to become a casual skiier

Old March 7th 07, 01:56 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
mm

Default to become a casual skiier

I don't have the time nor the money to pursue skiiing as a hobby, ntot
to emntion that I am not young ..anymore.

I visisted Tahoe in summer (loved it) and winter (the only good part
was skiiing - I took intro lesson at the time, 4 years ago and it was
fun except that the boot caused me not to finish the whole lesson when
I was gettign good at it; that after vowing 10 years earlier to NVER
try skiing after seeing someone hurt her knee in an event in the
snow).

I now live so close to Tahoe that it'd be a bummer not to get up there
and view the scenary.

My questions are (I am not going to rent boot because I want it to be
a perefect fit)
- how many lessons - group lesson is all I can afford - would I need
before I get good enough to feel like I am skiiing?
- how risky is it to get injured?
- are there groups (in CA) to join these events on weekends? How do I
got about it?

Of course, I want to understand about *waxing* and *shaped* and all
that.

I want pain free experience and so I know that owing a set of skiis
and a boto is a must for me. Beyond that what are the expenses
involved if I were to go to Heavenly? Remmeber that I need to become
good enough and so I am taking about the expenses to become good
enough.

If it is not feasible for me, I'd rather not get involved at all
investing in skis and boots.

Old March 7th 07, 02:48 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Alex Heney

On 6 Mar 2007 17:56:56 -0800, "mm" wrote:

I don't have the time nor the money to pursue skiiing as a hobby, ntot
to emntion that I am not young ..anymore.

I visisted Tahoe in summer (loved it) and winter (the only good part
was skiiing - I took intro lesson at the time, 4 years ago and it was
fun except that the boot caused me not to finish the whole lesson when
I was gettign good at it; that after vowing 10 years earlier to NVER
try skiing after seeing someone hurt her knee in an event in the
snow).

I now live so close to Tahoe that it'd be a bummer not to get up there
and view the scenary.

My questions are (I am not going to rent boot because I want it to be
a perefect fit)
- how many lessons - group lesson is all I can afford - would I need
before I get good enough to feel like I am skiiing?

How long is a piece of string?

It depends very much on the individual. Some people will be able to
ski most of the blue runs after 3-4 lessons, others might need 10-12.

- how risky is it to get injured?

Not really all that risky nowadays, provided you don't do anything
stupid.

As with most sports, it is riskiest when you start, or when you are
doing it at a high competitive level. For most recreational skiers,
the risk is pretty low once they are over the initial learning curve.

- are there groups (in CA) to join these events on weekends? How do I
got about it?

No idea - I live in the UK :-)

Of course, I want to understand about *waxing* and *shaped* and all
that.

You don't need to worry about those at this stage. Wait until you are
skiing on a more than "casual" basis.

I want pain free experience and so I know that owing a set of skiis
and a boto is a must for me.

No. A set of boots, probably, although it is possible to get rentals
that are not painful.

But your own skis will make no difference to the comfort level
whatsoever.

And you certainly should NOT buy your own skis until you are at least
skiing all the blue runs comfortably, and probably getting on to some
of the single blacks.

If you get skis that are suitable for an absolute beginner, you will
soon progress to the point where you want/need better ones. And if you
get those better ones to start with, they will actually hold you back
in the early stages.

Beyond that what are the expenses
involved if I were to go to Heavenly? Remmeber that I need to become
good enough and so I am taking about the expenses to become good
enough.

You will need suitable clothing - Jacket, Pants, Gloves, Hat, Goggles,
socks, and some base layer stuff. How much base layer (and maybe
intermediate layer too) you need will depend on you as an individual.

You will need to pay for lift passes - generally cheaper by the
season, unless you are only doing 2-3 weeks worth in a winter.

And the lessons you have already mentioned.

Ski rental until you reach the stage where you are good enough to want
your own.
--
Alex Heney, Global Villager
Why doesn't DOS ever say "Excellent command or filename!"
Old March 7th 07, 02:54 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
John

|I don't have the time nor the money to pursue skiiing as a hobby, ntot
| to emntion that I am not young ..anymore.
|
| I visisted Tahoe in summer (loved it) and winter (the only good part
| was skiiing - I took intro lesson at the time, 4 years ago and it was
| fun except that the boot caused me not to finish the whole lesson when
| I was gettign good at it; that after vowing 10 years earlier to NVER
| try skiing after seeing someone hurt her knee in an event in the
| snow).
|
| I now live so close to Tahoe that it'd be a bummer not to get up there
| and view the scenary.
|
| My questions are (I am not going to rent boot because I want it to be
| a perefect fit)
| - how many lessons - group lesson is all I can afford - would I need
| before I get good enough to feel like I am skiiing?
| - how risky is it to get injured?
| - are there groups (in CA) to join these events on weekends? How do I
| got about it?
|
| Of course, I want to understand about *waxing* and *shaped* and all
| that.
|
| I want pain free experience and so I know that owing a set of skiis
| and a boto is a must for me. Beyond that what are the expenses
| involved if I were to go to Heavenly? Remmeber that I need to become
| good enough and so I am taking about the expenses to become good
| enough.
|
| If it is not feasible for me, I'd rather not get involved at all
| investing in skis and boots.

There are many ski councils (councils are made up from a group of local
clubs) affiliated with the Far West Ski Association. Probably closest
to you is Sierra League & Council.
http://www.fwsa.org/page/page/686860.htm
Heavenly is more expensive than other ski resorts in the area like
Kirkwood or Sierra at Tahoe so wouldn't be my first choice. You can get
hurt on the first run down the hill or ski ten years and not get hurt,
it depends. Contact Sierra League and find out what clubs are in your
area.

Old March 7th 07, 03:22 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
mm

On Mar 6, 6:54 pm, "John" wrote:
|I don't have the time nor the money to pursue skiiing as a hobby, ntot
| to emntion that I am not young ..anymore.
|
| I visisted Tahoe in summer (loved it) and winter (the only good part
| was skiiing - I took intro lesson at the time, 4 years ago and it was
| fun except that the boot caused me not to finish the whole lesson when
| I was gettign good at it; that after vowing 10 years earlier to NVER
| try skiing after seeing someone hurt her knee in an event in the
| snow).
|
| I now live so close to Tahoe that it'd be a bummer not to get up there
| and view the scenary.
|
| My questions are (I am not going to rent boot because I want it to be
| a perefect fit)
| - how many lessons - group lesson is all I can afford - would I need
| before I get good enough to feel like I am skiiing?
| - how risky is it to get injured?
| - are there groups (in CA) to join these events on weekends? How do I
| got about it?
|
| Of course, I want to understand about *waxing* and *shaped* and all
| that.
|
| I want pain free experience and so I know that owing a set of skiis
| and a boto is a must for me. Beyond that what are the expenses
| involved if I were to go to Heavenly? Remmeber that I need to become
| good enough and so I am taking about the expenses to become good
| enough.
|
| If it is not feasible for me, I'd rather not get involved at all
| investing in skis and boots.

There are many ski councils (councils are made up from a group of local
clubs) affiliated with the Far West Ski Association. Probably closest
to you is Sierra League & Council.http://www.fwsa.org/page/page/686860.htm

Thanks.

Heavenly is more expensive than other ski resorts in the area like
Kirkwood or Sierra at Tahoe so wouldn't be my first choice.

Okay, then no Hevanely. I said that becasue that 's where we were at
in 2002. I wasn't living in CA then.

You can get
hurt on the first run down the hill or ski ten years and not get hurt,
it depends.

Contact Sierra League and find out what clubs are in your
area.

Thanks a lot.

Old March 7th 07, 03:25 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Wayne Decker

The main thing to remember about lessons is that the instructor can only
take you as far as your conditioning, athletic ability, willingness to
practice, motivation, skill, ability to put your natural fears and phobias
aside, ability to listen and apply his or her recommendations, etc. will
allow. While your instructor can explain balance, pressure, edging,
rotation, compression, etc. Unless you can put them into practice--nothing
happens.

So what kind of athlete are you? How coachable are you? How motivated are
you? The answer to that will tell you how many lessons you will need. I've
seen adults skiing parallel and ready for the expert slopes in a single day
or less. I've also seen adults get no further than the pen despite days and
days of lessons. Believe me, that isn't the instructors fault.

The biggest need for beginners is time on the slopes to put what you learned
into "muscle memory" so that each motion becomes second nature--then you can
build upon each.

Take your lesson. Let the instructor give you a drill or 2 to work on. Then
practice, practice, practice.

In terms of danger: "Skiing is a dangerous sport. Accidents can and do
happen resulting in injury and even death."...from the release that you
agree to every time you buy a ticket or rent equipment. Remember that the
better a skier you are, the safer you are. In my own experience-and I've
been skiing for 32 years--I have gotten injured 3 times. The first time it
was my fault. That time was very serious. And I deserved it. It was 30
years ago and I was showing off. the other 2 times were from being run into
from behind by newbi snowboarders who weren't looking and paying attention.
I consider that a pretty good record considering I ski between 80 and 100
days a year. Day for day, I've had more mishaps driving than skiing.
BUT--and this is important-- I WERE A HELMET. Not because I fear my own
skill or because it is cool--because I don't trust others on the slopes.

BTW I'm 56. I have skiing friends that are octogenarians. Skiing knows no
age limit.

As for gear: remember that your boots are the most important piece of
equipment. If you are even half way serious about the sport, get your own
boots. Ask around. Get them from a reputable, expiriensed boot fitter.
Have custom footbeds made. This is really worth it.---and don't buckle the
instep buckle so tight that it cuts off the circulation to your toes and
breaks any of your metatarsals.

One last piece of advice for you to ignore. Don't try to ski runs your
ability won't let you ski comfortably. Don't let friends sandbag you. Stay
on the green until you are sure you are ready for blue. Stay on the blue
until you are sure your are ready for black. Trust yourself. You want to
have fun--not be screaming internally with fright and panic. I see "skiers"
all the time in places where they really shouldn't be. They become a danger
to themselves and to me.

I generally don't ski in the Tahoe area--or I'd invite you to come share a
day with me. I live 35 minutes south of Mammoth in Bishop. It's kind of
silly for me to head to Tahoe when the largest single resort on the west
coast is in my backyard.

I hope I answered some of your questions.

oups.com...

Old March 7th 07, 03:29 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
mm

On Mar 6, 6:48 pm, Alex Heney wrote:
On 6 Mar 2007 17:56:56 -0800, "mm" wrote:

I don't have the time nor the money to pursue skiiing as a hobby, not
to emention that I am not young ..anymore.

[...]

Got it.

- are there groups (in CA) to join these events on weekends? How do I
got about it?

No idea - I live in the UK :-)

Of course, I want to understand about *waxing* and *shaped* and all
that.

You don't need to worry about those at this stage. Wait until you are
skiing on a more than "casual" basis.

I want pain free experience and so I know that owing a set of skiis
and a boto is a must for me.

No. A set of boots, probably, although it is possible to get rentals
that are not painful.

But relying on the employees there to give me the right one didn't get
me pain free last time.

But your own skis will make no difference to the comfort level
whatsoever.

And you certainly should NOT buy your own skis until you are at least
skiing all the blue runs comfortably, and probably getting on to some
of the single blacks.

Okay.

If you get skis that are suitable for an absolute beginner, you will
soon progress to the point where you want/need better ones.

Okay, I'll rent it.

And if you
get those better ones to start with, they will actually hold you back
in the early stages.

Beyond that what are the expenses
involved if I were to go to Heavenly? Remmeber that I need to become
good enough and so I am taking about the expenses to become good
enough.

You will need suitable clothing - Jacket, Pants, Gloves, Hat, Goggles,
socks, and some base layer stuff. How much base layer (and maybe
intermediate layer too) you need will depend on you as an individual.

True. I was talking more about the fees to ski.

You will need to pay for lift passes - generally cheaper by the
season, unless you are only doing 2-3 weeks worth in a winter.

May be I should think about doign by season, a way to force myself go
there ...

And the lessons you have already mentioned.

Ski rental until you reach the stage where you are good enough to want
your own.

Right. I

--
Alex Heney, Global Villager
Why doesn't DOS ever say "Excellent command or filename!"
To reply by email, my address is alexATheneyDOTplusDOTcom- Hide quoted text -

Old March 7th 07, 03:41 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
mm

On Mar 6, 7:25 pm, "Wayne Decker" wrote:
The main thing to remember about lessons is that the instructor can only
take you as far as your conditioning, athletic ability, willingness to
practice, motivation, skill, ability to put your natural fears and phobias
aside, ability to listen and apply his or her recommendations, etc. will
allow. While your instructor can explain balance, pressure, edging,
rotation, compression, etc. Unless you can put them into practice--nothing
happens.

So what kind of athlete are you? How coachable are you?
How motivated are you? The answer to that will tell you how many
lessons you will need. I've seen adults skiing parallel and ready for the
expert slopes in a single day or less.

They must have done similar sports.

I've also seen adults get no further than the pen despite days and
days of lessons. Believe me, that isn't the instructors fault.

Of course not.

The biggest need for beginners is time on the slopes to put what you
learned into "muscle memory" so that each motion becomes second
nature--then you can build upon each.

Take your lesson. Let the instructor give you a drill or 2 to work on. Then
practice, practice, practice.

Then season pass is needed. I wouldn't mind doing that but my
job .. . Welll, I'll see. If I can get into this thing and get away
from the mundane of faily life afafirs, that'd be great.

In terms of danger: "Skiing is a dangerous sport. Accidents can and do
happen resulting in injury and even death."...from the release that you
agree to every time you buy a ticket or rent equipment. Remember that the
better a skier you are, the safer you are. In my own experience-and I've
been skiing for 32 years--I have gotten injured 3 times. The first time it
was my fault. That time was very serious. And I deserved it. It was 30
years ago and I was showing off. the other 2 times were from being run into
from behind by newbi snowboarders who weren't looking and paying attention.
I consider that a pretty good record considering I ski between 80 and 100
days a year. Day for day, I've had more mishaps driving than skiing.
BUT--and this is important-- I WERE A HELMET. Not because I fear my own
skill or because it is cool--because I don't trust others on the slopes.

I once had head on collison with a newbie doing roller blading. We
both were new but she was heading toward me. Lucky that I didn't get
permanent back injury. It hurt for a few days.

BTW I'm 56. I have skiing friends that are octogenarians. Skiing knows no
age limit.

I have nevere been athletic, not y chocie but academic work + not
being in the right climate for my nasal codntion kept me from doing a
lot of things I would have tried.

As for gear: remember that your boots are the most important piece of
equipment. If you are even half way serious about the sport, get your own
boots. Ask around. Get them from a reputable, expiriensed boot fitter.

You mean, buy a used one from the store like REI?

Have custom footbeds made. This is really worth it.---and don't buckle the
instep buckle so tight that it cuts off the circulation to your toes and
breaks any of your metatarsals.

One last piece of advice for you to ignore. Don't try to ski runs your
ability won't let you ski comfortably. Don't let friends sandbag you. Stay
on the green until you are sure you are ready for blue. Stay on the blue
until you are sure your are ready for black. Trust yourself. You want to
have fun--not be screaming internally with fright and panic. I see "skiers"
all the time in places where they really shouldn't be. They become a
danger to themselves and to me.

People don't have the ability to determine where they belong. Now I am
scared, to be run over by them

I generally don't ski in the Tahoe area--or I'd invite you to come share a
day with me. I live 35 minutes south of Mammoth in Bishop.

I heard that place. It's by LA?

It's kind of silly for me to head to Tahoe when the largest single resort on
the west coast is in my backyard.

No wonder you have been skiiing most of your life.

I hope I answered some of your questions.

You did. Thanks.

oups.com...

----= East and West-Coast Server Farms - Total Privacy via Encryption =----- Hide quoted text -

Old March 7th 07, 04:29 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
bdubya

On 6 Mar 2007 17:56:56 -0800, "mm" wrote:

I don't have the time nor the money to pursue skiiing as a hobby, ntot
to emntion that I am not young ..anymore.

I visisted Tahoe in summer (loved it) and winter (the only good part
was skiiing - I took intro lesson at the time, 4 years ago and it was
fun except that the boot caused me not to finish the whole lesson when
I was gettign good at it; that after vowing 10 years earlier to NVER
try skiing after seeing someone hurt her knee in an event in the
snow).

I now live so close to Tahoe that it'd be a bummer not to get up there
and view the scenary.

If you're close to Tahoe and have enjoyed what little skiing you've
done in the past, it would be criminal for you to not take advantage.
I'm not sure where you draw the line between skiing as a hobby and
casual skiing, but if you're interested enough to ask the question on
Usenet, you're interested enough to do something about it.

My questions are (I am not going to rent boot because I want it to be
a perefect fit)
- how many lessons - group lesson is all I can afford - would I need
before I get good enough to feel like I am skiiing?

It could be as little as one. Once you get to a point where you can
ski a green run from top to bottom and enjoy it, you should feel like
you're skiing, because you are. You might look at the blue runs and
think the people doing that are _really_ skiing, but they're looking
at the black runs and thinking the same thing, and the folks on the
black runs are looking at the people going off-piste, who are looking
at the people going into the backcountry and thinking "wow, they're
_really_ skiing"...there will always be another challenge available if
you want it, but once you can handle a basic green run, there will
always be something you can just relax and enjoy, too.

- how risky is it to get injured?

Nowhere near as risky as the drive to the hill is. Or the drive to
work, for that matter.

- are there groups (in CA) to join these events on weekends? How do I
got about it?

Of course, I want to understand about *waxing* and *shaped* and all
that.

I want pain free experience and so I know that owing a set of skiis
and a boto is a must for me.

As others have indicated, the only "must" is having your own
well-fitting boots. You've already learned what bad boots can do to
your enjoyment. Once you've got the boots covered, you can sort out
the rest of the gear and logistics bit-by-bit (and probably have a ton
of fun doing it).

Beyond that what are the expenses
involved if I were to go to Heavenly? Remmeber that I need to become
good enough and so I am taking about the expenses to become good
enough.

After the boot thing is resolved (somewhere between free and $1000)
Heavenly is what, about $70/day? Plus renting skis, getting there and
eating, maybe $150 maximum for a whole day? Not cheap, but if you've
been on skis before and enjoyed it, I'd guess you'll be addicted for
life after two days.

bw
Old March 7th 07, 12:49 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
VtSkier

We all have our opinions and most of us think we know
it all, about skiing at least. So here's a few of my
opinions...

mm wrote:
I don't have the time nor the money to pursue skiiing as a hobby, ntot
to emntion that I am not young ..anymore.

The biggest expenses in skiing are meals and lodging once
the initial expenses are out of the way. If you live close
to skiing and have had a good experience, you owe it to
yourself to make it a habit. You don't need to ski 120 days
a year to find it enjoyable. You don't need a huge income
either. If you are in Tahoe, ask the local skiers what they
make. No cost of travel or lodging and minimal cost for meals
will make skiing anywhere affordable. The kicker is making
a decent living near the ski area. Working for the ski area
unless you are a vice president of the area is no way to
make that decent living. Many areas have season pass prices
in the $300 to $500 a year range. Some with blackout dates
to make the pass more affordable.

I visisted Tahoe in summer (loved it) and winter (the only good part
was skiiing - I took intro lesson at the time, 4 years ago and it was
fun except that the boot caused me not to finish the whole lesson when
I was gettign good at it; that after vowing 10 years earlier to NVER
try skiing after seeing someone hurt her knee in an event in the
snow).

Skiing is an inherently dangerous activity. It is also inherently
addictive. Expect to be hurt at least a little bit at least once.
I've been skiing for 55 years. In that time I've seriously sprained
my ankle, lightly sprained my knee, broken my foot and have had
an AC separation of my shoulder. The first three injuries happened
early on and would not happen today because equipment is so very
much better.

I now live so close to Tahoe that it'd be a bummer not to get up there
and view the scenary.

Heavenly has the best views in the area. Homewood is next and is
VERY much less expensive.

My questions are (I am not going to rent boot because I want it to be
a perefect fit)

Please, own your own boots AND get them fitted properly by a
QUALIFIED bootfitter. Buy them new at the end of the season and
save 40 to 50 percent.

- how many lessons - group lesson is all I can afford - would I need
before I get good enough to feel like I am skiiing?

Mileage is the best teacher. However, the learning curve WILL be
shortened with lessons from a good instructor.

Don't bother with group lessons on a weekend day. These will
resemble cattle calls and you won't learn much. Sign up for
a group lesson on a weekday and it will turn out to be a private
or semi-private lesson usually.

- how risky is it to get injured?

See my note above. If you cannot absolutley afford to be in
recuperation from an injury to a lower extremity then do not
ski. This doesn't mean being out of work, just using crutches
for a few weeks.

- are there groups (in CA) to join these events on weekends? How do I
got about it?

There are a couple of online discussion groups (not usenet like
this one) which have the facility of hooking people up
as "ski buddies". Where I ski, I always have friends around,
so the service isn't needed, but I think it may be a good idea.

Of course, I want to understand about *waxing* and *shaped* and all
that.

Naw, why bother?

I want pain free experience and so I know that owing a set of skiis
and a boto is a must for me. Beyond that what are the expenses
involved if I were to go to Heavenly? Remmeber that I need to become
good enough and so I am taking about the expenses to become good
enough.

Yes, own boots. No, don't own skis until you can justify
the cost by adding up all your rental fees for one year. Some
people take a 2 or three years of rental fees to equal the
cost of a pair of skis.

When you want to own, go to local ski swaps and take someone
knowledgeable of both you and skis to help you.

If it is not feasible for me, I'd rather not get involved at all
investing in skis and boots.

Regardless of what any of us say, this needs to be your decision.
Remember, the sport IS dangerous AND addictive. It is also not
necessarily for the young only. Just those of us who want to stay
young despite our ages. I'm almost 65 and I ski with folks well
into their 80's.

Oh, by the way, The sport IS dangerous, but you can make it less
so by using your head. It also will be less dangerous as you
acquire knowledge and dismiss fear reactions. There are many things
which are right in skiing but counterintuitive in "real life".
Know these and it will help.

Sliding down a slippery slope is counterintuitive.

Knee injuries are most common and even modern equipment doesn't do
a good job protecting us. A lot of study has been done on the
situation and knowledge and thinking through before a knee-
threatening situation happens is the best line of defense.

Go here specifically and poke around the rest of the site for
more information:
http://www.vermontskisafety.com/faq_...iers_tips.html

There is an old video of this "training" kicking around. It's
kind of graphic, but very good and shows the problem very well.
If you can get a viewing, it will be worth the effort.

Old March 9th 07, 02:05 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Wayne Decker

Snip
"mm" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Mar 6, 7:25 pm, "Wayne Decker" wrote:
The main thing to remember about lessons is that the instructor can only
take you as far as your conditioning, athletic ability, willingness to
practice, motivation, skill, ability to put your natural fears and
phobias
aside, ability to listen and apply his or her recommendations, etc. will
allow. While your instructor can explain balance, pressure, edging,
rotation, compression, etc. Unless you can put them into
practice--nothing
happens.

So what kind of athlete are you? How coachable are you?
How motivated are you? The answer to that will tell you how many
lessons you will need. I've seen adults skiing parallel and ready for
the
expert slopes in a single day or less.

They must have done similar sports.

Basketball? Cycling? Yoga? ---not so much "similar" but that require an
understanding of BAS---Basic Athletic Stance---and balance.
[...]

I was not thinking of used and we don't have an REI anywhere near us so I am
unfamiliar with them. Used is ok---I guess--if it can be fitted properly.
Boots are very personal. Your feet are completly unique. Getting boots is
like going to the doctor. Make sure the fitter takes an interest in you.
Make sure he takes the time you need to get a good fit. Go somewhere where
they have a balance table so that the fitter can tell what, if any
adjustments need to be made for your stance. Take time to walk around in
them utill you don't walk like Frankenstine any longer. Make sure the boots
come with an iron clad guarentee that they will fix, adjust or replace your
boots anytime if you find they are uncomfortable. If your boots are
uncomfortable, NOTHING ELSE MATTERS.

Have custom footbeds made. This is really worth it.---and don't buckle
the
instep buckle so tight that it cuts off the circulation to your toes and
breaks any of your metatarsals.

One last piece of advice for you to ignore. Don't try to ski runs your
ability won't let you ski comfortably. Don't let friends sandbag you.
Stay
on the green until you are sure you are ready for blue. Stay on the blue
until you are sure your are ready for black. Trust yourself. You want
have fun--not be screaming internally with fright and panic. I see
"skiers"
all the time in places where they really shouldn't be. They become a
danger to themselves and to me.

People don't have the ability to determine where they belong. Now I am
scared, to be run over by them

If you trust your instincts--you can tell.

I generally don't ski in the Tahoe area--or I'd invite you to come share
day with me. I live 35 minutes south of Mammoth in Bishop.

I heard that place. It's by LA?

No. It is 1/2 way between LA and Reno ( 280 miles north of LAX and 220
miles south of Reno/Tahoe international) on the Eastern Side of the Sierras,
along the 395. It marks the boundry between the John Muir and Ansel Adams
wildernesses and borders on the lower part of Yosemity National Park. 32
lifts. 3500 square arcers of groomers and thousands more off pist--within
the patroled area. Check it out at www.mammothmountain.com BTW I do not
work for them I teach @ Bishop High School)

It's kind of silly for me to head to Tahoe when the largest single
resort on
the west coast is in my backyard.

No wonder you have been skiiing most of your life.

I hope I answered some of your questions.

You did. Thanks.

Good. You are most welcome. See you on the slopes.

snip!