Cross country ski's

Old November 24th 05, 07:35 PM

Default Cross country ski's

Hi all,

Maybe this isn't quite the group for it, because people normally discuss
downhill skiing, but maybe this post still fits. I want to buy my first
pair of cross country/langlauf ski's. I am interested in these newer nordic
ski's where you can ski in the loipe or out of it.

Particularly, I am looking at these ski's:

http://www.fischer-ski.com/de/produc...id_product=228
or
http://www.fischer-ski.com/de/produc...id_product=226

I am 184cm and weigh 77kgs. Are these type of ski's suitable? What length
should I get? Also, what length poles are suitable?

The reason I am asking here is that I have been to two shops. One said that
these ski's are not stiff enough and I needed these Salomon ones (forget the
model) in 194cm! I went to the other store and he said that the ski's above
are fine, but I only needed size 174cm. Frankly, I think I might need a
size in between this.

Likewise, the first guy said I need poles up to the top of my shoulder, and
the second guy said up to my armpit. So I'm a bit confused.

Any help would be great!

Thanks

Old November 25th 05, 09:03 AM

AH skrev:
[...]

I have a little bit experience with this, so I will jump in with my
opinions:

About ski selection:

Classic skis are normally your body lenght + 20 - 25 cm, but this has
changed the last years. Fischer has some sort of ShortCut technology,
where the skis are supposed to be sized quite a bit shorter. I do not
know the skis you sent a link to, but I would probably not select skis
shorter than my own length...

What is much more important however is the stiffness of the skis. The
exact pair must be selected to match your weigth. Stiffness of pairs is
never exactly the same! Classic skiing relies on that the middle of the
skis comes off the ground when your weight is on both skis, but presses
firmly on the ground when you have all your weight on one ski.
This can be tested with a sheet of paper on a flat floor. The area of
the ski that comes off the ground with distributed weigth is where you
put the ski wax (gripping wax). The rest of the ski just needs glider.

About pole selection:

They are both right ;-)

When the ski pole is stuck into the snow, it should go to your armpit.
This means that the total length of the pole will be about shoulder
length. Testing the length in the shop can be done by turning it upside
down - the 'basket' should be at your armpit (or maybe slightly above,
as you will be standing on top of the skiis when skiing).

I hope this will help you on the right track :-)

By the way, some shops have very knowledgable people working there with
a lot of experience, and will be able to tell you a lot more about this
than I can. For ski selection I would go to the shop where they can
tell me all about the pro's and con's of the different ski models and
how to go about selecting an appropriate model/pair.

regards, Koert

New langlauf/cross country ski's AH Nordic Skiing 3 December 6th 05 09:34 AM
Cross country ski's AH Alpine Skiing 2 November 25th 05 08:59 AM
Lake Placid: Cross Country skiing begins tomorrow [email protected] Nordic Skiing 0 October 28th 05 05:36 PM
Near fatal ski incident Me Nordic Skiing 22 February 27th 04 02:47 PM
Ski Mountaineering Clyde Backcountry Skiing 2 September 23rd 03 09:18 PM