Wood Ski Top Finish

Old December 26th 05, 11:14 PM

Default Wood Ski Top Finish

Just found an old set of woodies at a resale shop. The bases are in
fairly good shape. The tops have the finish scraped/worn off in a few
spots. Does anyone know what was normally used on the tops of wood
skis?

g.c.
Old December 27th 05, 03:35 AM

George Cleveland wrote:
Just found an old set of woodies at a resale shop. The bases are in
fairly good shape. The tops have the finish scraped/worn off in a few
spots. Does anyone know what was normally used on the tops of wood
skis?

Sometimes tinplate is mundanely used to patch wooden skis.

All the best, Timo

Department of Accounting and Business Finance ; University of Vaasa
http://www.uwasa.fi/~ts/ ; FIN-65101, Finland
Cross-country skiing page: http://www.uwasa.fi/~ts/info/timoski.html

Old December 27th 05, 05:55 AM

I have used and repaired woods for many years -- it's hard to beat a good
pair of woods on a very cold day for glide. I use Spar varnish or Varathane
or similar product. Be sure to clean the area well to clean off any wax,
etc; then lightly sand the area to be coated. I use a small brush or even a
cue tip to apply the finish to a cut or small damaged area. A second or even
third coat is a good idea. This is simple wooden ski maintenance which will
protect the ski and help it last longer.

Good luck.
Ron

Old January 2nd 06, 05:33 PM

The suggestions for repair of the tops of the wood skis sound good -
with one exception. I have a pair of =C5snes skis with an oiled finish
on the top. They are better re-oiled. Varnish probably would not
stick anyway. I use linseed oil. I cannot at this point remember why,
but I suppose I must have been told it was the right thing to do.

Alex

Vasaloppet finish 32 degrees Nordic Skiing 5 March 24th 05 05:50 PM
repairing wood skate skis wintermutt Nordic Skiing 1 February 21st 05 09:33 PM
Old wood skis Just Me Alpine Skiing 20 October 15th 04 10:33 PM
Restoring Camber on Old Wood Skis Bob Maswick Nordic Skiing 4 January 13th 04 03:56 PM
wood ski base prep question Sanjay Arwade Nordic Skiing 1 January 5th 04 11:20 PM