Resorts suitable for family of mixed abilities

Old February 3rd 04, 10:38 AM
Puerto Pollensa Travel Guide

Default Resorts suitable for family of mixed abilities

Help please. We've decided to go skiing as a family next year 2005
probably at Easter (end March) & cannot decide on a resort. We parents
are complete beginners but intend to take some dry ski lessons first &
also at Milton Keynes (real snow). Our sons (aged 16 & 18) will have 4
& 6 weeks experience from school trips & are looking for somewhere
with a variety of runs. We've heard that Austria is best for beginner
ski instruction but I also like the idea of chalets (mostly in France)
or club hotels & am not too keen on the purpose-built resorts (les
Arcs etc.) So any suggestions please.

We have looked at Cervinia & have now received suggestions of Alpe
d'Huez & Serre Chevalier - all good for late snow. The French resorts
look a lot larger than the Italian one - is that good or bad?

Zed
Old February 4th 04, 12:28 AM
John Owens

"Puerto Pollensa Travel Guide" wrote in message
om...
Help please. We've decided to go skiing as a family next year 2005
probably at Easter (end March) & cannot decide on a resort. We parents
are complete beginners but intend to take some dry ski lessons first &
also at Milton Keynes (real snow). Our sons (aged 16 & 18) will have 4
& 6 weeks experience from school trips & are looking for somewhere
with a variety of runs.

Andorra is high and has great tuition (mostly English speaking, if you
include Australian !)
It is cheap.
The combined Soldeu/Pas de la Casa resort should have lots of runs for
everybody including the teenagers.

We took a mixed group there last year and it worked well.
Going to the Pyrenees again this year but the French side, Pyrenees 2000.

Lots of cheap flights into the area as well !

--
John Owens

Fax 44 1509 89 08 22
www.GoodViews.co.uk

Old February 4th 04, 12:48 PM
Simon Watkins

"Puerto Pollensa Travel Guide" wrote in message
om...
Help please. We've decided to go skiing as a family next year 2005
probably at Easter (end March) & cannot decide on a resort. We parents
are complete beginners but intend to take some dry ski lessons first &
also at Milton Keynes (real snow). Our sons (aged 16 & 18) will have 4
& 6 weeks experience from school trips & are looking for somewhere
with a variety of runs. We've heard that Austria is best for beginner
ski instruction but I also like the idea of chalets (mostly in France)
or club hotels & am not too keen on the purpose-built resorts (les
Arcs etc.) So any suggestions please.

We have looked at Cervinia & have now received suggestions of Alpe
d'Huez & Serre Chevalier - all good for late snow. The French resorts
look a lot larger than the Italian one - is that good or bad?

Also consider Livigno in Italy. It's a high resort, so should be fine at
end-March, it's duty free (thus cheap), and offers a good range of skiing of
largely intermediate level runs. I took my family there last year, and
we've vowed to return - one of the best ski trips we've had to be honest.

Simon

Old February 5th 04, 01:01 AM
Tommy Petersson

(Puerto Pollensa Travel Guide) wrote in
om:

Help please. We've decided to go skiing as a family next year 2005
probably at Easter (end March) & cannot decide on a resort. We parents
are complete beginners but intend to take some dry ski lessons first &
also at Milton Keynes (real snow). Our sons (aged 16 & 18) will have 4
& 6 weeks experience from school trips & are looking for somewhere
with a variety of runs. We've heard that Austria is best for beginner
ski instruction but I also like the idea of chalets (mostly in France)
or club hotels & am not too keen on the purpose-built resorts (les
Arcs etc.) So any suggestions please.

We have looked at Cervinia & have now received suggestions of Alpe
d'Huez & Serre Chevalier - all good for late snow. The French resorts
look a lot larger than the Italian one - is that good or bad?

Zed

I don't think Cervinia is such a good alternative. You will stay in
Cervinia, while the experienced skiers quickly will take the lists over to
the better pistes in Zermatt.

Val d' Isère is a good alternative (but don't stay in La Daille or Tignes).
You have many places in the system where you can take the same lift, take
different coloured pistes - and end up in the same place. The better skiers
can then take the blacks 3 times while you cruise down the other 1 or 2
times, then you move to the next lift.

/Tommy P.

Old February 5th 04, 08:33 AM
MoonMan

Tommy Petersson wrote:
[...]

Why not Tignes? There are better beginers runs back into the resort.

--
Chris *:-)

Downhill Good, Uphill BAD!

www.suffolkvikings.org.uk

Old February 5th 04, 12:18 PM
Richard and Barbara

Cervinia, absolutely. You'll love it. On sunny days, half the skiers from
Zermatt (like us) will be there to enjoy the easy skiing and great Italian
food.

Richard

Old February 5th 04, 08:06 PM
PSmith

I tend to think that the restaurants serving food on the slopes of Cervinia
are inferior to the ones available in Zermatt. In comparisson, they are
cheap though.

The only good restaurant is the one beneath Plan Maison (on the western
side): it is a stone building adjacent to an old chair lift and it has a
huge outdoor section with good service.

Any other suggestions for good food in Cervinia?

regards,

Paul Smith

. ..

Old February 5th 04, 10:50 PM
Richard and Barbara

Chalet Etoile above Plan Maison is a favorite of everyone. On sunny days, a
reservation is essential.

Richard

Old February 6th 04, 12:32 AM
Tommy Petersson

"Richard and Barbara" wrote in
:

Chalet Etoile above Plan Maison is a favorite of everyone. On sunny
days, a reservation is essential.

Richard

Yes, their "Three different Pasta" lunch is very good, otherwise I found
nothing better at the Cervinia slopes than just about anything in Zermatt.
Even though they are crazy about having molten cheese on *everything* in
Zermatt.

About Tignes: Yes, it's correct that the runs down are easier, but you can
anyway always (as a beginner) take the lift down at the end of the day.
It's not only Face that gets bad in the afternoon. It's pretty much easy
skiing to find both in Val, La Daille and Tignes - but evening/night life
in Tignes is absymal compared to Val.

/Tommy P.
Old February 6th 04, 07:24 AM
Ace

On Thu, 5 Feb 2004 21:06:09 +0100, "PSmith"
wrote:

I tend to think that the restaurants serving food on the slopes of Cervinia
are inferior to the ones available in Zermatt. In comparisson, they are
cheap though.

The only good restaurant is the one beneath Plan Maison (on the western
side): it is a stone building adjacent to an old chair lift and it has a
huge outdoor section with good service.

Any other suggestions for good food in Cervinia?

There's one between the second and third of the new 6-man lifts back
up to the top (from the Plan Maison area) which has a self-service on
the top level but a rather nice waiter service restaurant tucked away
down the stairs at the back, with views out over the hillside. Good
food and cheap, but slow service when we were there at the start of
December, but it seemed that the whole of Switzerland had descended on
Zermatt that weekend (good snow and official opening) so it was
probably exceptional.

--
Ace (brucedotrogers a.t rochedotcom)