Old pictures

Old June 13th 17, 09:03 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine

Default Old pictures

My father recently passed away. Today I got a box of photos and mementos from the lawyer handling his estate. Included was a picture of my mother on skis, dated 1943.
Old June 13th 17, 11:00 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine

On Tuesday, June 13, 2017 at 2:03:34 PM UTC-7, wrote:
My father recently passed away. Today I got a box of photos and mementos from the lawyer handling his estate. Included was a picture of my mother on skis, dated 1943.

Digging deeper, I found a photo album that includes pictures of her on skis in 41-42. She graduated from Waterbury Vt High School in 1944. Waterbury is where skiers got off the train if they were going to Stowe, and the town put up a couple of rope tows on local hills to drum up winter business for the tourist hotels.
Old June 13th 17, 11:56 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
JayPique

On Tuesday, June 13, 2017 at 7:00:33 PM UTC-4, wrote:
On Tuesday, June 13, 2017 at 2:03:34 PM UTC-7, wrote:
My father recently passed away. Today I got a box of photos and mementos from the lawyer handling his estate. Included was a picture of my mother on skis, dated 1943.

Digging deeper, I found a photo album that includes pictures of her on skis in 41-42. She graduated from Waterbury Vt High School in 1944. Waterbury is where skiers got off the train if they were going to Stowe, and the town put up a couple of rope tows on local hills to drum up winter business for the tourist hotels.

Those are early days of American skiing - save those pics for sure. (And digitize) My grandparents, who taught me to ski, used to ski regularly in the 40s and my parents both grew up skiing in the 50s. My first runs were at Oak Mountain in Speculator, NY, on wooden skis with steel edges, beartrap bindings and lace up leather boots. Gramps made me sidestep and herring-bone up the hill before he'd let me use the rope tow.

JP
Old June 14th 17, 06:46 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
BrritSki[_3_]

On 14/06/2017 01:56, JayPique wrote:
On Tuesday, June 13, 2017 at 7:00:33 PM UTC-4, wrote:
On Tuesday, June 13, 2017 at 2:03:34 PM UTC-7, wrote:
My father recently passed away. Today I got a box of photos and mementos from the lawyer handling his estate. Included was a picture of my mother on skis, dated 1943.

Digging deeper, I found a photo album that includes pictures of her on skis in 41-42. She graduated from Waterbury Vt High School in 1944. Waterbury is where skiers got off the train if they were going to Stowe, and the town put up a couple of rope tows on local hills to drum up winter business for the tourist hotels.

Those are early days of American skiing - save those pics for sure. (And digitize)

and post in the private place

Old June 15th 17, 02:07 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
JayPique

On Wednesday, June 14, 2017 at 12:55:25 PM UTC-4, Scott Abraham spluttered:

All your lies, all your threats, the stalking, the crimes, and I'm still here laughing at you.

Wow that really hurts. A geriatric diabetic alone in his basement, not one single person who will publicly support him, is laughing at me. Question: what percentage of all posters to RSA over the past 22 years do you think support you? I've done some research, and let me tell you - the numbers aren't good. In fact, you come off sort of like Jim Carey in dumb and dumber.. Only you are, quite possibly, dumberer. Truth. Choke on it. Verifiable.

BWHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

I believe you actually do laugh like that. alone. in a basement.

JP
Old June 15th 17, 02:58 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine

On Tuesday, June 13, 2017 at 5:20:39 PM UTC-7, lal_truckee wrote:
On 6/13/17 2:03 PM, wrote:
My father recently passed away. Today I got a box of photos and mementos from the lawyer handling his estate. Included was a picture of my mother on skis, dated 1943.

Sweet memories to savor.

My father grew up on a farm in Fayston, Vt, the town where Mad River Glen and the Glen Ellen side of Sugarbush are located. From the porch of the farmhouse you could just see the MRG trail cuts peeking over ridge to the south across Shepherd Brook. He went into Waitsfield for high school, which meant a 3-mile walk every school day to meet the school bus. He told me once that he made his own skis from barrel staves, but the old pictures of a big buck hanging from the oak tree out front show a flexible flyer-type sled leaning against the tree. He started skiing with modern gear at Jay Peak back when they only had two Pomas, and all us kids got skis and ski gear for Christmas.

My mother was born in and grew up in Warren, where the main side of Sugarbush is located. She and her mother moved to Long Beach for a year (her 9th-grade year) and then moved back to Waterbury. We lived for a couple of years in Groton, a little mill town (textile bobbins and granite) and I recall her taking me and my brother out on the small hills there on skis with rubber bindings that fastened over our snow boots when I was about 6.

Her brother was even named Warren (born there and lived there his whole life except winters in Florida) - he and Aunt Bev bought the general store in Irasville (the cluster of houses between Waitsfield and Warren where Routes 17 and 100 (the ski area roads) meet) after he retired from GE in Burlington. I remember skiing at Sugarbush once and discovering that my cousin, fresh out of the Navy, was working as a chairlift attendant there.
Old June 16th 17, 02:36 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine

On 6/13/17 2:03 PM, wrote:
[...]

Deeper still in the box, I found a wallet-sized print of my brother's Norwich University Ski Team official portrait. He was a ski jumper and Nordic runner. Back in those days, Norwich had a decent-sized ski area (T-bar and rope tows) right across the road from the campus.
Old June 16th 17, 01:15 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine

On 6/13/17 2:03 PM, wrote:
[...]

NELSAP.org page for Norwich. They mention a poma and chairlift at one time..

http://www.nelsap.org/vt/norwich.html
Old June 26th 17, 09:16 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Jay Pique[_2_]

On 6/13/17 2:03 PM, wrote:
[...]

On a related note, at a family gathering this weekend we were talking about early skiing and my mother and her brother recall skiing at Fawn Ridge in the 1940s, which is now a residential development. And, coincidentally, I saw a book at a local store titled Lost Ski Areas of the Northern Adirondacks, which I purchased. There were 54 different areas over the years, now down to 7 remaining. It's quite an interesting read - I'm going to try and find a similar book for Vermont, as that's where the other side of my family has history skiing. (Although not as early as the 30s - they were still in Nova Scotia until the late 40s.)

JP