How Young can a snowboarder be?

Old January 19th 07, 09:35 PM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
dengel

Default How Young can a snowboarder be?

I've been riding for a while, and have recently had my first kid - a
wonderful little daughter. I want to get her started as young as
possible in the sport, so that we can go as a family (my wife rides
too). Obviously age 0 is too young , but what is the consensus (if
any) on lower-limit ages for kids and snowboards? It isn't a question
I've ever had to consider before.

Training is already beginning, of sorts, in the form of general balance
training and stimulation of the vestibular system via spinning and
stopping, jumping, etc. But I've seen very young kids on skis; I'm not
sure how young a snowboarder can be.

Old January 19th 07, 10:29 PM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
Bert Root

"dengel" wrote in message
ups.com...
I've been riding for a while, and have recently had my first kid - a
wonderful little daughter. I want to get her started as young as
possible in the sport, so that we can go as a family (my wife rides
too). Obviously age 0 is too young , but what is the consensus (if
any) on lower-limit ages for kids and snowboards? It isn't a question
I've ever had to consider before.

Training is already beginning, of sorts, in the form of general balance
training and stimulation of the vestibular system via spinning and
stopping, jumping, etc. But I've seen very young kids on skis; I'm not
sure how young a snowboarder can be.

A friend of mine was told 10 for kids due to the strength required in the
legs to board. I have found kids as young as three being taught skiing
though. My friends son is 7 and was taking lessons when 6 and he handles
himself quite well though he is a fairly hefty young lad and has no problems
with stamina when out on the hill all morning. My daughter is currently just
two and will be coming next winter after a break for us of two years so will
see how she gets on with skis for a couple or more years and give her a
board when she feels ready.

((((º Bert Root® º))))

Old January 19th 07, 11:54 PM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
dengel

The 10 figure is way too high. I have heard 7.... don't know when Shaun
White started riding, but he was in videos by age 10.

Old January 20th 07, 03:33 AM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
Mike T

I've been riding for a while, and have recently had my first kid - a
wonderful little daughter. I want to get her started as young as
possible in the sport

My daughter is 4 and has a blast on skis, she has a Burton Chicklet 90 board
but isn't realy strong enough yet. There is a 5 year old at my hill who
rips.

My advice, start on skis as soon as she is able to walk up and down stairs
without holding onto anything. That's when my daughter really took off on
skis. Before that it was more work than play.

Mike T

Old January 20th 07, 02:18 PM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
chuck

On 2007-01-19, dengel wrote:
I've been riding for a while, and have recently had my first kid - a
wonderful little daughter. I want to get her started as young as
possible in the sport, so that we can go as a family (my wife rides
too). Obviously age 0 is too young , but what is the consensus (if
any) on lower-limit ages for kids and snowboards? It isn't a question
I've ever had to consider before.

Training is already beginning, of sorts, in the form of general balance
training and stimulation of the vestibular system via spinning and
stopping, jumping, etc. But I've seen very young kids on skis; I'm not
sure how young a snowboarder can be.

My friends boy started at 4. He also started on the lift at 4. Most lift
operators allowed his dad to lift him onto the chair with both feet
strapped, and he'd just ride off the chair. The kid was/is really small
for his age too. We always got laugh watching all the people
pointing/staring at the 30" tall kid blasting down the blue runs.