Neeed advice for visit to banff!

Old December 9th 03, 02:59 PM
WacoPaco

Default Neeed advice for visit to banff!

Hi,

Me and a couple of friends are heading into Banff for some riding in
mid-Feb. Any good suggestions on restaurants, mountains, runs or
whatever you think I should know? We're not much park riders so i'm
guessing we're just going to go and enjoy the powder (we're from ontario
where the slopes are usually ice).

thanks guys
stu

Old December 9th 03, 06:45 PM
Arvin Chang

I'm told the Lake Louise slope (other side of the highway from the
actual lake) is the best. I was there in June (just visiting) and the
view of the Canadian Rockies is awesome. Here is a photo I took at the
top of one of the chairlifts.

http://www.digitalphotocontest.com/p...photoid=192681

--Arvin

Old December 10th 03, 09:48 PM
Neil Gendzwill

This has been discussed lots before, see:
http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=e... ng.snowboard
(mind the wrap on the long url).
Old December 11th 03, 02:42 AM
Al_xtreme

The best resort around Banff is definetely Sunshine Village. It's awesome
for freeriding and it's 100% natural snow. They also have more snowfall than
Lake LOUise and Norquay. Lake Louise is only better for it's terrain Park
which include 2 half-pipes and and alot of rails and tabletops. So, it's
easy

Freestyle ----- Lake Louise
Powder, Freeride ------- Sunshine Village

cheers

Old December 11th 03, 02:17 PM
Neil Gendzwill

"Al_xtreme" wrote in message ...
The best resort around Banff is definetely Sunshine Village. It's awesome
for freeriding and it's 100% natural snow. They also have more snowfall than
Lake LOUise and Norquay. Lake Louise is only better for it's terrain Park
which include 2 half-pipes and and alot of rails and tabletops. So, it's
easy

It's not nearly as clear-cut as that. If the snow is good at the
Lake, I'd rather be there. It's bigger, more vertical, just a better
hill all-round. Sunshine has really improved these last few years with
the opening of Goat's Eye, the replacement of the gondola, the new
quads but Louise is still the better hill.

If you like tough terrain: Sunshine is good if Goat's Eye is good,
Louise has more terrain but none of it as steep as some of the Goat's
Eye stuff. If Goat's Eye is having bad snow conditions then Louise is
tons better.

If you like carving: kind of a toss-up, Louise has lots of nice stuff
on the front but it gets scrubbed off early, nice carving on Larch but
it can be crowded. Sunshine is great off Great Divide chair
(Brewster) but visibility is often bad, also good carving off the top
of Goat's Eye but snow conditions and visibility are chancy.

If you like bumps: no contest really, Louise has more and better.

Park/pipe: I don't give a **** about either so no comment. You've got
entire mountains to play on, why would you spend your time doing
something you could do at your local hill?

Overall, if you're there for a week definitely try them both. In
fact, spend the first day at one and the second at the other so you
know what the conditions are like. I've run into people who just
switched from one to the other after a week of riding poor conditions
to say "why didn't I check this out before?". Bottom line is they're
both world-class hills and you'll be considering moving from Ontario
after the first day.

Neil
Old December 11th 03, 11:10 PM
Al_xtreme

I've been to each mountain and lake louise was always more icy and they had
less snow and powder, but I agree, you gotta try them both.

"Neil Gendzwill" a écrit dans le message de
om...

Old December 16th 03, 07:44 PM
Waco Paco

Thanks for all the advice! I'll be there for a good five days so I plan
on getting on both L.Louise and Sunshine. I'm pretty sure I'll be
heading out to kicking horse for a day too.

By the way, got any suggestions for good food there?
stu

Old December 26th 03, 01:26 PM
rhashana

"Waco Paco" wrote in message
Thanks for all the advice! I'll be there for a good five days so I

plan
on getting on both L.Louise and Sunshine. I'm pretty sure I'll be
heading out to kicking horse for a day too.

By the way, got any suggestions for good food there?
stu

I haven't been to Banff for about 10 years - but I'm sure it still
the
I really enjoyed a meal at the Mexican restaurant called 'Magpie &
Stump'.
Read up on it on Google.