Racing Motivation

Old February 12th 04, 07:29 PM
Kenneth Salzberg

Default Racing Motivation

I'd like some reactions from the list about motivation. I've been getting
faster (relative to my age group) for the last few years. This has taken
me a great deal of work. I've been working on technique, and on doing the
right training, at the right time, losing a bit of weight, trying to eat
right, thinking about some race strategy, reading what I can find, doing
Yoga for flexability and balance, etc.
This year, for various reasons, I couldn't keep the program going, took
a month hiatus at the first of the year, and tried to do the City of Lakes
Loppet as the first race of the season - with a DNF to show for it. I did
the Mora Vasaloppet last weekend, and didn't have the snap, nor the
desire, to "race" it - I didn't try to stay with any trains that went by,
didn't care who I was catching, or who was catching me, stopped or slowed
to eat or drink the stuff I was carrying, chatted with some of the classic
skiers I was going by, etc. My time was, as you can guess, somewhat
slower (relatively) than it might have been. I did enjoy most of the race
(except perhaps the windblown lakes with the wind blowing in my face), and
even got a few complements from some guys who had followed me for a few Ks
on my technique.
I'm wondering if I should back off for a year or two, train enough to
stay 'in shape,' but not worry about doing intervals on the coulee in the
fall, etc. etc. and see if the desire comes back. Or . . .
Any thoughts?
-Ken

Kenneth Salzberg
Hamline University

School of Law (651) 523-2354
1536 Hewitt Ave.
Sisu Skier - 50K Club St. Paul, MN 55104

Old February 12th 04, 08:30 PM
Rob Bradlee

--- Kenneth Salzberg wrote:
I'd like some reactions from the list about motivation. I've been

As you correctly note, XC ski racing is a total lifestyle commitment.
It requires sacrifice. You must give up some activities if you are
going to put in the time necessary to be competitive. Is it worth it?
What is the value? These are questions I have struggled with for the
past 25 years. For me, I have found that the more I invest in the
sport the more my life improves. That may not be true for you.

Here are the things that motivate me:
1) I love that pure moment just before the race starts. Nothing else is
important. I have no responsibilities. I am focused in the moment,
and my only thought is that I am now allowed to ski fast for the
duration of the race. I will be doing battle with my fellow skiers.
They will honor me with their best efforts. I will feel like a
warrior. I will feel like a man is supposed to feel. For me that pure
rush of intense effort is as addictive as any drug.

2) I love solving problems and xc ski racing is one of the great
problems of all time. There are so many variables, so much to know, so
many new things to learn that I am challenged every year to stay
current.

3) I love the people who love this sport. They are vital, alive people
who take an active approach to life. They don't sit around waiting for
things to happen. When the cold wind blows they turn their faces into
it and forge onward.

4) I am a teacher and I can use this sport to reach young people to
show them how to be happy, successful adults. I can show confused boys
how to be confident young men. I can show nervous little girls how to
be confident young women. Boys and girls challenge themselves and grow
as they succeed at one of their first adult skills.

5) I love being in nature. I am an atheist, but feel a strong
spiritual satisfaction in being close to nature.

Those are some of my motivations. Think back on what has made you
happy when you ski raced. If those sources are still there, then draw
on them. Perhaps your path now leads you in some new direction.
That's alright. Follow a "path with heart".

Rob Bradlee

Old February 12th 04, 09:49 PM
Onno Oerlemans

I haven't raced long or often, but I struggle with the same problem. I like
the challenge of training, of getting fitter, and I recognize I'm fairly
competitive. I like feeling not just fit, but fitter than most. This is
vain, and I recognize the shallowness of this, and try to suppress it! I
also enjoy the feeling, during and after a race, of having done well, of
having been faster and better prepared. I also hate the feeling, during and
after the race, of not having done well, of having been too weak, of having
overestimated my fitness. I've had both experiences, sometimes
simultaneously.

I also increasingly wonder about the value of racing. Wouldn't it be better
just to go out for long ski tours, on one's own, or organized (like the
CSM), with no real competition, no racing. One could push oneself as hard as
you felt, but not worry about beating others, or setting personal bests.
What would be lost? Perhaps a vague or precise sense of personal achievement
and improvement, but you'd gain peace of mind, serenity perhaps. You'd have
more time to take in the world and those around you. It would certainly make
one a more pleasant skier. I feel this way especially as a race approaches
(i.e. now--I'm going to the Keskinada tomorrow), and these feelings will
intensify at the start. I hate the start and its frenetic stupidity of
people hustling past each other so they won't lose a few seconds in a three
hour race. When a race starts I pretty much long for the time when I'll be
mostly on my own, with no one breathing down my neck. On the other hand, I
like breathing down others' necks, and passing them. Sick.

Onno Oerlemans

ine.edu...

Old February 12th 04, 10:33 PM
John Forrest Tomlinson

Ken,

A year is a long time to back-off. If you do decide to cut back, it's
probably worth viewing it as an experiment, such as to see "how much
less can I do and still get results."

It also might be worth using any time "off" to really rebuild, but
doing some fundamental training that is not mentally hard (for you).
For example, this might be your technique year, where you completely
don't focus on strength/speed or endurance, but just focus on
perfecting technique and take the rest as it comes. Or maybe it'll be
a time for working on flexibiity and balance and not "hard" training
(I keep telling myself I should do this). Or if strength work indoors
is easy for you mentally, maybe that'll be it. Or mabye long, easy
distance via touring and just having fun. You can give yourself a
break mentally and take a respite from the work that can drain your
motivation, which working on other aspects of the sport.

JT
Old February 12th 04, 11:05 PM
Leland Yee

It seems to me pretty significant that you said that you enjoyed yourself.
Being competitive with the front runners is a worthy goal, but so are being
there, being in good enough shape to do the event, having fun. I have never
been competitive in the sense that most of you on RSN use the word, but I
have always had fun at races, seeing how well I could do, compared to the
last time and to 20 years ago. The only thing that bothers me is that the
timers have to stay out for a person who finishes pretty far behind.

A nice feature of the New England Marathon series is that you can choose
either to do the events as races, or as tours, another way to have fun in an
organized event (a lot like doing century rides).

Leland
Having fun at the back.

Old February 13th 04, 12:20 AM
Trukweaz

Perfectly said RB!

KP
Old February 13th 04, 03:08 AM
Gene Goldenfeld

Sometimes when we're on the training train, it seems a bit novel just to
do what we feel like doing without feeling guilty or worrying about
"sacrificing." Neither skiing, life nor our goals are linear or
static. And, of course, we're not talking about dealing with the most
pressing world needs here, engaging in some form of moral betrayal. I
know your schedule didn't line up as it usually does and have the
impression that your training was cycling-heavy being in San Diego so
much. Perhaps that threw off your rhythm physically and mentally. If
so, it happens. Hopefully, there are more opportunities ahead.

This also seems like a year that everyone in the Twin Cities area was
expecting great snow, prepared for it and, despite good conditions in
Nov/Dec and since late January, some are having off years. Just last
night, our friend the captain was mentioning how even with a good
training program, none of his goals have been met thus far after several
races.

Another thing to consider is whether it's necessary to "race it." To
admit that one doesn't feel like doing so seems a sacrilege in a place
like the Twin Cities. I think it's helpful to separate from that
pressure every so often just to make sure we are doing what we enjoy,
for the reasons we enjoy, and when. Maybe just allow ourselves to be
undecided for awhile and go with the flow. It sounds like you're
there.

Gene

Old February 13th 04, 07:22 AM
Terje Mathisen

Rob Bradlee wrote:
Here are the things that motivate me:
1) I love that pure moment just before the race starts. Nothing else is
important. I have no responsibilities. I am focused in the moment,
and my only thought is that I am now allowed to ski fast for the
duration of the race. I will be doing battle with my fellow skiers.
They will honor me with their best efforts. I will feel like a
warrior. I will feel like a man is supposed to feel. For me that pure
rush of intense effort is as addictive as any drug.

2) I love solving problems and xc ski racing is one of the great
problems of all time. There are so many variables, so much to know, so
many new things to learn that I am challenged every year to stay
current.

Wow!

Rob, are you sure you're not describing why you're an orienteer?

3) I love the people who love this sport. They are vital, alive people
who take an active approach to life. They don't sit around waiting for
things to happen. When the cold wind blows they turn their faces into
it and forge onward.

Making a big mistake and not give up?

4) I am a teacher and I can use this sport to reach young people to
show them how to be happy, successful adults. I can show confused boys
how to be confident young men. I can show nervous little girls how to
be confident young women. Boys and girls challenge themselves and grow
as they succeed at one of their first adult skills.

Finding your way around in an unknown area, using just your map and
compass, and your own two legs to surmount any obstacles?

5) I love being in nature. I am an atheist, but feel a strong
spiritual satisfaction in being close to nature.

Yep, this must be orienteering. :-)

Those are some of my motivations. Think back on what has made you
happy when you ski raced. If those sources are still there, then draw
on them. Perhaps your path now leads you in some new direction.
That's alright. Follow a "path with heart".

Good post!

Seriously, I do think that anyone like you should look into orienteering
as a summer sport.

Terje

--
-
Old February 13th 04, 10:52 AM
Rob Bradlee

Seriously, I do think that anyone like you should look into
orienteering
as a summer sport.

Here in New England we only have orienteering in spring and fall
(summer is too hot and too buggy and too much vegetation). I love
orienteering, but in the spring and fall I've usually been too busy
with soccer coaching. My girls are too old for town soccer now, so
perhaps I can get back to orienteering.

Rob

Old February 13th 04, 03:52 PM
Ken Roberts

I've also found myself less motivated by actual racing than I expected, so
next year I'm planning to do less race-specific training. And the same
kinds of enjoyment I did experience during racing could have been had even
if my speed and time had been 10-20% slower. Overall qualititative result
would have been the same: Me faster than some other people, and some other
people faster than me.

Onno Oerlemans wrote
Wouldn't it be better just to go out for long ski tours,
on one's own, or organized (like the CSM), with no real competition

Those are good also -- though I'm suspicious of the idea that there's no
"real" competition going on in those.

Over the long term, I've found the goal of completing long ski tours (even
multiple days) more motivating than races. One thing I found out this year
was that for me (unlike some people), racing is not enough motivation to
keep my body weight lower -- even during race season.

I like both the experience of the festivities of the big race with lots of
people -- and the challenge and solitude of doing a big ski tour. The
second kind is just easier to arrange more often. Sometimes it could even
be the same route as the big race, but on a different day. Like I've skied
all or part of some of the famous European ski marathons alone, and it was a
wonderful experience. And I've found that skating the Cascade-Porter-East
loop at Lake Placid multiple times in one day is a very satisfying challenge
even when there's no race. But the more engaging challenges are in the
backcountry.

On the other hand, I like breathing down
others' necks, and passing them. Sick.

What I like is passing lots of people _without_ breathing down their
necks -- because I'm so much faster than they are that it's not even close.
Nothing "sick" about that, it's a primally satisfying experience. What I do
_not_ like is trying to pass people who it's _hard_ to pass, because they're
roughly as fast and strong as I am.

And I've been in two events that deliver that first satisfying experience:
the Lake Placid Loppet 50K Free and the Keskinada Loppet 50K Classic (and I
hope the Free also). They do it my holding multiple events on overlapping
courses, so during various sections I get to spend lots of time _passing_
lots of people who are substantially slower, because they're doing a
different event from me.

Ken