"Your Responsibility Code" Interpretation...Ugh

Old January 11th 08, 01:13 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Walt

Default "Your Responsibility Code" Interpretation...Ugh

ant wrote:
Walt wrote:
ant wrote:

In 01/02 (Colorado) I had a pair of Stockli super carvers, they were
primarily for eurocarving...

Eurocarving? WTF?

Fanging down hills doing loooong curves, with no stocks.

Fanging? WTF?

//Walt

Old January 11th 08, 05:20 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Walt

Bob F wrote:
"Walt" wrote in message

Eurocarving? WTF?

Fanging down hills doing loooong curves, with no stocks.

Fanging? WTF?

"No stocks"? WTF?

Stocks are poles. I understood that part.

It's the fangs that have me at sixes and sevens.

//Walt
Old January 11th 08, 05:26 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Bob F

"Walt" wrote in message
Bob F wrote:
"Walt" wrote in message

Eurocarving? WTF?

Fanging down hills doing loooong curves, with no stocks.

Fanging? WTF?

"No stocks"? WTF?

Stocks are poles. I understood that part.

It's the fangs that have me at sixes and sevens.

Two nations, divided by a common language.

Old January 11th 08, 06:37 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Walt

Bob F wrote:
"Walt" wrote in message
Bob F wrote:
"Walt" wrote in message

Eurocarving? WTF?

Fanging down hills doing loooong curves, with no stocks.

Fanging? WTF?

Ok. I looked it up:
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=fang

Let's hope it's definition 2 and not definition 5. Cause that could be
really painful if you stack.

//Walt
Old January 11th 08, 07:16 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
lal_truckee

Bob F wrote:

Two nations, divided by a common language.

Ah, I believe that'd be at least three nations separated by an uncommon
language...
Old January 11th 08, 09:00 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Richard Henry

On Jan 11, 10:26*am, "Bob F" wrote:
"Walt" wrote in message

Bob F wrote:
"Walt" wrote in message

Eurocarving? *WTF?

Fanging down hills doing loooong curves, with no stocks.

Fanging? *WTF?

"No stocks"? *WTF?

Stocks are poles. *I understood that part.

It's the fangs that have me at sixes and sevens.

Two nations, divided by a common language.

The implication there is that England and Australia are equivalent. I
think you might get some disagreement from both sides.
Old January 11th 08, 11:17 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
ant[_15_]

Richard Henry wrote:
On Jan 11, 10:26 am, "Bob F" wrote:
"Walt" wrote in message

Bob F wrote:
"Walt" wrote in message

Eurocarving? WTF?

Fanging down hills doing loooong curves, with no stocks.

Fanging? WTF?

"No stocks"? WTF?

Stocks are poles. I understood that part.

It's the fangs that have me at sixes and sevens.

Two nations, divided by a common language.

The implication there is that England and Australia are equivalent. I
think you might get some disagreement from both sides.

It was always interesting, being in a group of instructors from all over the
world, all of whom could discuss all kinds of things in complete
understanding of the words used or subjects discussed. Invariably, an
American would demand to know what X word was, or what was this thing we
were talking about?

--
ant
Don't try to email me!

Old January 12th 08, 03:42 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Dave Cartman

In article ,
"ant" wrote:

It was always interesting, being in a group of instructors from all over the
world, all of whom could discuss all kinds of things in complete
understanding of the words used or subjects discussed. Invariably, an
American would demand to know what X word was, or what was this thing we
were talking about?

My first guess is that the American is more likely to admit he doesn't
know everything in a group of pretentious ski instructors who believe
that they can "discuss all kinds of things in complete understanding of
the words used or subjects discussed."

But I'm guessing your pint is it's because the Norteamericano ski
instructors aren't as smart or educated as the European ones. Does that
say more about the American education system or the European job market?
(Quick question: Are Australians considered European, or do they just
lump themselves with them when it suites them?)

Another possible explanation might be the phenomenon of "ethnocentrism."
A comparison: if a group from the US were discussing American football
(a bit of trivia, American football is actually known as "American
soccer" in the other 15% of the world and played with racquets shaped
like pool skimmers) and the conversation shifted to "safetys." You
might ask "Oi! Wat's a soiftee!!!" (Because all Australians precede all
statements with an excited "Oi!") and the American might think, "wow!
what a poorly educated and uncultured individual, this Australian
doesn't even know what a "safety" is. Similar examples could be
provided using apple pie, baseball, and American Idol.

Dave
Old January 13th 08, 07:09 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Alex Heney

On Mon, 7 Jan 2008 14:31:16 -0800 (PST), Marty
wrote:

On Jan 7, 11:57*am, wrote:
Hey all,

I'm a level III snowboard and level II alpine instructor and was
recently presented with an interesting scenario and asked to give an
opinion regarding fault. Here is the scenario:

Jeremy, here is the entire code:

National Ski Patrol Responsibility Code

- Always stay in control, and be able to stop or avoid other people or
objects.
- People ahead of you have the right of way. It is your responsibility
to avoid them.
- You must not stop where you obstruct a trail, or are not visible
from above.
- Whenever starting downhill or merging into a trail, look uphill and
yield to others.
- Always use devices to help prevent runaway equipment.
- Observe all posted signs and warnings. Keep off closed trails and
out of closed areas.
- Prior to using any lift, you must have the knowledge and ability to
load, ride and unload safely.

Notice that they are not numbered. But, lets assume 1 through 7.

Look at #4:

- Whenever starting downhill or merging into a trail, look uphill and
yield to others.

The "Code" is better than I thought.

To me, trail is the same as line. #1 is at fault.

trail is NOT the same as line.

While there is undoubtedly fault on both sides, the *main* fault lies
with skier 2.

If another skier is moving, and you want to pass them, then you should
always pass far enough away that they *can't* move into your path by a
sudden direction change.

And even when they are not moving, this is a good idea, as I found out
to my cost last week :-(

I was about to pass in front of a standing skier, when she started
moving without looking. I managed to miss *her*, but couldn't avoid
hitting the front of her skis and crashing badly, pulling a calf
muscle in the process.
--
Alex Heney, Global Villager
Buy Land Now. It's Not Being Made Any More.