Zermatt

Old November 16th 03, 12:38 PM
Sandy Clyburn

Default Zermatt

Anybody ski here before?Best place to stay (moderate
price range) Can you really ski into Italy? Do they get descent sow cover?

Old November 16th 03, 06:46 PM
Nick Thomas

Sandy Clyburn wrote
Do they get descent sow cover?

There are cowsheds in Zermatt but I've never noticed any pigs there ;-)

Nick

Old November 16th 03, 07:21 PM
Johannes

Hi

On Sun, 16 Nov 2003 09:38:18 -0400, "Sandy Clyburn"
wrote:

Anybody ski here before?Best place to stay (moderate
price range) Can you really ski into Italy? Do they get descent sow cover?

For hotel you ask better the tourist Information. If you go to
www.zermatt.ch you see there are packages. Hotel with half board and
liftticket. You should look what tickets you got. For the whole aera
or only for Kleines Matterhorn (Little Matterhorn).

The italien part is Cervinia/Breuil.
At the soutside you got shure less snow than of the north
side(Zermatt). But it shouldn't be a problem at all, you got a
glacier at Zermatt.

Johannes
Old November 17th 03, 05:39 PM
S. Gione

You can indeed ski over to Italy ... but make sure you have the lift ticket
that will allow you to get back.

It's one of the most spectacular places our group has ever been to ...
simply immense. You could fit multiple Whistler/Blackcombs (noticed your
addr) just on the Swiss side, and a couple more on the Italian side.

We skied over to Italy almost every day ... it's about 6,000 ft vertical on
both sides, with really long cruisers. If you want hairy stuff, it is
there.

Zermatt is probably one of the most expensive European resorts. Some of the
guys in our group said they would probably stay on the Italian side,
Cervinia, when they go back ... it's most likely less expensive.

The last comment is that Zermatt, unlike Whistler/Blackcomb, is difficult to
navigate around. There are three ski areas on the Swiss side and the lifts
are not close to each other. Unless your hotel is close to one of them,
take a cab ... it's 2 or 3 SFr and worth avoiding the long walks.

P.S. - the food is better in Cervinia.

Old November 17th 03, 07:04 PM
mike

"S. Gione" wrote in message
.. .
You can indeed ski over to Italy ... snip

P.S. - the food is better in Cervinia.

"Sandy Clyburn" wrote in message
Anybody ski here before?Best place to stay (moderate
price range) Can you really ski into Italy? Do they get descent sow

cover?

Blimey, did you actually eat anything Zermatt side?

First time I've seen this opinion!!!!!!

Food maybe cheaper but certainly not better and IMHO food is better value on
Zermatt side...and better surroundings, ambience etc etc. But... if you like
bland pasta and chips.....

Mike

Old November 17th 03, 10:37 PM
S. Gione

"mike" wrote in message

"S. Gione" wrote in message
.. .
You can indeed ski over to Italy ... snip

P.S. - the food is better in Cervinia.

"Sandy Clyburn" wrote in message
Anybody ski here before?Best place to stay (moderate
price range) Can you really ski into Italy? Do they get descent sow

cover?

Blimey, did you actually eat anything Zermatt side?

First time I've seen this opinion!!!!!!

Food maybe cheaper but certainly not better and IMHO food is better value

on
Zermatt side...and better surroundings, ambience etc etc. But... if you

like
bland pasta and chips.....

Blimey?????

Good/bad food is a subjective thing. I retract my prior statement, which
was a personal opinion ... I obviously did not consider the preference(s) of
the U.K. gourmand(s).

Fortunately/unfortunately, we stayed in Zermatt and had every evening meal
there. We were only able to enjoy the Italian lunches (definitely not bland
pasta and chips) al fresco after spending the morning getting up-and-over
the "hill". We spent a week trying to find a variety of evening meals in
Zermatt ... it seems there is pretty much "standard fare" there, good food
but no variety. I think there is only one menu printer there who only
changes the typeface and restaurant name.

Old November 18th 03, 06:43 AM
Michael MacClancy

"S. Gione" wrote in message
. ..
.... I obviously did not consider the preference(s) of
the U.K. gourmand(s).

Your insults continue. There are UK gourmets, too!
___
Michael MacClancy

Old November 18th 03, 07:55 AM
geraint

sgwennodd "S. Gione" yn neges
.. .
toriad
We skied over to Italy almost every day ... it's about 6,000 ft vertical

on
both sides, with really long cruisers. If you want hairy stuff, it is
there.

Though probably not that hairy. The longest run is IIRC about 12Kms (or is
that 17? All the way down to Valtourneche) - and you can travel huge
distances there, but there isn't really anything vastly challenging. The
blacks would be difficult reds in many other places (e.g. Zermatt). The
scenery on both sides is spectacular though.

Zermatt is probably one of the most expensive European resorts.

You've only got to look at the type of dickhead which stays there to see
that :-|

Some of the
guys in our group said they would probably stay on the Italian side,
Cervinia, when they go back ... it's most likely less expensive.

Less expensive, more down to earth, better food, superb cakes, and despite
being a concrete lump on a remote mountain, look out of any window, and the
view makes up for it!

The last comment is that Zermatt, unlike Whistler/Blackcomb, is difficult

navigate around. There are three ski areas on the Swiss side and the

lifts
are not close to each other. Unless your hotel is close to one of them,
take a cab ... it's 2 or 3 SFr and worth avoiding the long walks.

If you do stay in Cervinia, you've also got to plan if you want to ski in
any area in Zermatt apart from the Klein Matterhorn. It takes time. Get the
first lift up, and the last back, and you'll probably have a few hours in
Zermatt. Miss the lifts back and you're in for an expensive night!

hwyl!
geraint.

Old November 18th 03, 08:34 AM
Michael MacClancy

"geraint" wrote in message
sgwennodd "S. Gione" yn neges
Some of the
guys in our group said they would probably stay on the Italian side,
Cervinia, when they go back ... it's most likely less expensive.

Less expensive, more down to earth, better food, superb cakes, and despite
being a concrete lump on a remote mountain, look out of any window, and

the
view makes up for it!

The view of the Matterhorn isn't half as good from Cervinia as from Zermatt.
___
Michael MacClancy

Old November 18th 03, 03:52 PM
geraint

sgwennodd "Michael MacClancy" yn neges
toriad
The view of the Matterhorn isn't half as good from Cervinia as from

Zermatt.
And both are crap compared to the view from the lone red that goes off round
its base....

hwyl!
geraint.