Why only ski Europe?

Old March 16th 09, 03:25 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
MoonMan

Default Why only ski Europe?

Paul S wrote:
"MoonMan" wrote in message
Dymphna wrote:
The Alps are small compared to the Rockies.

But the resorts are so much smaller in the rockies! I'm just back
from "the biggest resort in the Rockies", Lake Louise and it has 10
lifts, how many lifts has Tigne for example got?

Mmmm, not sure that I'd choose a resort by the number of lifts. In my
limited exposure to North American resorts there seems to be a
completely different arrangement of lifts versus runs compared to
Europe. On the whole each lift in America seems to lead to about 3 or
4 times as many runs.
It's a generalisation, but I'd say that more runs per lift indicates
a less busy resort. If you've got one lift feeding many runs then,
inevitably, the runs will be quieter - I'd say this is a good thing.

In a way true, but in fact misleading, North American resorts seem to think
the More numbered / Named runs the better so what would be one run in Europe
may have 10 or eleven different numbers / names in North America, often
split horizontally by where on the top you start and sometimes verticaly.

Don't get me wrong, I like skiing in Canada, but just remember the resorts
are small.

--

Chris *:-)

Old March 16th 09, 09:19 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Dymphna[_4_]

Ok, I went and looked at the biggest in Montana - Big Sky - here are
some stats.
Tried to get the pictures of different trails, but it doesn't seem to
want to post.

MOUNTAIN STATS
*Elevation*
Summit (Lone Peak) - 11,166 feet
Base (Mountain Village) - 7,500 feet
Base (Lone Moose) - 6,800 feet

*Ski Terrain*
3,812 acres - 150 named runs covering over 85 miles on three separate
mountains.

*Slope Difficulty*
20% expert
26% intermediate
14% beginner

*Vertical Drop*
4,350 feet

*Longest Run*
Liberty Bowl to Mountain Mall - 6 miles

*Average Lift Line*
Consistently recognized in national ski magazines for short or
non-existent lines.

*Average Winter Daytime Temperature*
20 degrees F

*Average Annual Snowfall*
400+ inches

*Lift Capacity*
23,000 skiers per hour

*Ski Season Opens*
November 27, 2008

*Ski Season Ends*
April 12, 2009

It then has a village at the bottom to supply what ever you need for
staying there. Everything from hotels to bungalows of different star
ratings.

--
Dymphna
Message Origin: TRAVEL.com

Old March 16th 09, 09:21 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Dymphna[_5_]

This is a smaller mountain near me. Red Lodge Mountain:

SEASON: November 28, 2008 – April 12, 2009

HOURS OF OPERATION
Upper Mtn: 9am - 3:30pm
Lower Mtn: 9am - 4pm

VERTICAL DROP: 2,400 Feet
Base Elevation: 7,016 Feet
Summit Elevation: 9,416 Feet

*LIFTS*

· 2 High-Speed Detachable Quads
· 4 Double Chairs
· 1 Triple Chair
· 1 Magic Carpet

LIFT CAPACITY
10,690 skiers per hour
TRAILS
· 73 trails and groomed slopes
· 30 acres extreme chute skiing
· 60 acres gladed tree skiing
· 1600 acres on Custer National Forest

TRAIL DIFFICULTY
· 14% Beginner
· 29% Intermediate
· 23% Expert

LONGEST RUN
"Lazy M" is 2.5 miles long

AVERAGE SNOWFALL: 250"

AVERAGE TEMPERATU 31º F

SNOWMAKING
· Full coverage on 31% of trails
· Largest in the Northern Rockies

CHILDREN'S PROGRAMS
· Daycare for 18 months to 4 yrs
· Ski programs for kids 3-12

FACILITIES ON THE MOUNTAIN
· Central Reservations
· Mountain Gift Shoppe
· PSIA Certified Instructors
· Complete Ski Rental & Repair
· 1 Full Service Restaurant
· 2 Bars
· 2 Cafeterias
· Day Care Center
· Terrain Park

--
Dymphna
Message Origin: TRAVEL.com

Old March 16th 09, 10:47 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Ace[_3_]

On Mon, 16 Mar 2009 16:19:19 -0500, Dymphna
wrote:

Ok, I went and looked at the biggest in Montana - Big Sky - here are
some stats.
Tried to get the pictures of different trails, but it doesn't seem to
want to post.

MOUNTAIN STATS
*Elevation*
Summit (Lone Peak) - 11,166 feet
Base (Mountain Village) - 7,500 feet
Base (Lone Moose) - 6,800 feet

So, less than 4500 ft, 1500m, of vertical. Not impressed.

*Ski Terrain*
3,812 acres - 150 named runs covering over 85 miles on three separate
mountains.

So, tiny then. Big resorts in the alps tend towards 500km of pistes,
that's to say 300 miles of groomed trails, and off-piste (ungroomed,
i.e. backcountry) runs aren't counted, even if they have a name.

*Slope Difficulty*
20% expert
26% intermediate
14% beginner

And?

*Longest Run*
Liberty Bowl to Mountain Mall - 6 miles

Hehe. You really think that's long?

Snipped the rest, as they're all irrelevant.

I'm not sure if you actually think you're trying to advertise your
local hills, but you are certainly doing a good job of coming across
as a bit of a fool, who's clearly no idea what skiing in Europe is
about.

Old March 17th 09, 08:39 AM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Jérémy

Dymphna wrote in
news
FACILITIES ON THE MOUNTAIN
- Central Reservations

Only relevant on two-way pistes, surely?

--
Jeremy
R1200RT
Old March 17th 09, 09:20 AM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Switters

On Mon, 16 Mar 2009 22:47:20 GMT, Ace allegedly
wrote:

So, less than 4500 ft, 1500m, of vertical. Not impressed.

I'd already thought this from the very first post. I'm not sure by which
dimension he's considering the Alps as smaller than the Rockies. Perhaps
in the number of degrees latitude they span.
Old March 17th 09, 11:32 AM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
john elgy

MoonMan wrote:
Dymphna wrote:

The Alps are small compared to the Rockies.

But the resorts are so much smaller in the rockies! I'm just back from "the
biggest resort in the Rockies", Lake Louise and it has 10 lifts, how many
lifts has Tigne for example got?

Lake Louise is indeed a tiny resort, but Whistler, (which IIRC is also
in the Rockies) is much larger and would consitute a mid sized resort,
such as Les Sept Laux, in Europe.

When I visited Lake Louise only 7 lifts were actually running. So you
did 43% better than me! If it did not have one of the most impressive
hotels in the world no one would have heard of Lake Louise.

As the other posters have pointed out teh number of runs mentioned at
Candadian resorts is a bit of a joke. To me it appears that if you are
skiing down a run and there is a tree in the middle of the piste then
the parts to the left and right will have different names and signage.

But it is different and it is fun - and you get plenty of time to read
on the bus.

John

Old March 17th 09, 11:35 AM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
john elgy

wrote:

[...]

What are these feet things?
Old March 17th 09, 11:49 AM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
MoonMan

john elgy wrote:
MoonMan wrote:
Dymphna wrote:

[...]

Apparently Lake Louise is technicaly bigger than Whistler (According to RCR,
Lake Louise's operating company) the theory is that Lake Louise is one
resort whereas Whistler (Which is almost twice as big) is actually two
resorts, Whistler and Blackcomb each of which are smaller than Lake Louise.

We decided, once we had walked across the lake and looked back, that from a
distance the Château looks more like a prison than a hotel.

Oh, and a warning, if you stay in Lake Louise, transfers to Sunshine are
only available on Sundays and Thursdays and Transfers to Norquay are only
available on Tuesdays and then only if you book at least two days in
advance.

--

Chris *:-)

Old March 17th 09, 11:50 AM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
MoonMan

wrote:

[...]

The things on the end of your legs?

Ski testing in Europe AH European Ski Resorts 2 December 6th 05 09:33 AM
Anything left in Europe?? JP European Ski Resorts 15 May 17th 04 05:59 PM
Skiing in Europe Adam Honey Marketplace 0 May 15th 04 07:30 PM
Moving to Europe JimTheBoarder General 0 December 4th 03 03:29 PM
europe NIC ATKINSON Alpine Skiing 11 December 4th 03 02:31 AM