Who's winning?

Old August 1st 03, 07:07 PM
Jay Pique

Default Who's winning?

I've been avidly reading every word of the excellently written and
highly informed threads of "16 Words", "Outofyourtree" and "OK,
people, still like Bush now?", and they leave me wondering why you
aren't sharing your erudition with a larger audience?

Just think - if these threads were broadcast to a more appropriate
forum you could REALLY start to make a positive impact on America, as
opposed to banging your head against the wall here trying to convert
the unconvertable. In any event, keep up the good work! You (you
know who you are) are on the verge of total victory!!

J(ust) P(lain) bored...
Now riding a spin-cycle, and injury free. So far.

Old August 1st 03, 08:51 PM
AstroPax

On Fri, 01 Aug 2003 13:07:36 -0600, Jay Pique
wrote:

You (you know who you are) are on the verge of total victory!!

More like "on the verge of being spanked".

http://news.telegraph.co.uk/news/mai.../01/wirq01.xml

Pique. Is that not a French name?

-Astro

Old August 1st 03, 09:43 PM
Jay Pique

On Fri, 01 Aug 2003 15:45:19 -0400, Walt
wrote:

Jay Pique wrote:

Now riding a spin-cycle, and injury free. So far.

Huh? You're riding on the washing machine? Is the spin cycle more
exciting than the rinse cycle?

Much, but it really depends on who else is on the machine with me.
The key is to wash a bunch of towels, and then arrange them just
slightly off-balance before the spinning kicks in. A real perq is the
availability of hot-moist-towels for apres-ride rubdowns. (use a warm
water rinse cycle)

As to who's winning, Mother Nature always wins: the snow melts and we're
left high and dry for the summer. Fortunately, she always gives us
another chance in the fall.

You're right, but we can always bitch about it. : )

JP
************************
Try it, you'll like it.
Old August 1st 03, 10:14 PM
Jay Pique

wrote:

You (you know who you are) are on the verge of total victory!!

More like "on the verge of being spanked".

http://news.telegraph.co.uk/news/mai.../01/wirq01.xml

Pique. Is that not a French name?

C'est un nom de plume!

JP
***************************
But I do like the ski area.

If I were Dubya I'da named my daughter Sugar.
Old August 1st 03, 10:38 PM
Walt

Jay Pique wrote:

Now riding a spin-cycle, and injury free. So far.

Huh? You're riding on the washing machine? Is the spin cycle more
exciting than the rinse cycle?

Much, but it really depends on who else is on the machine with me.
The key is to wash a bunch of towels, and then arrange them just
slightly off-balance before the spinning kicks in.

Try throwing a sneaker in for a really wild ride. Put the
other one in the dryer for a rhythmic soundtrack.

//-Walt
//
//

Old August 1st 03, 11:33 PM
Jay Pique

Jay Pique wrote:

Now riding a spin-cycle, and injury free. So far.

Huh? You're riding on the washing machine? Is the spin cycle more
exciting than the rinse cycle?

Much, but it really depends on who else is on the machine with me.
The key is to wash a bunch of towels, and then arrange them just
slightly off-balance before the spinning kicks in.

Try throwing a sneaker in for a really wild ride. Put the
other one in the dryer for a rhythmic soundtrack.

It's now on the list.

JP
Old August 8th 03, 08:47 PM
Sue

In message , Jay Pique
writes

J(ust) P(lain) bored...
Now riding a spin-cycle,

Well, that figures.
--
Sue ]
Old August 9th 03, 02:32 PM
Jay Pique

On Sat, 9 Aug 2003 10:32:32 +0100, Sue wrote:

In message , Jay Pique
writes

J(ust) P(lain) bored...
Now riding a spin-cycle,

Well, that figures.

Please elaborate.

Well, if you do something boring how do you expect to feel?

A chap on uk.rec.cycling said he saw his doctor about an injury and the
doctor said he should do indoor cycling on a machine; he told the fellow
that it's no fun unless you're outdoors with the variety of scenery,
wildlife, technical stuff and all. He must've made a good job of it
because the doctor ended up agreeing with him!

Got it - and you're right, spinning can be pretty boring. I generally
limit my sessions to 90 minutes or less and try to bring some good
music with me. It never hurts if there are some cuties sashaying
around either. What I like about it though is that you can really
fine tune your effort and cadence to how you feel at the time. You
can push it until your thighs burn, then back off and recover, then go
again. I'm not sure how good it is for skiing, but it has really
helped both my on and off road cycling.

JP
******************************
I'd still rather be skiing.
Old August 9th 03, 09:19 PM
Sue

In message , Jay Pique
writes

Got it - and you're right, spinning can be pretty boring. I generally
limit my sessions to 90 minutes or less

snip description of training.
If you can't do it without training I don't do it

I'm not sure how good it is for skiing, but it has really
helped both my on and off road cycling.

How much? An hour and a half sitting on a machine in a shed? Maybe to
save my life I could keep it up for 9 minutes! Blokes may be limited to
one train of thought at a time, but you're certainly resistant to
boredom!

In what way has it helped your cycling? OK it'd be a few less minutes
to the pub, but can you climb bigger steps, choose a line faster, land
bigger drops, recover a slipperier skid?
Does it prevent chainsuck -

Oh, OK, I'll get me coat...
--
Sue ];(

Old August 10th 03, 02:27 AM
Jay Pique

On Sat, 9 Aug 2003 22:19:26 +0100, Sue wrote:

In message , Jay Pique
writes

Got it - and you're right, spinning can be pretty boring. I generally
limit my sessions to 90 minutes or less

snip description of training.
If you can't do it without training I don't do it

shrug I guess I'll reply to one more of your posts before I write
you off as not worth it - I've got 30 minutes to kill before I go get
drunk. Believe it or not Sue, some people like to try and improve at
the activities they enjoy.

I'm not sure how good it is for skiing, but it has really
helped both my on and off road cycling.

How much?

I believe my power output has increased by approximately 1.21
jigawatts.

An hour and a half sitting on a machine in a shed?

It's not in a shed, it's at the rec center in Silverthorne. Given
that you can control the resistance I've found that I can get a great
workout in in much less time than it might take riding outside.
Hmmmm....maybe I need to be pushing it harder IRL...

Maybe to save my life I could keep it up for 9 minutes!

But that's the thing - you can lower the resistance such that you can
keep it up for significantly longer than that. Even a wildly out of
shape person should be able to spin their fat legs for 20 minutes at
zero resistance. But of course I'm not familiar with your physique.
(PPP)

Blokes may be limited to one train of thought at a time, but you're certainly resistant to
boredom!

As evidenced by our little exchange here. Seriously though, I'm
finding it easier over time to keep my mind occupied while riding for
longer durations. It's a great way to burn off stress, and I can do
some real thinking while I'm on the bike.

In what way has it helped your cycling? OK it'd be a few less minutes
to the pub, but can you climb bigger steps, choose a line faster, land
bigger drops, recover a slipperier skid?

More power, more endurance, less saddle sore and less ass to drag
around are a few of the direct benefits - not to mention the precious
extra few minutes at the pub. Yes, I can climb bigger steps (steeps?
steppes?) because of the above listed reasons. Decreased recovery
time is also a benefit. With regard to choosing a line faster, I'll
say yes to that as well. If you're sucking wind and your legs are
cooked it's difficult to get the bike to do what you want, especially
on the technical uphill sections. Speed is your friend on those.
Bigger drops? Probably not directly, but I'm more liable to be risky
if I feel strong on my bike.

Does it prevent chainsuck -

Three out of four riders surveyed say that proper Spinning can
significantly reduce the incidence of wheelsuck, but I'm not sure
about chainsuck.

Oh, OK, I'll get me coat...

Get it - and go ride!

JP