fischer cold vs warm skis

Old March 1st 07, 12:31 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
martin

Default fischer cold vs warm skis

Could anyone please tell me what the differences are between the warm
and cold bases? I am looking at the rcs skating series
Thanks for any and all replies
-Martin

Old March 2nd 07, 12:56 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Captain Nordic

Martin,

Not that much difference between the Cold and the Plus in the RCS
skate. Slight difference in the amount of graphite in the base
material (plus has more), and then a different grind pattern (more
aggressive grind on the Plus than the Cold). Other than that, they're
the same, as far as I've been told. The classic skis have more of a
flex difference, but the Skate flexes are supposedly the same between
the two.

Mark

Old March 5th 07, 06:21 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
kskier

The cold base is much harder p-tex, and therefore is better suited for
colder conditions, and does not typically take wax as well as the plus
bases. Unless you are skiing in the artic,,,,,and aren't being
sponsored by a big ski company, and have a ski for every snow
condition, I would go with the plus base. There are grinds available,
that will make your plus base do very well in cold conditions.

Old March 6th 07, 12:19 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Bjorn A. Payne Diaz

On Mar 5, 1:21 pm, "kskier" wrote:
The cold base is much harder p-tex, and therefore is better suited for
colder conditions, and does not typically take wax as well as the plus
bases. Unless you are skiing in the artic,,,,,and aren't being
sponsored by a big ski company, and have a ski for every snow
condition, I would go with the plus base. There are grinds available,
that will make your plus base do very well in cold conditions.

Yes, the cold has a 3000 petex and the plus has a 2000 petex. After
years of skiing on Finnish skis with 4000 petex, an even harder petex,
I'm finding some interesting aspects of the harder petex. Peltonen
felt that the 4000 petex was faster than the 2000 petex under nearly
all conditions. The problem that I find is that it takes much longer
to get up to speed. The grind seems to leave the ski with some sharp
structure, and it takes more skiing and waxing to get the 3000 up to
speed than the 2000, and it seems more time to get the 4000 up to
speed than the 3000....but once they're up to speed, they're
wonderful. I'd say most people are not patient enough to get the skis
up to speed, and if you get the skis re-ground, you're almost starting
over. Once the skis are running well, it's my feeling that 3000 petex
is a bit better than 2000 for anything cold, harsh or sharp. They also
hold wax really well in tough conditions.

My very opinionated opinion,

Jay