Janne G - video solution ?

Old April 18th 06, 06:59 PM

Default Janne G - video solution ?

Hi Janne,

I have seen a variety videos over on youtube.com. I like that service /
website. It's easy.

This seems to be the simplest way to get videos out there

How might this work for world cup videos ?

Thanks

DT

Old April 19th 06, 01:57 PM

Hey DT,

The yourtube.com service will not work for world cup videos because the
files you can upload are max 10 min and max 100MB. I expect that other
video upload sites will all have similar limits because they can't
afford to give away too much bandwidth for free. However, if you do
manage to find a similar service with an upload limit high enough (the
largest file this year was 1.6GB), it might be worthwhile trying it
out. The advantage of this system is that files will not dissappear
over time - you will still be able to download last year's videos.

Colin

Old April 24th 06, 07:07 AM

I concur with Bob. Thanks so much Janne G and others that assisted with
the Torrents. I really appreciated being able to watch international XC
World Cup action.

Side note, I was wondering if anyone had any older video files they
could torrent, namely Eloffson or Dahlie or other top skiers previous
to what are on Jannie's FTP site or the torrents this year.

Janne G, also if you could email me directly, would be interested in a
mailing address. Want to send you something in thanks for the great
feeds all season. Thanks.

Old April 25th 06, 12:48 PM

After reading these posts I found an earlier thread that told me how to
access these torrents. But it has just taken me 6 hours to download the
smallest file I could see on Denness, on a broadband connection using
BitComet.
Is this because I am doing something wrong, or is there a better way,
or have I just missed the boat?
Thanks.

Old April 25th 06, 02:18 PM

Hugh P wrote:
After reading these posts I found an earlier thread that told me how to
access these torrents. But it has just taken me 6 hours to download the
smallest file I could see on Denness, on a broadband connection using
BitComet.
Is this because I am doing something wrong, or is there a better way,
or have I just missed the boat?
Thanks.

Hugh,

You've sort of missed the boat on the download season. Torrrents are
often short lived. They rely on people seeding (uploading) the file at
the same time they are downloading the file. So if you try to download
a file weeks/months after everyone else, then there might not be many
people still seeding it. You can always ask people to seed it again for
you, but then you are asking them to give away bandwidth for nothing.

At the best this winter the torrents were as fast if not faster than ftp.

Craig
Old April 25th 06, 05:09 PM

Don't really understand this bandwidth for nothing comment. Yeah some
folks do pay for upload bandwidth. If you have a free machine and free
upload bandwidth, it is a great service to the broader RSN community to
leave bit torrent running.

I am leaving my bittorrent on for folks that missed the winter posts.
Sorry I don't have a huge upload pipe but it should be on the majority
of the time.

Old April 25th 06, 10:50 PM

Thanks to both of you.
My bandwidth is certainly free, as I get it from my mother. When at
home, I only have a very feeble dial-up, and will not be taking any
video over it!
I will download what I can now, and keep an eye out next winter (if I
can't teach my parents to put the Eurosport coverage onto DVD, as I had
hoped last winter).

Old April 25th 06, 11:34 PM

I have unlimited upload bandwidth (at a capped speed ofc) with my
service provider. I did leave all torrents running until a few weeks
after the end of the season. I stopped seeding because I needed to
clear up hard drive space and I wanted to download & seed other
non-skiing torrents. If there is a specific request, I can restart my
skiing seeds temporarily, but I'm not about to leave them running all
summer. With BitTorrent, the best way is to download files within a
week or two of when they are uploaded (in the future - I realize you
cannot change the past).

Hugh: Are there any specific torrents that you would like me to reseed
until you have download them?

Old April 26th 06, 10:27 PM

Wow, what a kind offer.
No, there are no specifics that I am after: between us, my girlfriend
and I like watching any skiing we can find, and are interested in both
classic and skate, men and women.
So a suitable (almost random) selection might be (I think I already
have Holmenkoll 50km men, and most of Turin women's relay, 30km and
pursuit) the Turin men's pursuit, Davos classics, Holmenkoll women's
30km, Val di Fiemme relays - unless there are any you would
particularly recommend for excitement, technique views, etc.
Is this overly demanding?
Many thanks,
Hugh