Another near death experience

Old February 27th 04, 03:44 AM
Scott Elliot

Default Another near death experience

This past weekend I took a brand new pair of classic racing skis out for a
run on our local trails. I will spare you the details of the first day.
The skis performed well and I had a good time.

The second day I went for a longer ski and was pushing a little harder. I
was very impressed with the skis and how well they handled fast down hill
curves. That was until I was coming around one particularly fast curve. I
was out of the track and entered the curve wide, cut close to the inside and
was heading out of the curve wide, near the left side. Just before the end
of the curve I hit a place where sun had been on the trail earlier, but had
now frozen hard. I almost recovered, but the left ski cut into the bank at
the edge of the trail and stopped. I did not stop quite so fast and ended
up doing a somersault or two and skidding to a stop. To my surprise the
right ski was broken. The top surface was broken almost all the way across
about half way between the boot and the tip. The ski was also delaminated
from all most the tip to the front of the wax pocket.

I managed to ski about another 5 km back to the parking lot with the right
ski top flapping up and down. I didn't do any fast curves.

The ski has now gone back to the distributor, hopefully for warranty
replacement.

Oh yes, the near death experience. That occurred when I told my wife what
happened.

Scott Elliot
http://www3.telus.net/selliot/

Old March 1st 04, 09:16 AM
Anders Lustig

"Scott Elliot" wrote in message news:m2z%b.2704$A12.1726@edtnps84...

Oh yes, the near death experience. That occurred when I told my wife what
happened.

Was made her madder, the thought that yet more $$$ would
be spent on XC stuff or the emotion that you had (again)
in your complete recklessness almost left her children
without a father?:-)

In a more somber mood, I had my near death XC experience
on Sunday: coming down a hill I saw a small bunch of people
beside the track at the bottom and I slowed down to have a
look. A male skier, late 50s - early 60s, in typical "Sunday
skier" outfit", was lying on the snow in the "recovery
position" (which he presumably had been put in), so my
immediate guess was it was an diabetic or epileptic case,
and that since an ambulance had no doubt been called for,
there´d be no point in my stopping.

For some reason I revised my judgement and proceeded to
take a look myself: the guy wasn´t breathing, his heart
had stopped - and everyone was just standing around,
waiting for the ET workers!

To cut a short story even shorter: I stepped in until the
ambulance arrived, and the tally now reads: Anders 0, Grim
Reaper 2. (The first failed attempt had been *much* harder,
especially as I knew the victim, and could blame myself
for not being there a few minutes earlier, not being good
enough or whatever.)

The guy was in all likelihood past resuscitation by the time
I began (and possibly dead of a massive cardiac arrest before
he hit the ground or the first person arrived on the scene),
but I think there is a moral to this story.

Anders