrom

In article , Gary Jacobson wrote:
I find it interesting that a WC skier like Anders can do well in such a wide
variety of events, like "short" pursuits and the 90km. Vasaloppet. Makes me
wonder if other WC skiers could just jump into FIS marathon cup races and
dominate them.

Well, quite many WC skiers have tried to just drop in at Vasaloppet and
failed miserably (to their standards of course). But, if WC guys put the
same focus on a marathon race as other races, they would probably come
out on top most of the time. One has to take into account that Anders
Aukland hade set Vasaloppet as the big goal of the season. I'm not sure
he would have won Marcialonga withouyt that focus (but, he would have
had a very good chance normally too). Per Elofsson did well in
Trans-Jurassienne when it was included in the WC (can't recall if he was
second or third, he was beaten by an unspeakable Spanish guy from
Germany).
Even if the course profile is relatively easy, it puts high demands on
your capacity for skiing in easy terrain - some skiers who do well in
Vasaloppet are strong and heavy, and therefore wouldn't stand a chance
against the same racers on a normal 15K race loop.

A guy who can do very well in both sprints and 50K races is Jörgen
Brink (but can also get horribly bonked on a 10K relay leg) - but he's a
bit too fragile to last entire seasons.

/Tomas

--
Caps and foobar are normally not parts of my address.
Old March 8th 04, 10:05 AM
Terje Mathisen

Mitch Collinsworth wrote:

On Sun, 7 Mar 2004, Terje Mathisen wrote:

b) With so much double poling, having world class ski preparation that
gives near-optimal glide all the way is even more crucial than in a long
distance WC event like Holmenkollen.

Yes! This is what I was wondering about in the message I posted a few
days ago. Got no response so maybe nobody here really knows. Do these
guys in the lead pack do anything particularly special, such as using
unusually stiff skis or unusually short kick wax zones, in order to
really optimize glide? Once they're in the draft they *appear* to not

That's possible.

have to work terribly hard to stay in the pack... at least until they
hit an uphill and have to KDP or stride a bit.

Waxing must have been very tough for most of the skiers yesterday, with
-12 C at the start and +6 before Anders finished. You could see the
tracks turning to mush for the leaders, at the tail end it must have
been _very_ sloppy. I bet there was a _lot_ of klister rewaxing going on
there. :-)

Terje

--
-