So IS anybody home?

Old April 27th 05, 05:25 AM
The Real Bev

Default So IS anybody home?

EOM

Well, OK, I guess an obski is in order... ****, I don't have one. Maybe next
year...

--
Cheers,
Bev
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++++++++++++
"History I believe furnishes no example of a priest-ridden people
maintaining a free civil government."
-- letter from Thomas Jefferson to Baron vonHumboldt, 1813

Old April 27th 05, 04:00 PM
klaus

Mary Malmros wrote:
I'm home! It's spring!

I'm home, and it's been snowing on and off for days. I guess tonight
it kicks back in:

http://makeashorterlink.com/?I256343CA

And I already collected my bamboo from the driveway..

24 days to lift off for the Big D. Making lists, checking them twice.

BTW: Anyone have any good freeze dried food suggestions? We need menus
for a month. The Alaskan Weight Loss Program. "Lose ten percent of
your body weight in four weeks!"

-klaus

Old April 27th 05, 04:49 PM
MattB

The Real Bev wrote:
EOM

Well, OK, I guess an obski is in order... ****, I don't have one. Maybe next
year...

It's mountain biking season now! Although I got snowed on riding the
other day the biking is definitely better than the skiing right now.

I think I'm done skiing for the season. I even moved my skis to their
summer storage location.

It sure was a great season 'round these parts. I hope next year is similar.

See ya on the trails!

Matt

Old April 27th 05, 06:32 PM
Mary Malmros

klaus wrote:

BTW: Anyone have any good freeze dried food suggestions? We need menus
for a month. The Alaskan Weight Loss Program. "Lose ten percent of
your body weight in four weeks!"

It's not freeze-dried, but I'm a big fan of sun-dried tomatoes. Good
source of C and sure breaks up the monotony. You can cook with 'em or
just snack on 'em.

--
Mary Malmros
Some days you're the windshield, other days you're the bug.

Old April 27th 05, 06:40 PM
klaus

Mary Malmros wrote:
klaus wrote:

BTW: Anyone have any good freeze dried food suggestions? We need menus
for a month. The Alaskan Weight Loss Program. "Lose ten percent of
your body weight in four weeks!"

It's not freeze-dried, but I'm a big fan of sun-dried tomatoes. Good
source of C and sure breaks up the monotony. You can cook with 'em or
just snack on 'em.

Yes, we'll be taking some of those. Great for spicing up bland
food. But the downside is acidity. Sunflower seeds is another Good
Thing(tm). And low acid.

-klaus

Old April 27th 05, 07:17 PM
MattB

klaus wrote:
Mary Malmros wrote:

klaus wrote:

BTW: Anyone have any good freeze dried food suggestions? We need menus
for a month. The Alaskan Weight Loss Program. "Lose ten percent of
your body weight in four weeks!"

It's not freeze-dried, but I'm a big fan of sun-dried tomatoes. Good
source of C and sure breaks up the monotony. You can cook with 'em or
just snack on 'em.

Yes, we'll be taking some of those. Great for spicing up bland
food. But the downside is acidity. Sunflower seeds is another Good
Thing(tm). And low acid.

-klaus

I like tamari almonds too. Good salty snack with protein, some fat, but
not saturated fat if you pay attention to those things (just got my
cholesterol test results and now need to pay close attention).

Dried refried bean and/or salsa mixes can be good. Chips pack light, but
sometimes just end up as crumbs.

Not that you asked, but for cocktails I like to pack Everclear and some
kind of powdered drink mix (Kool Aid, lemonaid, etc). It's the most buzz
for the weight (as far as alcoholic beverages go anyway).

For staples I usually just bring rice and pasta dishes for my main meals
and supplement it with jerky for protein.

Matt

Old April 27th 05, 07:34 PM
klaus

MattB wrote:

I like tamari almonds too. Good salty snack with protein, some fat, but
not saturated fat if you pay attention to those things (just got my
cholesterol test results and now need to pay close attention).

Mmmm.. that sounds good. I'm not worried about cholesterol on this
trip. Way bigger short term issues.

Dried refried bean and/or salsa mixes can be good. Chips pack light, but
sometimes just end up as crumbs.

W're taking lots of that kinds of stuff, but chips end up worthless on
this kind of journey. Tortillas is about all the bread we can pack
due to volumetric/crushnig constraints.

Not that you asked, but for cocktails I like to pack Everclear and some
kind of powdered drink mix (Kool Aid, lemonaid, etc). It's the most buzz
for the weight (as far as alcoholic beverages go anyway).

Not so concerned about buzz per gram. We're taking 100 dollar per
liter scotrch and tequila. It has great barter value.. And tastes
great. You rarely take more than a sip anyway, unless you have some
really atrractive company.

For staples I usually just bring rice and pasta dishes for my main meals
and supplement it with jerky for protein.

That's the basic plan, but when it's a month, you crave variety.. and
anything you're missing.

-klaus

Old April 27th 05, 07:46 PM
snoig

"klaus" wrote in message
Not so concerned about buzz per gram. We're taking 100 dollar per
liter scotrch and tequila. It has great barter value.. And tastes
great. You rarely take more than a sip anyway, unless you have some
really atrractive company.

Or maybe some really unattractive company but YMMV.

snoig

Old April 27th 05, 08:12 PM
klaus

snoig wrote:
"klaus" wrote in message
Not so concerned about buzz per gram. We're taking 100 dollar per
liter scotrch and tequila. It has great barter value.. And tastes
great. You rarely take more than a sip anyway, unless you have some
really atrractive company.

Or maybe some really unattractive company but YMMV.

hahahah That's what Canadian Club is for.

-klaus

Old April 27th 05, 08:20 PM
Gary S.

On Wed, 27 Apr 2005 13:32:35 -0500, Mary Malmros
wrote:

klaus wrote:

BTW: Anyone have any good freeze dried food suggestions? We need menus
for a month. The Alaskan Weight Loss Program. "Lose ten percent of
your body weight in four weeks!"

It's not freeze-dried, but I'm a big fan of sun-dried tomatoes. Good
source of C and sure breaks up the monotony. You can cook with 'em or
just snack on 'em.

In various Italian specialty shops, and a few of the large
supermarkets in the area, they carry a brand called Amore.

Amore sells small tubes (like toothpaste) with various pastes:
sun-dried tomato, pesto, garlic, olive, and double concentrated
tomato. maybe others. 2.8 oz tube, no refrigeration until opened.

Lots of options with these.

Try Googling rec.backcountry as the topic comes up there quite a bit.

Besides freezedried, there are quite a few supermarket items which
work well. The Lipton Noodles 'n Sauce, Pasta 'n Sauce, Rice 'n Sauce
are a staple for many, a great base for other meals.

The same companies which sell freezedried meals for backpackers sell
similar foods in large quantity for the survivalist market, and they
also sell components (freeze dried chicken or veggies).

Many books out there in backpacking shops.

Happy trails,
Gary (net.yogi.bear)
--
At the 51st percentile of ursine intelligence

Gary D. Schwartz, Needham, MA, USA