Info regarding Les Gets needed

Old January 5th 04, 03:41 PM
Jeff

Default Info regarding Les Gets needed

Hi Folks,

Happy New Year

I need a little advice regarding the resort of Les Gets, we're going there
for a long weeekend at the end of Feb and have recieved conflicting advice
about whether we need to hire a car or not. The people concerned were
appalled to find out that we intended to get a bus from Geneva to the resort
and advised us to hire a car so we can get around.

Now my question is, as we will only get 2 1/2 days on the slopes and we're
all at the beginner / intermediate stage (mixture of skiers and boarders)
will there be enough in the resort to keep us occupied or is it all
ridiculously hard and we'll need to go somewhere nearby that caters more for
our standard? if we do need to travel whats the bus service like?

I also hear rumours that it can be pretty unpleasant in the queues (more
rugby scrum), and it'd be advisable to have a chat to the tourist
information people as they can advise us on the least busy slopes / lifts
etc, has anyone else found this?

Thanks

Jeff

Old January 5th 04, 04:37 PM
Steve

Hi Jeff

I went to Les Gets twice last year and am off again in a couple of weeks -

Firstly forget the bus - you only have a long weekend why waste valuable
skiing time, you can do Geneva Airport to Les Gets in an hour, easy
straightforward drive, plus any issues with snow in Les Gets, though
unlikely when you go, you can then jump in the car for the 15 -20 mins drive
into Avoriaz where snow conditions will almost certinaly be good- cheapest
deals we always find are with Autos Europe - Easycar are there but with all
the add ons and excess mileage always work out more, plus its a 10 minute
hike out the airport to the collection point.

Les Gets is a fabulous little town, pretty compared to most French resorts
and a great choice of bars and places to eat as well.

More than enough skiing in Les Gets itself for the group you mention, but if
not linked via lifts into Morzine and ultimatley Avoriaz, found this rating
for the various levels, marks out of 5

beginner 5*
intermediate 5*
advanced 3*
snowboarders 4*
non skiers 3

Never had to many problems with Lift queues, but if the snow is good and the
skies are blue then of a weekend you do get an influx of local skiers, but
no worse that many other places and this year 3 of the lifts have been
upgraded to six seaters.

There are slopes on each side of the village with those on the Mont Chery
are much less busy with a snow park for the boarders, with good conditions
these pistes are great fun.

If you need any instruction for any of the beginners on the trip, we have
found a highly recommended Scottish instructor called Tim Scott - email me
if you want his details.

Hope that helps - if you want a taster then we have had a couple drop out of
a trip from the 20 -22 January inc - Luton Geneva, all in including
Flights, Hotel with Breakfast and 4 course evening meal and wine, Car hire,
Insurance, fuel and Tolls etc - £225.00 pp

Hope this helps

Steve

Old January 5th 04, 04:41 PM
Ian Spare

Old January 5th 04, 06:42 PM
AndyM

Jeff wrote:
Hi Folks,

Happy New Year

I need a little advice regarding the resort of Les Gets, we're going there
for a long weeekend at the end of Feb and have recieved conflicting advice
about whether we need to hire a car or not. The people concerned were
appalled to find out that we intended to get a bus from Geneva to the resort
and advised us to hire a car so we can get around.

Depends... where are you staying?
If you're in a chalet up one of the hills, then it is a trek into the centre. Parking in the centre
is impossible. The chalet I've been to twice (and going for a 3rd time in less than 2 weeks)
shuttles guests to/from slopes, and no doubt to Avoriaz if the snow is poor. Also there's a free
bus around town.

Journey from GVA is about 50mins by car... bit more by bus.

Now my question is, as we will only get 2 1/2 days on the slopes and we're
all at the beginner / intermediate stage (mixture of skiers and boarders)
will there be enough in the resort to keep us occupied or is it all
ridiculously hard and we'll need to go somewhere nearby that caters more for
our standard? if we do need to travel whats the bus service like?

Les Gets/Morzine is all mostly easyish. More than enough for beginner/early intermediate.

I also hear rumours that it can be pretty unpleasant in the queues (more
rugby scrum), and it'd be advisable to have a chat to the tourist
information people as they can advise us on the least busy slopes / lifts
etc, has anyone else found this?

Maybe on a sunny weekend if there's been a dump on the Thursday/Friday.
My only experience is French male teenage snowboarders, that have a habit of waiting for all their
chums _after_ going through the lift turnstiles, whilst still strapped to their board. If they
stand on your skis, then an 'accidental' shove makes them all fall over like dominoes!!!

--
AndyM

Old January 5th 04, 06:45 PM
AndyM

Steve wrote:
Hi Jeff

If you need any instruction for any of the beginners on the trip, we have
found a highly recommended Scottish instructor called Tim Scott - email me
if you want his details.

You mean...

http://www.skischool.co.uk/

--
AndyM

Old January 6th 04, 05:51 AM
Holdgaj

The Skiing at Les Gets is all easy. If snow cover is poor - as it may be at
that altitude then a car is invaluable to access the PDS at other points. I
Would not go without one. Plus as someone said the transfer is much easier
with a car from Geneva.

Old January 6th 04, 01:47 PM
Jeff

Thanks for taking the time to reply everyone, it was very useful.

Cheers

Jeff :-)

Old January 7th 04, 10:09 PM
Andy Petersen

Hi Jeff

I went to Les Gets for a week-end last year. The essence of week-end skiing
is to get there as fast as possible and stay for as long as possible in
order to get more skiing for your money. It is therefore best to hire a car,
since this will mean that you can get to Les Gets and back within an hour
each way. The bus will take approx 2 hours, assuming their timetable fits in
with yours.

Alternatively you could consider a taxi (try
http://www.giffre-transports.com/)

There is plenty for beginners/intermediates to keep you going for a couple
of days - although the resort is often busy we did not have any "scrums" to
contend with in late Jan.

Les Gets is a nice friendly family orientated resort, nothing too
challenging, it's only drawback being that it is a little low and may not
always be snow sure.

Hope this helps

Andy