backcountry in Romania

Old March 20th 06, 02:15 PM

Default backcountry in Romania

Hi,
Here are some picts from the recent trip to Romania... (not mine, don't
ask)
http://hektor.umcs.lublin.pl/~cytawa/Paring/
and:
http://2006.it.home.pl/2006/?Qwd=./8...2ng%20-%209-12
%20marca

Regards
TA
Old March 25th 06, 07:04 PM

Here are some picts from the recent trip to Romania...

Neat. Thanks.

I don't think of Romania as a skiing destination. How high
are the mountains? Where is treeline? Which part of the country
are the mountains in?

--
The suespammers.org mail server is located in California. So are all my
other mailboxes. Please do not send unsolicited bulk e-mail or unsolicited

Old March 27th 06, 09:05 AM

[ Hal Murray ]

I don't think of Romania as a skiing destination. How high
are the mountains? Where is treeline? Which part of the country
are the mountains in?

Not that I know very much about Romania, but I went to a friend's
wedding there last summer (in Miercurea Ciuc) and toured around
Transilvania for a few days. The winters can be cold in Transilvania,
ice skating is a big sport. Not much snow where people live, but might
be more in the mountains. There is a small ski resort near Brasov,
might be more further North in the Carpathians. Treeline is high
enough that many "mountains" have trees on top. I don't think the snow
cover is very stable, so if you live there you might get some good
days, but I wouldn't plan on going there for a (set) week and expect
good conditions without a fair amount of luck. Nice (but poor) country
though, very cheap living and good local beer. Possible to get around
speaking English, but definitely a plus to have someone speaking
Romanian (and/or Hungarian in the Northwestern part).

Martin
--
"An ideal world is left as an exercise to the reader."
-Paul Graham, On Lisp
Old March 27th 06, 02:18 PM

Am Montag, den 27.03.2006, 11:05 +0200 schrieb Martin Thornquist:
Not that I know very much about Romania, but I went to a friend's
wedding there last summer (in Miercurea Ciuc) and toured around
Transilvania for a few days. The winters can be cold in Transilvania,
ice skating is a big sport. Not much snow where people live, but might
be more in the mountains. There is a small ski resort near Brasov,
might be more further North in the Carpathians. Treeline is high
enough that many "mountains" have trees on top. I don't think the snow
cover is very stable, so if you live there you might get some good
days, but I wouldn't plan on going there for a (set) week and expect
good conditions without a fair amount of luck. Nice (but poor) country
though, very cheap living and good local beer. Possible to get around
speaking English, but definitely a plus to have someone speaking
Romanian (and/or Hungarian in the Northwestern part).

1. There are more ski stations. Even pretty serious ones. You get some
info he www.snowpage.de

2. Snow coverage in the rumanian mountains normally is pretty good. You
can compare (at least in the northern and northeastern part 700/800m
high to 1300 in the Alps. Sure, in the summer it's warmer so the
treeline is relatively high (at about 1500 - 1700m).

3. English but also French are viable languages. In some parts also
German.

Greetings,

Ulrich

Old March 27th 06, 11:41 PM

[ Hal Murray ]
I don't think of Romania as a skiing destination. How high
are the mountains? Where is treeline? Which part of the country
are the mountains in?

1) Reuters publishes a book on Worldwide skiing and snow boarding.
My copy is not at home, but up at my Tahoe place.

2) A couple of people from Tahoe have a TV series and web site
Passport to Adventure (.com) with a number of episodes on Eastern
European skiing (including the Caucauses). Of course you want to avoid
hot zones. Helos are used a lot.

In article ,
Martin Thornquist wrote:
Not that I know very much about Romania, but I went to a friend's
wedding there last summer (in Miercurea Ciuc) and toured around
Transilvania for a few days. The winters can be cold in Transilvania,

days, but I wouldn't plan on going there for a (set) week and expect
good conditions without a fair amount of luck. Nice (but poor) country
though, very cheap living and good local beer. Possible to get around
speaking English, but definitely a plus to have someone speaking
Romanian (and/or Hungarian in the Northwestern part).

-20C and colder while I was in the Alps.

China will be the next big future ski destination if the Austrians have
anything to influence it.

Old March 28th 06, 09:53 PM

In article ,
Oh yes, I get some spam from Poland.
wrote:
But we were talking about Romania which is in the Southeastern Europe.

Yep. Here's the subject line.
Subject: backcountry in Romania

See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Central_Europe

Yep. I was just in 4 of those countries in that region.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southeastern_Europe

Yep. That's where I was talking about.
Inconsistent map quality. Try non Wikipedia sources.
There's a growing number of web and non-web resources toward that area.
But the future will still be China.

Wikipedia is a marginal quality reference.

Old April 11th 06, 11:40 PM

wrote:
But we were talking about Romania which is in the Southeastern Europe.

Yep. Here's the subject line.

See:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Central_Europe

Yep. I was just in 4 of those countries in that region.

???
I was in most or even in all of the countries in that region... And I
still live in one of them. I don't see the point though...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southeastern_Europe

Yep. That's where I was talking about.
Inconsistent map quality. Try non Wikipedia sources.

What for?
:-)

There's a growing number of web and non-web resources toward that area.
But the future will still be China.

Oh, I see... Something like 'Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam' ?

Wikipedia is a marginal quality reference.

IMHO it's a good first reference, though.

Regards
TA