Morrow Lithium too Stiff?

Old August 18th 06, 02:12 PM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
GoHabsGo

Default Morrow Lithium too Stiff?

Hi all,

I have been boarding for one complete season and wondering is the Lithium
known to be a stiff board? I am 5'11" & 175lbs and do mostly trails but
try to jump once and a while and can do a tail grab. The Pipe still is a
little intimidating so far. I can barely flex the thing. What are some
recommended boards for more flexibility? Sales are on now, I just bought
some Flow Amp 5 bindings for cheap. May need a new board down the road
too!

Thanks.
Old August 22nd 06, 10:33 PM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
lonerider

GoHabsGo wrote:
Hi all,

I have been boarding for one complete season and wondering is the Lithium
known to be a stiff board? I am 5'11" & 175lbs and do mostly trails but
try to jump once and a while and can do a tail grab. The Pipe still is a
little intimidating so far. I can barely flex the thing. What are some
recommended boards for more flexibility? Sales are on now, I just bought
some Flow Amp 5 bindings for cheap. May need a new board down the road
too!

Thanks.

I don't usually patrol the groups during the summer that much. From
what I read the Lithium is a medium-level freestyle board. Depending on
the model year, I've read comments that it is too flexy to it being "a
little stiff" which in my mind means it's a little soft because most
people have never ever even ridden a truly stiff board. What length are
you riding? I would guess a 158-161, I don't recommend anything shorter
than that (shorter versions of the same model are softer than the
longer versions). Why do you want more flex to your board? As you
become more experienced, you will learn how do focus more of you weight
and leverage onto the board and flex it more. If you are looking for a
new board, here are some of my suggestions.

Personally like Salomon boards (Definiton, Prospect), but they are
stiffer boards and so you wouldn't like them. I'm not a big fan of the
Burton Custom myself, too noodley and flexy for me, but you might like
it. Ride Timeless is another board I like. Here are some boards you've
probably never heard of - they don't go on sale often because they are
premium boards (and usually made in very small stocks).

Madd TwinTip 158 - (http://maddmikes.com/Shop1.html) my favorite board
at the moment. Has an extremely good edge hold without being stiff,
very damp so it will carve through frozen groomers and wet slop all the
same. Has a good pop out of the tail too. Also very light.

Donek Phoenix (www.donek.com) - shorter sidecut for quicker turns,
softer flex than the Incline model. The wood construction gives a
tenacious bite on edge hold, and is very responsive. I personally
preferred the more dampened handling of the Madd.

Donek Twin - ultra flexy, variant.

Hope this helps,
--Arvin

Old August 23rd 06, 02:40 PM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
GoHabsGo

"lonerider" wrote in
oups.com:

GoHabsGo wrote:
[...]

I think mine is a 161 or 163, can't remember off hand. I do ride mostly
the local hill which is 99% of the time, man made groomed trails often of
the very hard packed variety. I would also like to progress a little
more and get on the half-pipe. I think a bit more flex would help me in
this regard. Yes/No?

Personally like Salomon boards (Definiton, Prospect), but they are
stiffer boards and so you wouldn't like them. I'm not a big fan of the
Burton Custom myself, too noodley and flexy for me, but you might like
it. Ride Timeless is another board I like. Here are some boards you've
probably never heard of - they don't go on sale often because they are
premium boards (and usually made in very small stocks).

Madd TwinTip 158 - (http://maddmikes.com/Shop1.html) my favorite board
at the moment. Has an extremely good edge hold without being stiff,
very damp so it will carve through frozen groomers and wet slop all
the same. Has a good pop out of the tail too. Also very light.

Thanks for the recommendations. That Madd board sounds like what I need
or perhaps even the Burton Custom?

Will look around.

Thanks,

Larry

Old August 28th 06, 04:05 AM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
lonerider

GoHabsGo wrote:
"lonerider" wrote in
oups.com:

I think mine is a 161 or 163, can't remember off hand. I do ride mostly
the local hill which is 99% of the time, man made groomed trails often of
the very hard packed variety. I would also like to progress a little
more and get on the half-pipe. I think a bit more flex would help me in
this regard. Yes/No?

I'm my opinion, no. Flexy boards aren't good for hard, firm and fast
conditions. They would be better for heavy, sloppy snow and tight
spaces where you need to make quick adjustments - this includes tree
runs and rail fields in the park. For the type of trails conditions you
describe AND for halfpipe, I would prefer a stiffer board (doesn't have
to be ultra-stiff, but I mean I would go with more flex) with very good
edgehold. Especially for pipe you will want something a little stiffer
that will let you carve the flats and ride up the walls well.

Madd TwinTip 158 - (http://maddmikes.com/Shop1.html) my favorite board
at the moment. Has an extremely good edge hold without being stiff,
very damp so it will carve through frozen groomers and wet slop all
the same. Has a good pop out of the tail too. Also very light.

Thanks for the recommendations. That Madd board sounds like what I need
or perhaps even the Burton Custom?

I personally think the Custom isn't very good at firm/ icy, fast
conditions as it just doesn't have the edgehold, the sidecut or the
stability (start flapping) at speed. I think it's good for riding power
in the trees, jibbing and rails, and jumps.

So yes I would strongly recommend the Madd, that's just me. If you want
to see the Madd in action, here is a video of my riding it
(http://youtube.com/watch?v=4reNfnIXJvc). The halfpipe walls were
frozen hardpack and very firm. If you are in the New England area
(since you said most of your snow is man-made) you might be able to
demo a board.

Good luck

Old August 28th 06, 04:19 PM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
Neil Gendzwill

Just a quick glance through boardreviews.com shows that the Lithium is
considered pretty soft. At your size, I wouldn't go any softer for sure.

Neil
Old September 4th 06, 02:26 AM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
Christopher Cox

lonerider wrote:
GoHabsGo wrote:

[...]

Hi Arvin,

Which TwinTip "options" did you settle on? (Wide, WC, CB?)

Thanks!

Chris
Old September 4th 06, 05:22 PM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
lonerider

Christopher Cox wrote:
lonerider wrote:

Madd TwinTip 158 - (http://maddmikes.com/Shop1.html) my favorite board
at the moment. Has an extremely good edge hold without being stiff,
very damp so it will carve through frozen groomers and wet slop all the
same. Has a good pop out of the tail too. Also very light.

Hi Arvin,

Which TwinTip "options" did you settle on? (Wide, WC, CB?)

Thanks!

Chris

I settled on the standard TT, but instead of making me wait 6 weeks
while they built it, they offered me a unused prototype demo model they
made that had a tiny extra bit of carbon fiber in it and had the race
base. Here's the description I got for the Madd.

=======================
I believe for the shape it would be 6 or 7. I have 3 of the WC & WC +
CFB's we prototyped last spring and these were the next. This is
slightly between standard and WC. It has the same base as the high end
stuff which is way more expensive. It also has 3 CF stringers under
each binding which you will see. It is way softer than my board.
=======================

The reference to 6/7 is the stiffness on a scale of 1-10, with the WC
being like a 7-8 and the CF being a 9-9.5. The TT is definitely has
some stiffness to it, but it isn't at all the stiffest board I've
ridden and is very playful. Somehow they manage to still give it
amazing edgehold and high speed stability though. I'm 150 lbs btw, so
if you are heavier, the stiffer options (which I was wary of) sound
great. If I get a shorter madd (when they make one) I will get it with
WC and the race base.

Equipe 10 skate -- stiff versus soft [email protected] Nordic Skiing 5 March 15th 06 01:18 AM
FA: MORROW ESCAPE 182 similar to ride timeless, burton supermodel [email protected] Marketplace 0 November 30th 03 07:31 PM
FA: MORROW ESCAPE 182 similar to ride timeless, burton supermodel [email protected] Marketplace 0 November 30th 03 07:24 PM
Morrow Blaze ? zoti Snowboarding 0 October 27th 03 12:55 AM
Stiff board/flex boot or vice versa? Hadoken Snowboarding 5 October 10th 03 07:32 PM