Mountain High threatened by wildfire

Old August 17th 16, 05:42 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Richard Henry

Default Mountain High threatened by wildfire

The entire community of Wrightwood, which is more or less the base of Mountain High ski area, is being evacuated by a large wildfire "0% contained". I found out about it when my wife called asking for advice on an alternate route because I-15 and 138 were both closed in the Cajon Pass area.

http://inciweb.nwcg.gov/incident/4962/

An LA TV station that a McDonalds near the intersection of the 2 highways burned. I could post something nasty about every cloud having a silver lining, but I must state that they have always had a clean restroom.
Old August 17th 16, 10:02 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
The Real Bev[_4_]

On 08/17/2016 10:42 AM, Richard Henry wrote:
The entire community of Wrightwood, which is more or less the base of
Mountain High ski area, is being evacuated by a large wildfire "0%
contained". I found out about it when my wife called asking for
advice on an alternate route because I-15 and 138 were both closed in
the Cajon Pass area.

http://inciweb.nwcg.gov/incident/4962/

I wish they'd provide better maps. The main map shows an older fire,
with the Bluecut fire just being a dot.

I went to Vegas with my daughter the Tour Goddess over the weekend,
coming back Sunday. Miserable traffic, the AC on the bus almost crapped
out and it was 114F at some point in the journey.

An LA TV station that a McDonalds near the intersection of the 2
highways burned. I could post something nasty about every cloud
having a silver lining, but I must state that they have always had a
clean restroom.

LV is interesting and spectacular, but not worth the gas to get there.
Skywalk and what you have to do to get there is likewise a ripoff, but
the Grand Canyon is always nice, as is Hoover Dam. I swear they chewed
away a LOT of the wall below the dam to build some sort of multi-level
structure on the Nevada side. I'm pretty sure that wall of the canyon
was solid rock 40 years ago :-(

--
Cheers, Bev
"I just realized how bad the economy really is. I recently
Old August 18th 16, 02:45 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Richard Henry

On Wednesday, August 17, 2016 at 3:02:08 PM UTC-7, The Real Bev wrote:
[...]

My wife was in LV for a few days in business, and the party she was working with provided her and her friends a suite at the Trump Tower. My wife reciprocated by making everyone a Filipino meal one night. I was stuck here in our new place on the golf course, where I was using a meat thermometer to measure the outside temperature.

A better map -- http://inciweb.nwcg.gov/photos/CABDF...45.133-CDT.pdf

(which may take a while to load)
Old August 18th 16, 03:32 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
The Real Bev[_4_]

wrote:
[...]

That was nice of her. I made coffee and ordered room service...

A better map --
http://inciweb.nwcg.gov/photos/CABDF...45.133-CDT.pdf

(which may take a while to load)

I looked at that before with Foxit -- labels were too small to read and
I had no idea what I was seeing. Downloading and blowing it up with
acroread worked better. The proximity to 15 might seem to indicate
that the arsonist escaped easily.

I'd really like to see the guy they caught up in N California dropped
into the middle of a fire. This one, maybe. Justice delayed is
justice denied.

--
Cheers, Bev
"It's too bad stupidity isn't painful." - A. S. LaVey
Old August 18th 16, 04:51 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
The Real Bev[_4_]

On 08/17/2016 08:32 PM, The Real Bev wrote:

I'd really like to see the guy they caught up in N California dropped
into the middle of a fire. This one, maybe. Justice delayed is
justice denied.

Better map he

https://twitter.com/Info_CIIMT1

--
Cheers, Bev

"Whatever the correct citation total - five or six - the Deepwater
Horizon's record was exemplary, according to MMS officials, who said
the rig was never on inspectors' informal "watch list" for problem
rigs.
In fact, last year MMS awarded the rig an award for its safety
history."
--AP Article

Old August 18th 16, 05:24 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Richard Henry

On Wednesday, August 17, 2016 at 9:51:55 PM UTC-7, The Real Bev wrote:
On 08/17/2016 08:32 PM, The Real Bev wrote:

I'd really like to see the guy they caught up in N California dropped
into the middle of a fire. This one, maybe. Justice delayed is
justice denied.

Better map he

https://twitter.com/Info_CIIMT1

--
Cheers, Bev

"Whatever the correct citation total - five or six - the Deepwater
Horizon's record was exemplary, according to MMS officials, who said
the rig was never on inspectors' informal "watch list" for problem
rigs.
In fact, last year MMS awarded the rig an award for its safety
history."
--AP Article

We went through that route many times when the boys were playing soccer, since the easiest route for us to the Lancaster National Soccer Center is up 15, then northwest on 138, over the ridge and into the desert.

Why are so many Southern California youth soccer tournaments held in Lancaster? It's windy and hot when it is not windy and cold, but land is cheap and empty, and the City of Lancaster made a deal years ago that they would build a lot of soccer fields (about 30 at last count) if Cal South Soccer Assn guaranteed a minimum number of games or tournament weekends there every year. It's good for the local hotels and restaurants. They also charge to enter the parking lots, and ticket and/or tow cars of people who try the cheap trick of parking out in the desert and walking in.

History trivia note -- LNSC is just a mile up the road and in sight of Palmdale Airport, where all the Space Shuttles were built. A lot of new large buildings were built in the years we were traveling there, so I imagine future historians will tell tales of the currently-secret aircraft that were built (or are being built) there.
Old August 18th 16, 05:38 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Richard Henry

wrote:
[...]

My daughter's roommate since she entered college in 2011 is from Middletown, near Clear Lake north of the bay area. They had a big fire there last year (burned for a week, wiped out half of Middletown and some of the Geysers thermal power stations) that was traced back to faulty wiring on a hot tub.. The unintentional but nonetheless responsible arsonists bought a used hot tub and hooked up an extension cord to try it out, splicing the wires with undersized and/or poorly-connected wire nuts. The tub was set up with a timer to keep the water warm, so one day when everyone was away the timer turned the heater on and the wire nuts overheated, igniting the dry grass in which the wire was lying. The wind carried the fire away into dense brush, and the only damage to the originating property was a burned garden shed and the tools in it.
Old August 18th 16, 03:50 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Richard Henry

The northbound lanes of I15 are open this morning, but not yet the southbound lanes. They are separated for only a few miles climbing up the pass, so maybe there is some damage to guardrails or signs or abandoned vehicles on one side.

That means from a global sense, drivers can go from LA-opolis to Las Vegas, but can't get back, or, as some of my friends would say "not that there is anything wrong with that".

According to today's fire map, Wrightwood (and by extension Mountain High) is still undamaged --

http://inciweb.nwcg.gov/photos/CABDF...38.565-CDT.pdf

Old August 18th 16, 10:33 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Richard Henry

Mt High's page on the fire

http://www.mthigh.com/site/connect/b...ire/index.html
Old August 18th 16, 10:48 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Richard Henry

On Thursday, August 18, 2016 at 3:33:30 PM UTC-7, Richard Henry wrote:
Mt High's page on the fire

http://www.mthigh.com/site/connect/b...ire/index.html

They also posted pictures of the day for last Monday --

http://www.mthigh.com/site/mountain/...815/index.html

Which we hope are not soon renamed "Before".