Ice-Skating with poles

Old August 31st 03, 08:32 AM
Fredrik

Default Ice-Skating with poles

Hi,

The posts about inline skating with poles to train for skiing made me
think of this: would skating with poles also be good as a ski-training?
Or does it go too fast on good ice? Ik know many people in Sweden skate
with poles, but they only use them for the hard parts, and my idea is to
use them all the time...
I will try it when there's ice here, is there anyone who tried it before?

Fredrik
Old August 31st 03, 01:59 PM
Jeff Potter

We used to do this for a couple years when it got real cold around here but
didn't snow. It was better than nothing. I would say it was almost good
training. : ) Something like hillstriding with poles seems a lot more
specific, offhand.

--

Jeff Potter
****

Old September 1st 03, 12:36 AM
Gary Jacobson

It's fun, but there really is little upper body work, unless you are
comfortable with going 80 KPH. with a high turn over.
Not really like skiing as the timing is usually off. Too much glide on good
ice.
Not always true going into the wind.

Never found smooth enough ice that had up-hills.

It is "play" and some of that is good, but I wouldn't do it as primary ski
training.

Better, might be to get rid of the poles and "free skate". That could be
better duplication of snow free skating.

Most of the same arguments against inline skating on flats with fast wheels
apply.

Maybe don't sharpen your skates, or skate when there is 3 cm. of wet snow on
the ice.

Watch out for cracks. The most serious sport injuries I have suffered have
been while speed skating.

Gary Jacobson
Rosendale, NY where for the past 10 years when it has been cold enough for
ice, we have had too much snow to skate, with rare exceptions.

.. .

Old September 3rd 03, 12:31 AM
David Dermott

On 31 Aug 2003, Fredrik wrote:

The posts about inline skating with poles to train for skiing made me
think of this: would skating with poles also be good as a ski-training?
Or does it go too fast on good ice? I know many people in Sweden skate
with poles, but they only use them for the hard parts, and my idea is to
use them all the time...
I will try it when there's ice here, is there anyone who tried it before?

I don't skate with poles for ski-training (just for the fun, when
there is no snow for skiing). So I can't answer the questions about ski
training benefits. Actually, I don't skate-ski at all, only classic.

I almost always have poles with me when skating. I don't use them all
the time, but poles give more options. It is very helpful to double-pole
across rough ice. Sometimes I just double-pole for a while to give my arms
a workout and my legs a rest.

It's probably not a good idea to use poles in a mass-race like
Vikingarännet or Elfstedentocht. "Drafting" would be rather dangerous
with poles.

--

David Dermott , Wolfville Ridge, Nova Scotia, Canada
email:

Old September 3rd 03, 02:49 AM
J999w

Hey ! I can train at the Petit Center here in West Allis, WI ... indoor ice ...
let's see ... 200km on a 400 meter track ... 500 laps !

Oooo, I'm getting dizzy already.

jw
milwaukee
Old September 6th 03, 07:34 PM
Taywood

"J999w" wrote in message
Hey ! I can train at the Petit Center here in West Allis, WI ...

indoor ice ...
let's see ... 200km on a 400 meter track ... 500 laps !

I seem to remember watching a demo here in UK where our biathlon
boys ski skated round a short track iceskating rink.

I think it was a promo for a piece of equipment, I cant remember
which, but I think it was something that skimmed the ice surface and
spread the pulverised ice particles out the back making a wide track
with a surface suitable for skiing on. Didnt hear of it again.
Mike