Strap on bindings?

Old December 18th 07, 01:01 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
KENT

Default Strap on bindings?

Hello all,
First time here. My wife and I are novice back country skiers. I have Alpina
1550 back country boots. They kill my feet. Does anybody make strap-on NNN
bindings?
I would like to use my insulated work boots to ski with.
Thank you,
Bill

Old December 18th 07, 01:34 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
KENT

I was just thinking that I don't want strap-on bindings. What I need is a
strap-on boot bottom that I can put on my insulated work boots ( they are
comfortable ) that will attach to Rottofella nnn bindings. Hope this makes
sense.
Bill

Old December 18th 07, 06:44 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
EdV

On Dec 18, 7:34 am, "KENT" wrote:
I was just thinking that I don't want strap-on bindings. What I need is a
strap-on boot bottom that I can put on my insulated work boots ( they are
comfortable ) that will attach to Rottofella nnn bindings. Hope this makes
sense.
Bill

I have been thinking about making velcro strapped on NNN boot
bottoms. Since someone else is interested I will redouble my
efforts. Which is not to say I will have anything this month or next
but. . .this winter. . .this time I will really do it. My perspective
is; I have friends who want to ski and I have lots of NNN skis. Boots,
not so much.

Ed V.
Old December 18th 07, 06:52 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
EdV

On Dec 18, 7:34 am, "KENT" wrote:
I was just thinking that I don't want strap-on bindings. What I need is a
strap-on boot bottom that I can put on my insulated work boots ( they are
comfortable ) that will attach to Rottofella nnn bindings. Hope this makes
sense.
Bill

Oops! I thought NNN was the three pin old style. Sorry about that.

Ed V.
Old December 18th 07, 07:07 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Eric N.

On Dec 18, 7:34 am, "KENT" wrote:
I was just thinking that I don't want strap-on bindings. What I need is a
strap-on boot bottom that I can put on my insulated work boots ( they are
comfortable ) that will attach to Rottofella nnn bindings. Hope this makes
sense.
Bill

Bill,

I'm not sure that what you're looking for exists......There are some
options out there for you:

1. Find a boot that is comfortable--everyone's feet are a little
different, and not all manufacturer's boots
will fit on all feet the same way.

2. Both Karhu and Rossignol make NNN compatible Back Country boots.
Check with your ski shop and see what
they stock that you can try on.

3. Both Karhu and Rossignol also make a boot compatible with the 75mm
(3 pin) binding system. A 75mm boot will have
more of a shoe like feeling and a flatter sole (kind of like your work
boots). 75mm bindings are still available (Rotafella), you may have
to special order
them however.

Hope this helps,

Eric

Old December 18th 07, 07:18 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Melinda Shore

In article ,
Eric N. wrote:
2. Both Karhu and Rossignol make NNN compatible Back Country boots.
Check with your ski shop and see what
they stock that you can try on.

To be clear, they make NNN boots *and* NNN-BC, and those two
bindings/boots are not compatible. I think you're dead on
about finding comfortable boots first, though. I can't
imagine skiing in work boots.

Old December 18th 07, 07:57 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

On Dec 18, 5:01 am, "KENT" wrote:
Hello all,
First time here. My wife and I are novice back country skiers. I have Alpina
1550 back country boots. They kill my feet. Does anybody make strap-on NNN
bindings?
I would like to use my insulated work boots to ski with.
Thank you,
Bill

About the only "strap on" ski (for adults) that I know about are
something called the Karhu Sweepers. I don't know if they are still
making them.
I understand that the Karhu Sweepers are something like snowshoes with
a little glide and look like short fat skis with snowshoe like strap
on bindings.
I doubt if they are any good for more than walking on the snow.
Old December 18th 07, 08:02 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Dave M-K

You could try a Berwin binding. I think Akers out of Maine still sells
them. They are designed to be used with pack type boots but would probably
work with the boots you have. Don't expect much in the way of performance
though, they are designed so that you can keep your feet warm not to
maximize kick and glide. They are often used on polar expeditions and
are/were the binding of choice for programs like Outward Bound.

Dave

Old December 18th 07, 08:18 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Melinda Shore

In article ,
wrote:
About the only "strap on" ski (for adults) that I know about are
something called the Karhu Sweepers. I don't know if they are still
making them.

My understanding is that they're not. But, you can get
strap-on bindings that are made for arctic/antarctic-type
expeditions. Look for expedition outfitters.

That said, I think the premise (skiing in work boots) is
dubious.

Old December 19th 07, 01:55 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
KENT

Thank you for all of your suggestions. I think I need to try some other
brands. I might try doing what EdV said. Just cut the soles off the Alpinas
and rig up a way to strap them on.
Thanks again,
Bill