Kitesurfing

Old April 2nd 08, 01:30 PM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
Your Mom Says

Default Kitesurfing

Any Kitesurfers out there? I am thinking about trying it this summer.
I have a wakeboard...can I just change up the bindings or do i need to
buy a whole new board? Any advice on websites on learning or where to
buy or whatever? Any good windy spots around Boston that you know of?
Old April 4th 08, 12:55 PM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
Switters

On Wed, 02 Apr 2008 13:30:25 GMT, Your Mom Says
allegedly wrote:

Any Kitesurfers out there? I am thinking about trying it this summer.

Yep, I've been doing it about 18 months now.

I have a wakeboard...can I just change up the bindings or do i need to
buy a whole new board?

I tried wakeboarding for the first time last summer. The boards are
roughly the same but quite different. Wake boards have quite a lot of
camber in them, but in kite boards this is much less pronounced. Also,
kite boards (usually) only have foot straps, not bindings. As a
beginner, you don't want to be messing around with bindings.

Any advice on websites on learning or where to buy or whatever?

Definitely get lessons. Things can go very wrong, very quickly with a
big power kite, and being dragged up the beach face first, whilst almost
being a rite of passage, is also not fun, scary and potentially lethal.

Lessons will have you power kiting on land for 1/2 day or a full day,
then there are a series of progressive steps to take to get you in the
water and towards trying the board. You have to have good kite
control.

Don't believe any of those youtube videos that tell you it's safe with
today's kites to just rock up and give it a go.

Any good windy spots around Boston that you know of?

Can't help with that, but if you find a local instructor, then you'll be
taken to a good spot for learning anyway.

The learning stage is frustrating, much more so than snowboarding, but
once you're out the other side, and staying on the board, going upwind,
then it's great.

- Dave.

http://www.vpas.org.uk/ - Snowboarding the worlds pow pow.
Donek Sasquatch 162, Prior Pow 181, Burton Canyon 162

The Snowboard FAQ lives here - http://www.vpas.fsnet.co.uk/rssFAQ/