Geographic Feature N of Donner Lake and Truckee?

Old October 10th 08, 02:16 AM posted to rec.skiing.backcountry
AES

Default Geographic Feature N of Donner Lake and Truckee?

Standing out very dramatically on Google Maps (Satellite photo tab) in
the region immediately N of Freeway 80 between Donner Lake and Truckee
is a long, nearly straight-line feature that looks like an abandoned
railroad or freeway right of way (or creek bed?) running almost exactly
E to W, starting near Pioneer Trail and Euer Valley Rd E of Truckee and
extending across Northwood Blvd and along Ski Slope Way, ending above
about the midpoint of Donner Lake.

Anyone know what this really is?
Old October 10th 08, 03:59 PM posted to rec.skiing.backcountry
Bob

AES wrote:
Standing out very dramatically on Google Maps (Satellite photo tab) in
the region immediately N of Freeway 80 between Donner Lake and Truckee
is a long, nearly straight-line feature that looks like an abandoned
railroad or freeway right of way (or creek bed?) running almost exactly
E to W, starting near Pioneer Trail and Euer Valley Rd E of Truckee and
extending across Northwood Blvd and along Ski Slope Way, ending above
about the midpoint of Donner Lake.

Anyone know what this really is?

Power lines.

Bob
new to this ng - curious about BC after track skiing for the last decade...
Old October 10th 08, 04:58 PM posted to rec.skiing.backcountry
AES

In article ,
Bob wrote:

AES wrote:
Standing out very dramatically on Google Maps (Satellite photo tab) in
the region immediately N of Freeway 80 between Donner Lake and Truckee
is a long, nearly straight-line feature that looks like an abandoned
railroad or freeway right of way (or creek bed?) running almost exactly
E to W, starting near Pioneer Trail and Euer Valley Rd E of Truckee and
extending across Northwood Blvd and along Ski Slope Way, ending above
about the midpoint of Donner Lake.

Anyone know what this really is?

Power lines.

Thanks -- sounds reasonable.

However, zooming down to the max extent possible, doesn't show any
visible towers or other structures (for me, anyway), and there's no
obvious continuation of the feature at either the E or W ends.

Possibly an abandoned right of way? Or undergrounded?

I'll be up there this winter; will try to check it out on the ground.
Old October 10th 08, 07:37 PM posted to rec.skiing.backcountry
Alun Evans

On Fri 10 Oct '08 at 09:58 AES wrote:

In article ,
Bob wrote:

AES wrote:
Standing out very dramatically on Google Maps (Satellite photo tab) in
the region immediately N of Freeway 80 between Donner Lake and Truckee
is a long, nearly straight-line feature that looks like an abandoned
railroad or freeway right of way (or creek bed?) running almost exactly
E to W, starting near Pioneer Trail and Euer Valley Rd E of Truckee and
extending across Northwood Blvd and along Ski Slope Way, ending above
about the midpoint of Donner Lake.

Anyone know what this really is?

Power lines.

Thanks -- sounds reasonable.

However, zooming down to the max extent possible, doesn't show any
visible towers or other structures (for me, anyway), and there's no
obvious continuation of the feature at either the E or W ends.

I can see the towers?

http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=3...05445&t=h&z=18

Thin black lines.

The ones in the N gap are double towers.

Also at the E end there looks to be an electrical substation?

http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=3...05445&t=h&z=18

A.

--
Alun Evans
Old October 10th 08, 08:13 PM posted to rec.skiing.backcountry
Bob

AES wrote:
In article ,
Bob wrote:

AES wrote:
[...]

don't get too close - they are certainly *not* abandoned! ;-) Also,
these lines are clearly marked on topo maps. I'm looking at a 7.5' map
of the area in TOPO! (the national geographic app) and you can see three
parallel lines continue west, under I80, loosely follow old 40 (Donner
Pass Road), split and cut through Sugar Bowl and Royal Gorge, come
together and pass through Kingvale, etc...

Bob
Old October 10th 08, 10:20 PM posted to rec.skiing.backcountry
AES

http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=3...03182,0.005445
&t=h&z=18

Thin black lines.

The ones in the N gap are double towers.

You're absolutely right -- though they look more like "poles" than
"towers" to me, and the width of the right of way seems larger than
really needed.

I'll ask around next winter -- maybe a larger capacity installation was
originally planned, or there's some other story behind it.

Thanks . . .