Fish story

Old July 2nd 11, 02:38 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
snowbender

Default Fish story

http://www.taomartialarts.com/misc/r...flb_062611.jpg

At 11.5 lb and 24", it is the biggest/heaviest trout I've ever caught.
It is photographed in "fine" setting, so the file is big, does any of
your freaks and geeks know how to "shrink" it in size? Tia.

snowbender
Old July 5th 11, 02:47 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Walt

On 7/2/2011 10:38 AM, snowbender wrote:
http://www.taomartialarts.com/misc/r...flb_062611.jpg

At 11.5 lb and 24", it is the biggest/heaviest trout I've ever caught.
It is photographed in "fine" setting, so the file is big, does any of
your freaks and geeks know how to "shrink" it in size? Tia.

Just about any image manipulation software can re-size a jpeg. Gimp is
free, so that's what I use http://www.gimp.org/about/

Nice fish.

//Walt
Old July 5th 11, 04:39 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
snowbender

On Jul 5, 7:47 am, Walt wrote:
On 7/2/2011 10:38 AM, snowbender wrote:

http://www.taomartialarts.com/misc/r...flb_062611.jpg

At 11.5 lb and 24", it is the biggest/heaviest trout I've ever caught.
It is photographed in "fine" setting, so the file is big, does any of
your freaks and geeks know how to "shrink" it in size? Tia.

Just about any image manipulation software can re-size a jpeg. Gimp is
free, so that's what I use http://www.gimp.org/about/

Thanks for the reply, nevertheless, I'm actually looking for a
solution to shrink the "file" size; with "fine" setting, my digital
camera shoots a 1280x960 pixels image which yields about a 550k bytes
file, and a "standard" setting shoots a 640x480 pixels image which
yields about a 143k bytes file, and I'm looking for a solution to
shrink the image down to 150/inch pixels file size (for email and
internet display), if any, tia.

Nice fish.

Yup, thanks for the courtesy of California Department of Fish and
Game; the rumor has it, they're planning to make ICR a "trophy" lake,
so they planed 2,000 lbs of lunkers trout raging from 2 lb to 10 lb
about a mouth ago; I've already caught a 5lb, a 6lb, and this, ...

Lucky me,
IS

//Walt

Old July 5th 11, 04:52 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine

On Tue, 5 Jul 2011 09:39:31 -0700 (PDT), snowbender
wrote this crap:

Yup, thanks for the courtesy of California Department of Fish and
Game; the rumor has it, they're planning to make ICR a "trophy" lake,
so they planed 2,000 lbs of lunkers trout raging from 2 lb to 10 lb
about a mouth ago; I've already caught a 5lb, a 6lb, and this, ...

I don't believe you because I've heard that in California all the
lakes are fenced off so nobody can steal the water.

Vote for Romney. Repeal the nightmares.

Old July 5th 11, 05:05 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
down_hill

Walt wrote:
On 7/2/2011 10:38 AM, snowbender wrote:
http://www.taomartialarts.com/misc/r...flb_062611.jpg

At 11.5 lb and 24", it is the biggest/heaviest trout I've ever caught.
It is photographed in "fine" setting, so the file is big, does any of
your freaks and geeks know how to "shrink" it in size? Tia.

Just about any image manipulation software can re-size a jpeg. Gimp is
free, so that's what I use http://www.gimp.org/about/

Nice fish.

//Walt

He will now prove to you how much he does not know.
Old July 5th 11, 07:59 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
VtSkier

On 07/05/2011 12:39 PM, snowbender wrote:
On Jul 5, 7:47 am, wrote:
[...]

Ichen,
I replied to you, the day you posted. I suggested either
Photoshop or Gimp (which I use) and said that by reducing
the image's resolution from whatever to 72 dpi you will
have a very good display on a monitor AND a much smaller
file size. For instance, I shoot at 600 dpi because it
makes really nice prints on photo paper and will blow up
to a fairly large size with no loss of quality and then
reduce to 72 dpi for web publication. The resulting file
size reduction is from 1.5 meg to as little as 150 kb.

Nice fish.

Oh, and I have a question and a possible answer. If Calif.
F&G stocked with fish from 2 to 10 pounds, how did you
happen to get an 11.5 pound one?

I think I know. He was there all the time but when the
stocked fish got there there was lots more competition for
food so that when you threw your lure in it looked too
appetizing to pass up.

Oh, and in Gimp at least, you can reduce the "size" of the
image from, oh say, 8 x 10 to 3 x 5 which will also
reduce your file size but not as much as reducing the
resolution.

RW
Old July 5th 11, 09:33 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
snowbender

On Jul 5, 7:47 am, wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the email, got it, although I seldom check my hotmail
account. I have neither the Photoshop nor Gimp, nevertheless,
according to your method, I've found I can resize the image in MS
Photo Editor and save it with a much small file size.

Nice fish.

And this one even caught on the video,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNWjz5BPCH8

Oh, and I have a question and a possible answer. If Calif.
F&G stocked with fish from 2 to 10 pounds, how did you
happen to get an 11.5 pound one?

I think I know. He was there all the time but when the
stocked fish got there there was lots more competition
for food so that when you threw your lure in it looked
too appetizing to pass up.

Well, not sure if CA F&G weight the fish that precisely; actually, I
saw the planting, from the middle of the reservoir about a few hundred
yards, and I "saw" some individual fish images flowed out the planting
truck! I thought they were "big," but didn't know they were for real.

Oh, and in Gimp at least, you can reduce the "size" of
the image from, oh say, 8 x 10 to 3 x 5 which will also
reduce your file size but not as much as reducing the
resolution.

Yup, that has worked; thanks much.

snowbender

RW

Old July 6th 11, 12:50 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
VtSkier

On 07/05/2011 05:33 PM, snowbender wrote:
snip

Ichen,
I replied to you, the day you posted. I suggested either
Photoshop or Gimp (which I use) and said that by reducing
the image's resolution fromwhatever to 72 dpi you will
have a very good display on a monitor AND a much smaller
file size. For instance, I shoot at 600 dpi because it
makes really nice prints on photo paper and will blow up
to a fairly large size with no loss of quality and then
reduce to 72 dpi for web publication. The resulting file
size reduction is from 1.5 meg to as little as 150 kb.

Thanks for the email, got it, although I seldom check my hotmail
account. I have neither the Photoshop nor Gimp, nevertheless,
according to your method, I've found I can resize the image in MS
Photo Editor and save it with a much small file size.

Almost any bitmap editor can do what I suggested. Photoshop
and Gimp are what I have access to. Gimp is free and available
for Windoze, Mac and Linux.

and snip the rest